Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2013, 01:33 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Dish 211k Receiver Output Signals

Are both the coxial cable and hdmi outputs live at the same time?
I realize the hdmi will be the only hd connection.
I would like to hook-up a sd tv to the coxial output.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2013, 03:29 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post
Are both the coxial cable and hdmi outputs live at the same time?
I realize the hdmi will be the only hd connection.
I would like to hook-up a sd tv to the coxial output.

Fred
Yes, they were both live when I got my ViP-211k. And I currently have the main TV on HDMI with the switch-box for the other TV's on the coax.

I undertand that if you turn on the receiver with no HDMI connected, it will time-out and shut down feed to that port...requiring a restart to re-activate. But, I am not sure about this.

Best of luck and safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:39 PM   #3

Yes. Both live and both outputting the same channel.

GL Arnold
Old 01-30-2013, 09:33 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:10 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088

Yes, they were both live when I got my ViP-211k. And I currently have the main TV on HDMI with the switch-box for the other TV's on the coax.

I undertand that if you turn on the receiver with no HDMI connected, it will time-out and shut down feed to that port...requiring a restart to re-activate. But, I am not sure about this.

Best of luck and safe travels
Hmmm. I have two 211k boxes. 1 for the bedroom TV and the other for the living room. Does this mean I can coax to the outside TV or am I limited by the MiniMax. I had the satellite installed by dealer at purchase - HDMI lines are at both locations - power in a bedroom cabinet. Need to hook up the boxes and activate. For some reason dealer couldn't our wouldn't figure out how to get satellite pulled to the outside TV.
This was an out of state purchase and they told me to go with 2 211ks so they are the next project.

Any thoughts or suggestions. I would think a switch box and HDMI to outside would work but for whatever reason, they did not set it up that way and my wallet was open.
Thanks much!
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:59 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Hmmm. I have two 211k boxes. 1 for the bedroom TV and the other for the living room. Does this mean I can coax to the outside TV or am I limited by the MiniMax. I had the satellite installed by dealer at purchase - HDMI lines are at both locations - power in a bedroom cabinet. Need to hook up the boxes and activate. For some reason dealer couldn't our wouldn't figure out how to get satellite pulled to the outside TV.
This was an out of state purchase and they told me to go with 2 211ks so they are the next project.

Any thoughts or suggestions. I would think a switch box and HDMI to outside would work but for whatever reason, they did not set it up that way and my wallet was open.
Thanks much!
Flagship Steve,
Sorry - I don't know what a "MiniMax" is...
...But, yes, if one of your receivers can be connected to the outside TV with a coax (use your exisiting switchbox, add a switchbox, or you have a coax to the outside TV that starts near one of your SAT receivers) then you can connect that outside TV into the system with no modification other than the coax connections.

BUT REMEMBER - This coax connection will only carry the SD (standard def) version of what that receiver is viewing and only the same channel selected because ViP-211k's are one channel at a time - or "solo" receivers.

About the dealer...they were selling you two 211k's. So, I bet you would have needed to know that it was possible to make this add'l hook-up to have them do it. I believe dealers don't think about sharing the output of solo receivers. They want to sell you an addition receiver for each TV, and/or will try to talk you into a Hopper or similar multi-output system.

Best Luck and Safe Travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 01-31-2013, 03:27 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Scarab0088 - thanks much. Btw - my bad for leaving out Winegard "MiniMax". And in defense of the dealer - they would not sell me the 211ks at all. They actually said "watch for a sale and pick em up somewhere when ya get home. Here are the connections - switch etc.". So taking them at their word to get two - I did.

A little better armed to take this on today than yesterday! I'm wondering now if it might be an option to use the second box on the outside TV. Just need to chew on your comments and look at the manuals a little closer. Thanks very much.
Steve.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:54 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Scarab0088 - thanks much. Btw - my bad for leaving out Winegard "MiniMax". And in defense of the dealer - they would not sell me the 211ks at all. They actually said "watch for a sale and pick em up somewhere when ya get home. Here are the connections - switch etc.". So taking them at their word to get two - I did.

A little better armed to take this on today than yesterday! I'm wondering now if it might be an option to use the second box on the outside TV. Just need to chew on your comments and look at the manuals a little closer. Thanks very much.
Steve.
Ummm - errrrr, so did the dealer check your dish antenna to be sure the dish will support 2 receivers?
Not all dish antenna's will support 2 receivers (like the Tailgater will not support 2 receivers, but the Anser will).

Best of luck!
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 01-31-2013, 05:37 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088

Ummm - errrrr, so did the dealer check your dish antenna to be sure the dish will support 2 receivers?
Not all dish antenna's will support 2 receivers (like the Tailgater will not support 2 receivers, but the Anser will).

