Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2019, 04:03 AM   #1

DISH check switch and reception fail

History. I have a 4 year old Winegard Roadtrip stationary and DISH Wally. Previously used the 211 receiver as a second to my home installation. Last year we moved the "fixed site" to our bay property in NW FL and set up in a 5th wheel with fixed antenna. Last spring I moved the Wally receiver to the motorhome for a trip, did the appropriate reconfiguration and check switch and had working reception. We were out west and had some limited issues due to what I think is satellite orientation. The installer aimed at the eastern arc due to tree issues and I think while we were out west, AZ, UT, MT etc. the eastern arc wasn't being received well.

This trip we are in the North Carolina mountains in an open area with full sky view and I can't get the system to complete or change the check switch for reception. Doing the installation attempt I get no switch shown and no reception. I have tried by first turning on the antenna and letting it go through a search then turning on receiver. Turning receiver on first then turning on antenna power, resetting the Wally and nothing. Pushed the reset button on the front, unplugged several times during different attempts. Nothing.

I have also tried a "system test" and it won't proceed past the 33% test stage.

The park we are in has cable but analog and as such about 30% of the picture is cut off of the digital signal. That makes watching a ball game, or any other show for that matter, a problem since I can't tell the score, game stats, etc. Any suggestions???
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2019, 10:58 AM   #2

Is your antenna configured for DISH eastern arc satellites? If not it needs to be if in North Carolina.
Old 09-14-2019, 12:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
Is your antenna configured for DISH eastern arc satellites? If not it needs to be if in North Carolina.
Any suggestion how? Last summer we took a trip to the upper midwest and didn't have to make any changes. But we had in the 211 receiver not the Wally. This spring we went west and had the Wally receiver in use. I looked at the Winegard mission user's manual online and it refers to the dip switches if the eastern arc is needed. I have never needed to rest the dip switches. Unfortunately I'm not an electronics guru.
Old 09-14-2019, 12:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
Not a true statement. See attached for locals on EA and WA in NC.
I used WA and EA in NC.

Make sure you run a check switch with the coax not inserted. It sometimes needs to "clear" the memory of what was there. I needed to do it when switching between the 2 arcs and another antenna.
Then power down the antenna and the Wally. Reconnect everything and power both on at the same time. Obviously make sure you have a clear view for whichever arc you are aiming at.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dish dish-tv-station-markets_9-12-17.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	292.0 KB
ID:	260305  
computerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 02:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
I used WA and EA in NC.

Make sure you run a check switch with the coax not inserted. It sometimes needs to "clear" the memory of what was there. I needed to do it when switching between the 2 arcs and another antenna.
Then power down the antenna and the Wally. Reconnect everything and power both on at the same time. Obviously make sure you have a clear view for whichever arc you are aiming at.
Thanks I didn't try that specific sequence and will in a lull in the game action today.
Old 09-14-2019, 03:51 PM   #6

Well that didn't work either. I get a connection and reception failed at 6 minutes into the "test installation" page. When I unplugged and restarted the Wally, it went right to the installation page with the " Pair remote" at the top left. Can't cycle to the left side or get back to the diagnostics page. Reckon I'm done trying until I get back home and reconnect to the "fixed location".
Old 09-16-2019, 09:57 PM   #7

I'd call Dish Outdoors tech support. Sound like the Wally is hosed IMO. You can try a factory reset on the Wally too. You'll lose all settings but might fix what is wrong.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:24 AM   #8

I have a Wineguard Pathway X2 with a Dish 211K. Has always worked good. ran the coax out the drivers window to the X2. Last two trips it has been acting up. Losing signal. Do a switch check and its back up. Few hours later fails again.

Earlier this summer I installed two diplexer so I could connect the X2 at the cable connection in the back compartment so I didn't have to run the coax out the window. Worked great for first trip. Then I had the issue above I so ran the X2 right to the 211K. Still dropping signal.

