Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2007, 04:10 AM   #1

I sent my DNS waiver form to DIRECTV on Thursday and it was activated Monday 1/29, great service. This process couldn't be easier.

Margaret - She who must be obeyed.
Tincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2007, 04:10 AM   #2

I sent my DNS waiver form to DIRECTV on Thursday and it was activated Monday 1/29, great service. This process couldn't be easier.

Margaret - She who must be obeyed.
Tincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 06:14 AM   #3
paz

Wow! Our DNS took several weeks and 2 or 3 phone calls to get activated when we first sent in our request a while back. Maybe with Dish loosing DNS and so many customers switching to Direct, Direct has beefed up their staff processing DNS requests and are processing them more quickly. Good news for customers.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 09:55 AM   #4

I am in the process of switching from Dish to Direct. What is DNS?

"Lake House": 2001 Sierra 30BHSS
cdrsmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:29 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
DNS I think stands for "Distant Network Service"
If you want a form you can go to Directv and sort through there website and download the PDF file. Fill it in with the required info and send it back. I have it on file and if you can't find it on Directv's site, I'd be happy to send one to you.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:47 AM   #6

I went to the website and found the form. However, when I signed up this morning for Direct, I asked about my rv and moving a reciever from the house to the rv when I travel. They said no problem and in fact, I am getting a free extra dish and tripod from them to do so. The form says something like "the sat. antenna.... is attached to, and the receiver is located in the vehicle and is not intended for use in a fixed dwelling". That is not the case for me.

Was I given incorrect information from the sales lady??

Old 02-05-2007, 11:33 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You won't get the same answer from anyone at Directv about RV usage et all.
What I did.
I took a receiver from the house and put in the RV. Everything works as if it's at home minus the home local channels. No big deal as they are wasted band width. Recently I "upgraded" one of the home receivers to DVR plus via online. Had them send the receiver to a california address, not my AZ home address. Still no problem. Installed it a few weeks ago and it all works fine except no local channels.
I filled out the DNS form and waited a few weeks to call in about my request. I got a CSR on the line and she told me that I would have to have a seperate account for the MH to get DNS. What a pain in the A$$ so I didn't persue it. A few weeks later I call in again and ask for my DNS to be turned on. The nice CSR said she would ask someone in the BIG room how that works and would get back to me. 10 minutes later I have all 3 networks in both east and west coast feeds on the same account as the house in AZ. The CSR's are completely clueless about what they can and cannot do. One day you can get what you want, the next you can't. Short story is, you got what you wanted from them. Go with it and enjoy it. When did they promise you DNS?
Old 02-05-2007, 12:03 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Rick is absolutely right about the CSR's. I have been w/DirecTV since they started. Keep calling back.

I might offer another option to DNS. I have local channels. There is an untrue rumor out there that DirecTV doesn't want boxes in motorhomes. However, if you tell them that you are changing locations, they will change the local feeds for you. This is for free and you can do it as much as you like.

For example, I go to Florida every year. First to Orlando, then to Kew West. I just call DTV when I hit Orlando and no problem. I then call again when I hit KW and I get the Miami stations. I call when I get home and I'm back on Buffalo.

Not sure if you travel all the time so this might not be pratical. But, DirecTV doesn't mind if you have an unconnected box in the coach. Online at DirecTV.com, you can actually manage your account and label each room for each box. They have "Motorhome" as an option.

Just as a point of interest: Because I have been w/DirecTV for so long I have an unusual situation in that I have the E&W coast feeds and locals. Essentially I am grandfathered in to the feeds. When I first started I was in rural Michigan and DTV wasn't there yet. As long as I don't discontinue them I can keep them.

I keep the feeds because I'm a huge football fan so I get a few extra college games. Also, I get an occasional black-out work around. Finally, you get the 3 hour delay on any show you might want to watch. (although TiVo is quickly making that a moot point)
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:35 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just got off the phone with Directv. I told them we were traveling in California and gave them the address of the resort we are staying in. She updated my account to the new address and I have local channels. Done! she said I could to this online my self or call it in, no matter. Thanks for the tip.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:35 PM   #10

Appalachian Campers
We have the same situation as Java -
Have had it for 6 years and have traveled all over the country. We keep two boxes in the coach and one in the house. They call them, great room, bedroom and living room, they don't care that two go mobile. Our #2 feed in the coach bedroom does not get used withing 30 day period which causes it to need re-booting. I call their phone # and a computer asks for the code I see on the screen and in less than 30 seconds the signal is there. I have to use the cell phone they have on record for our billing, this verifies the account, via caller ID. Love it. We have east and west which works out fine, if we want to see a local news or weather, we pop up the antenna.

Tow 2001 PT Cruiser
Colette and Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:16 AM   #11

I called again and they told me the same thing, that I can get my locals anywhere in the country. I'm still worried as I will be in the Davis Mountains Daytona weekend and DO NOT want to miss the race.

Installer comes Saturday so we will see what he says.

Old 02-06-2007, 03:04 PM   #12

Remember that most of the local programming from DTV comes from a satellite other than the regular 101 that provides nearly all of their programming. That means that you either need an antenna capable of receiving 2 or more satellites or you need an antenna capable of changing between the different satellites.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 03:27 AM   #13

On the Direct DNS form it states "the system receiver is located in this vehicle....and is not intended for use in a fixed dwelling residence". Since I will be using one of the recivers from the house, will this matter?

Old 02-13-2007, 05:21 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In a word, NO. Directv can't tell where your receivers are anyway. If you log on to your DTV account, you can specify where each of your receivers are. I took the one out of our master bedroom and put it in the RV. We have DNS in the RV and as luck would have it, at home as well, since all of our receivers are mirrored.