Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2021, 11:55 AM   #1

Angry DirecTv won't activate HR24-500 receivers anymore

We've been using an HR24-500 receiver with the Travel'r Sat dish on our motor home for the last few years with virtually no problems - until middle of last month when the HR24 finally died.

I called DirecTV and they shipped me a refurb HR24-500 that I received the end of June. Yesterday I finally had a chance to put the replacement HR24 in the RV and try to activate it.

Guess what? The DirecTv rep said that as of June 30th they "no longer support the HR24-500 and cannot activate it".
No begging or pleading helped. He said he would ship another replacement receiver (won't be a Genie).

So I called the folks at SolidSignal and sure enough they confirmed that DirecTV is not going to activate anymore HR24 receivers and they've been getting tons of calls like mine. They said DirecTv didn't inform them or anybody about the sudden change.

Apparently, the ONLY option now is to go with a non-DVR receiver like the H24 or H22. No HD DVR is going to work now with the Travel'r antenna! We have several shows that we like to record so this is a huge deal for us.

However, if I still want to use the HR24-500 I could pay another $40/mo for a DirecTv commercial account. That would be on top of the $190/mo I'm already paying for my home service.

I guess the days of being able to use one of our home receivers in the RV to watch HD and record onto it's dvr are coming to an end for RVers unless you want to pay out the *ss.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2021, 03:23 PM   #2

I started a new thread on the same subject but I want to ditch Directv for simple programming and because their customer service stinks.

Good luck I hope you find your solution.

Sandi
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 03:30 PM   #3

I'm an ex-DirecTV customer. I'm holding out for Starlink and streaming.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 08:33 PM   #4

What other equipment model numbers do you have on your account?
Is this a separate RV/Travelers Account?

If you have an HS17 Genie Server, they will only activate Genie Clients on your account, not DVRs or Receivers.
Old 07-15-2021, 11:08 AM   #5

I have more info on this now. I spoke to a tech at Winegard and she said that even though the HR-54 and HR-44 (Genie receivers) are not listed as being compatible with the Travel'r, they actually are. But, since Directv will only allow you to have ONE Genie on your account, you would have to remove it from your home and put it in your RV every time you want to use it. However, the newer Genie 2 (HS-17) is NOT compatible and will not work with the Travel'r antenna.

So, your options are:

1: Open a new commercial "RV" account with directv and pay $39.99 plus $15 receiver rental fee every month for the Basic programming package. You can turn off the service up to 6 months a year. Like turn it off in August and September and turn it back on for October. And lo and behold, Directv will magically be able to activate your old HR-24 if you do this.

2: Go with a non-DVR receiver like the H24 or H22. DTV will still activate those.

3: Use your Genie (HR-54 or HR-44) and swap it from your home to your RV.

4: Cancel Directv and convert to DISH.

For some reason DTV doesn't want us to have the DVR functions. ??? Weird.

For me, I'll go with the Genie swap so I still have the DVR, even though I'll have to disconnect it from my living room and install it in the motor home every time I want to use it on the road. I'll save that $55/mo that DTV is trying to finagle out of us by opening a new separate account.

--
Old 07-15-2021, 05:28 PM   #6

What a business model. They have been losing thousands of customers and now they pxxs off even more. I have one hr that is acting up but it is still usable.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 03:14 PM   #7

I just got my HR24-500 activated this morning. My first call I was told NO they won’t activate it. I called back in 15 minutes and spoke with someone elsefor 30 min and it is working. It even did a software update on the receiver mid-day.
LogHomeFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 09:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogHomeFool View Post
I just got my HR24-500 activated this morning. My first call I was told NO they won’t activate it. I called back in 15 minutes and spoke with someone elsefor 30 min and it is working. It even did a software update on the receiver mid-day.
That's good news! Maybe they got so much flack they have relaxed the decision. One question, were you opening a new account when you activated the HR24? That was the only way they told me they would activate it. I had to open a new accouint.
Old 09-03-2021, 07:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phochief View Post
That's good news! Maybe they got so much flack they have relaxed the decision. One question, were you opening a new account when you activated the HR24? That was the only way they told me they would activate it. I had to open a new accouint.

Well - seems it worked for a day. Woke up this morning with an error to refresh that never worked. I called in and they must have caught up to the fact that I had a HR-24 (dvr). They are sending me a non-dvr receiver which I hope is a H25 and not the H25.
Old 09-17-2021, 03:02 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Direct TV receiver and service woes...

System configuration
Nomad 3 LNB, Controller, MotoSat single LNB Dish
DIRECTV H20 receiver, declared obsolete, unsupportable
DirecTV H24, recommended three months ago by DirecTV tech, and sent
○ Attempted install, failed, H24 requires single wire feed, Nomad 3LNB
controller has two coax feeds
○ Also declared obsolete by 17 Sep 2021 tech support call
Sharp TV, Old LCD screen with only RCA input/output and an S
connector
DirecTV H20 receiver will show the satellite dishes, their strengths,
etc.
Will display to custom list of TV channels, but shows the 722 error, and when DirecTV is contacted, the automated system says it has
updated the signal to the receiver, but the TV channels never go live,
even though the correct programming and time are correct.
○resumption… DirecTV won't/not cant/ update and turn on the
channel listing on the so called obsolete receivers..
In other words, by antenna and controller are providing a good
feed, but DirecTV chooses not to support these legacy controller
systems… Could it be a sweetheart relationship with their contract
mobile installation and maintenance partner Winegard?
Roy Retreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:02 PM   #11

I have an HR24 that’s been out of service for 3 months. Fired it up today and it said it needed to be refreshed. Did that online and it was back up and running in a few minutes. Not sure if is the same issue that you are having, but thought I would share.
Old 09-18-2021, 02:17 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Direct TV receiver and service woes...

18 Sep 2021

With help from Direct TV Tech support, was able to get one of the two cables from my MotoSat nomad 3 LNB controller to work with the DTV H24-100 receiver. Also had to go to settings and change the satellite controller functions.
Thanks to those that helped..
Cheers , Richard

This old MotoSat system is on life support, and the industry is headed for internet streaming anyway...
Roy Retreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 02:27 PM   #13

My dealer ordered 2 HR-24's for my new Ikon in mid July. When we got there the end of the month, DTV refused to activate them and had several excuses. I was adding then on to my existing account that already has one HR-24 so I asked why that one was ok if they were not supported any longer...they hung up on me.

Called Winegard and tried to activate through them and same story. DTV refuses to activate any HR series, but will activate H series 24, and 25's. Ordered two from Solid Signal (H-24's) and they activated fine. Rip off is that you have to pay Solid Signal and DTV for the receivers. DTV seems to be going out of their way to piss off customers right and left. Oh, and BTW, they want to keep the H-25's only for commercial customers as the smaller size is appealing for them. I guess they don't care about the residential people any more.
Mark3101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 07:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogHomeFool View Post
Well - seems it worked for a day. Woke up this morning with an error to refresh that never worked. I called in and they must have caught up to the fact that I had a HR-24 (dvr). They are sending me a non-dvr receiver which I hope is a H25 and not the H25.

Well this is interesting, since I have the equipment protection plan with Directv, the receiver I just got was another HR24-500. Same model the support tech told wouldn’t work anymore. My driveway is shaded so I need to take the RV out to a parking lot and activate the receiver and see what happens.

Tags
directv, hr24, receiver, satellite, travelr, winegard