Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2020, 07:07 PM   #1

DirecTV to stop SD 1/1/2021

Read over on another forum that a DirecTV user was having problems with his receiver and wanted to switch his receiver to a SD model in his coach and was told by DirecTV technical rep that SD will stop effective 1/1/2021.

So I guess we will wait and see......
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2020, 08:34 AM   #2

Switch now and avoid the rush? We switched to Dish about 6 months ago when DirecTV started the garbage about Distant Network Channels no longer being available. I should have done it 6 YEARS ago. Dish is cheaper, MUCH easier to deal with for installation and service, programming is better and more extensive than DirecTV, and you actually get to talk to someone who speaks English and does more than read you a canned reply off a computer screen. AT&T is only trying to keep DirecTV afloat so they can add it as a selling hook for their cell service.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 08:49 AM   #3

I switched to Dish years ago, (in my sticks and bricks). I now keep getting calls from AT&T Direct TV telling me I qualify for a 50 percent discount on my account. When I finally got through to a live person I told him I don't have Direct TV he hung up before I could ask more questions. They evidently are desperate for business.
Old 12-06-2020, 09:22 AM   #4

mUSt bE spECial

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 70 View Post
I switched to Dish years ago, (in my sticks and bricks). I now keep getting calls from AT&T Direct TV telling me I qualify for a 50 percent discount on my account. When I finally got through to a live person I told him I don't have Direct TV he hung up before I could ask more questions. They evidently are desperate for business.

I have had Direct tv for 6 years. They really do suck and the customer service is second to none failure. The only reason we stay with them is they give us a 40% discount off the bill which makes it cheaper than Dish for the moment.
I complained about a price hike and threatened to cancel service. They also sent us 5 new receivers for the up coming change for free. 3house 2 camper. I loose the picture every time it rains with the dish on the roof of the house, the ones in the camper run of a portable Wingard dish and have never lost picture no matter what the weather.
Both Dish and Direct are a pain to deal with. I hope the satellites Elon Musk is putting in space will change things and cheaper for us.
BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 07:00 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
After being a loyal DirecTV customer for over 20 years, we also switched to Dish about a year ago. We just couldn't deal with AT&T/DirecTV's horrible customer service and product offerings/pricing. There's no doubt DirecTV (AT&T) is not planning to be in the satellite TV business for long. Services like Elon Musk's Starlink satellite internet service (live and in Beta testing now) will certainly erode the traditional dedicated satellite TV service market to the point it won't be sustainable. I've had zero issues with Dish from the time I had it installed in our S&B home and then adding it to our motorhome, including DVR and OTA services.
Old 12-09-2020, 08:42 AM   #6

I agree with you. How about a sale of Directv to Starlink?
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 08:46 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfalch View Post
I agree with you. How about a sale of Directv to Starlink?

Why would Musk want it?
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 11:51 AM   #8

It seems that ATT is dumping Direct TV. Too many customers are going to internet streaming. They have an offer for 15B. They paid 63B for it 5 years ago.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 12:42 PM   #9

Well he seems to have a pile of money and he has ben very involved with satellites. do not think that the FCC would allow Dish because it would limit competition. Sitting here with next to nothing to do. Directv should be sold because it sucks.
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 07:31 PM   #10

Rumor is, when price gets low enough someone will snap it up.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 04:47 AM   #11

Funny, I have had DirecTV for many years after Dish broke the rules and lost their DNS, since then I've been satisfied. I can get HD anywhere in the entire country, lots of Canada, and a couple of times in Alaska. Everyone talks of their horrible customer service, I don't think I've contacted them even one time in the last 5 years??? And they still have DNS.
Bill767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 05:07 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
After being a loyal DirecTV customer for over 20 years, we also switched to Dish about a year ago. We just couldn't deal with AT&T/DirecTV's horrible customer service and product offerings/pricing. There's no doubt DirecTV (AT&T) is not planning to be in the satellite TV business for long. Services like Elon Musk's Starlink satellite internet service (live and in Beta testing now) will certainly erode the traditional dedicated satellite TV service market to the point it won't be sustainable. I've had zero issues with Dish from the time I had it installed in our S&B home and then adding it to our motorhome, including DVR and OTA services.
Wow - this is the story of my life...pretty much exactly (except we have a fifth wheel rather than a motor home). We could not be happier with our first year with Dish. We've had no problem, but when I have had questions I get good, English-speaking folks that have the answers immediately.

Very pleased with Dish.
RJShiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 05:19 AM   #13

I quit Direct TV 5 yrs ago, never looked back.
High price for almost worthless TV
I think we watched 3 channels and paid $125/month with all the fees.
Now, I pay zero. We have a OTA antenna at home with all the free streaming. I don’t need anything else. The wife pays for her Netflix.
I use the OTA in the MH too, you would be amazed what is free OTA.
The only place I had no OTA stations the CG had 100 channel cable.

I have a portable DISH antenna I think it’s the traveler or tailgate. Not sure. Have the Wally hooked up in the RV.
I never used it other than when I installed the Wally and picked up the signal. It’s there if I need it. But I don’t want to pay $50 for 1-2 week trips. Maybe when we retire and go for 2-3 months I’ll turn it on
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 05:39 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Rumor is, when price gets low enough someone will snap it up.
Talk around AT&T from a 25 yr employee is they paid 80B for Direct a little over 2 yrs ago, selling price now is 15B and no sale yet

Tags
directv