I ordered some quad shielded RG6 cable to connect the X2 to the 211K to see if that helps. I searched a bit on this and some suggested the X2 requires between 14-18V to work properly. Some reported there Wallys only putting out 13V. I need to check the 211K output voltage as well.

I do use the eastern ARC in PA.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Your attachment is difficult to read. Use this link.
TechWriter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
Your attachment is difficult to read. Use this link.
Yes, thanks (and credit goes to you for creating it) I tried looking for the site but could not find it but had the doc.
Old 09-24-2019, 06:13 AM   #11

Funny thing happened on

the way to the forum.

We moved from the previous NC location to another one and had planned to call dish rep but I didn't have a good clear SE or SW access so didn't call. Yesterday we moved to E TN, clear sky access and tried again. I did the unplug thing etc. and after powering up it went immediately to the check switch feature and upon completion had the SW64, something I couldn't get with several previous tries. But I had no satellite reception from any birds. Turned off antenna, made a couple menu changes relative to satellite position and transponder and got good reception. Checked my guide and shows and everything working.

Yes I'm baffled but a happier baffled. Only issue is last night I was tired and went to bed early, she stayed up a while watching the OTA TV. This morning the Wally was off, TV off and antenna "searching". Turned Wally back on, changed input to satellite, and the thing is doing a "check switch" again. It finished that and shows came on. I searched menus and settings but can't find the ability to tell the receiver NOT to turn off after X amount of time. I had that setting I could find on a previous 222 and 211.

In a few days we'll be back home and the receiver will go back into it's "fixed" location at the bay in her 5th wheel so hopefully I won't spend days trying to get that setup going. Wish me luck.
Old 09-25-2019, 05:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwwicks View Post
the way to the forum.

We moved from the previous NC location to another one and had planned to call dish rep but I didn't have a good clear SE or SW access so didn't call. Yesterday we moved to E TN, clear sky access and tried again. I did the unplug thing etc. and after powering up it went immediately to the check switch feature and upon completion had the SW64, something I couldn't get with several previous tries. But I had no satellite reception from any birds. Turned off antenna, made a couple menu changes relative to satellite position and transponder and got good reception. Checked my guide and shows and everything working.

Yes I'm baffled but a happier baffled. Only issue is last night I was tired and went to bed early, she stayed up a while watching the OTA TV. This morning the Wally was off, TV off and antenna "searching". Turned Wally back on, changed input to satellite, and the thing is doing a "check switch" again. It finished that and shows came on. I searched menus and settings but can't find the ability to tell the receiver NOT to turn off after X amount of time. I had that setting I could find on a previous 222 and 211.

In a few days we'll be back home and the receiver will go back into it's "fixed" location at the bay in her 5th wheel so hopefully I won't spend days trying to get that setup going. Wish me luck.
Found the option finally and reset it.
Old 09-28-2019, 07:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwwicks View Post
...Only issue is last night I was tired and went to bed early, she stayed up a while watching the OTA TV. This morning the Wally was off, TV off and antenna "searching". Turned Wally back on, changed input to satellite, and the thing is doing a "check switch" again. It finished that and shows came on. ...
What firmware version are you on? That issue where it does a check switch in the morning goes back a ways to beginning of this year I think. It was fixed earlier this year though. Latest firmware I believe is dated 7/31/19
Old 09-30-2019, 04:46 AM   #14

Quote:
What firmware version are you on? That issue where it does a check switch in the morning goes back a ways to beginning of this year I think. It was fixed earlier this year though. Latest firmware I believe is dated 7/31/19

I went out and checked and it had the following versions;

Transceiver, Firm 0012

Firmware, E 011T50 4EW56

Software, U 806 9/24/19. 424am

Before I put the Wally in the motorhome it was doing primary duty in a 5th wheel attached to a fixed antenna and didn't have any issues with check switch or reception. Right now I'm parked under a pole barn with no satellite exposure so can't update anything, but later in the week heading back down to the bay and will take the Wally with me and reinstall in the 5th wheel.

Tags
dish, switch