Best of luck!
From the Winegard site - Technical Specifications
Supports 2 receivers (single satellite viewing)

So while it does support 2 - it can only lock on to 1 of I believe 3 satellites. So.... I think that means it may limit the channel selection to same channel on both TVs. So not sure the second will be independent. If not then one may have worked for two TVs. Making the other good for nothing or possibly good for the outside TV. Obviously supporting 2 receivers has some purpose. Just need to figure out what? Worst that could happen is I end up having to sell new in the box 211k or be out 135 smackers. And while I rarely if ever do this - have 2 year GS service contract on em both. It was cheap and I was feeling flush that day.

Thanks again.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:52 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi
I also picked up 2 Dish 211k, I am putting one in living room and one in bedroom. I was thinking when we went to bed at night we would be able to change the channels in the bedroom and not have to get up and go up front to change the channel. I was not thinking of using both TV's at the same time, was I wrong or would this work?
regvett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:04 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:

So.... I think that means it may limit the channel selection to same channel on both TVs. So not sure the second will be independent. If not then one may have worked for two TVs. Making the other good for nothing or possibly good for the outside TV. Obviously supporting 2 receivers has some purpose.

. . .

Thanks again.
You can watch different channels from the same satellite feed. Dishnet has a satellite for their HD another for local TV channels (intended for residential use) and the final satellite for non-HD channels. Providing you are both watching HD TV shows, you will probably be in luck.

I don't know how the voting takes place to decide which satellite is selected. Probably last requested, check with Weingard to see how the selection is done. If one of the TV watchers is a channel changer this could get interesting.
v8dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:26 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by regvett
Hi
I also picked up 2 Dish 211k, I am putting one in living room and one in bedroom. I was thinking when we went to bed at night we would be able to change the channels in the bedroom and not have to get up and go up front to change the channel. I was not thinking of using both TV's at the same time, was I wrong or would this work?
I'm clearly not the expert here but your channel changing will be just as you planned as I'm reading it. But we seem to be honing in on controlling both TVs with there individual remotes and being on separate channels which is where I was hoping to be. And I'm also thinking I'm going to be able to get a line to the outside tv as well. Projects. Can't live without em - can't bury them in the back yard. Well maybe... This one looks like it's going to work out. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:15 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

So while it does support 2 - it can only lock on to 1 of I believe 3 satellites. So....Obviously supporting 2 receivers has some purpose. Just need to figure out what?
Thanks again.
Congrats on the antenna equipment - Yes, Dish uses 3 SATS.

And, to explain the reason to have 2 receivers goes a little like this...There's a MAJOR SPORTS EVENT on the Main TV or the Exterior TV (which is usually connected to the same receiver).
Then, there is a bored spousal unit who is fed-up with sports and wants to watch Hallmark channel (or OWN, Lifetime, Turner Classic Movies, or...you get the point).

Having the second receiver is a blessing in a little black box

Here is another idea to help keep the peace (and makes getting new toys OK)...What if 1 receiver user wants to watch a show on EchoStar129 and that bored Spousal Unit wants to watch a show on 110West?
Answer - GET A TAILGATER portable Antenna and connect it to the receiver needed.
BTW, if you are at a campsite with trees blocking the Southern Sky of your main dish (actually happens all the time) - the Tailgater can be placed where you need and it is SO EASY to use because of the auto-aim function - and it receives all 3 SATS with no re-aiming

I have a rooftop dish and Tailgater too - it is AWESOME!
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 02-01-2013, 04:22 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Congrats on the antenna equipment - Yes, Dish uses 3 SATS.

And, to explain the reason to have 2 receivers goes a little like this...There's a MAJOR SPORTS EVENT on the Main TV or the Exterior TV (which is usually connected to the same receiver).
Then, there is a bored spousal unit who is fed-up with sports and wants to watch Hallmark channel (or OWN, Lifetime, Turner Classic Movies, or...you get the point).

Having the second receiver is a blessing in a little black box

Here is another idea to help keep the peace (and makes getting new toys OK)...What if 1 receiver user wants to watch a show on EchoStar129 and that bored Spousal Unit wants to watch a show on 110West?
Answer - GET A TAILGATER portable Antenna and connect it to the receiver needed.
BTW, if you are at a campsite with trees blocking the Southern Sky of your main dish (actually happens all the time) - the Tailgater can be placed where you need and it is SO EASY to use because of the auto-aim function - and it receives all 3 SATS with no re-aiming

I have a rooftop dish and Tailgater too - it is AWESOME!
Sounds like that will be my next toy a Tailgater.
Now how to sneak that by the wife
regvett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish