Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2023, 10:38 PM   #1

DISH connection issues

Okay, let’s see if any of you guys can help me. I have had a Winegard Traveler SK-1000 roof mounted satellite dish connecting to a Dish Hopper 3 via the DPH 42 switch and then to three tvs (one connected to the Hopper, the other two via wireless joeys). The setup has worked well for 4+ years. Recently, and increasingly, the two wireless Joey tvs lose their signal often and I have to reset the Joey. The main tv connected to the hopper doesn’t do this. This is with clear sky, no wind, no obstacles. I hate to just start replacing equipment without knowing more. Have any of you experienced this? Is some of my equipment getting old? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

John
2018 Tiffin Allegro Bus
jdb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2023, 08:31 AM   #2

Check coax connections, verify your satellites
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 08:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb5 View Post
Okay, let’s see if any of you guys can help me. I have had a Winegard Traveler SK-1000 roof mounted satellite dish connecting to a Dish Hopper 3 via the DPH 42 switch and then to three tvs (one connected to the Hopper, the other two via wireless joeys). The setup has worked well for 4+ years. Recently, and increasingly, the two wireless Joey tvs lose their signal often and I have to reset the Joey. The main tv connected to the hopper doesn’t do this. This is with clear sky, no wind, no obstacles. I hate to just start replacing equipment without knowing more. Have any of you experienced this? Is some of my equipment getting old? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

John
2018 Tiffin Allegro Bus
Not the exact same symptoms, but we had issues that were caused by our external hard drive ( DVR ) Spent hours and hours on the phone with Dish to no avail. They sent me a new reciever but that didn't work. Took it to NIRVC, who said the Dome was bad, that also didn't work. Finally called a mobile Dish guy who figured out the DVR was causing the problems. So, it's very easy to unplug it and test without it.
Old 01-27-2023, 09:06 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
If I understand correctly, your main TV and Hopper 3 are working okay it's just the wireless signal to the Joey's you are having issues with? If so, you have a problem with the transmission from the Hopper since it's happening with both Joeys. They may be losing pairing so I would go into the Hopper diagnostic menu and step through setting up the Joeys again. It could also be a hardware problem with the Hopper's WiFi transmitter.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 10:11 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
The wireless Joeys only get signal from the Hopper 3 via a separate box called an Access Point plugged into the ethernet port on the back of your Hopper 3. A 5 GHZ band Wi-Fi signal goes between the access point and the wireless Joeys.

If the TV connected to the Hopper 3 has good picture and the functions of the Hopper 3 are working, then your SK-1000 and DPH switch are working fine and not causing any problems.

Could be interference, or could be signal strength changed. On Joey Wireless Recever Remote Press MENU. Select the SETTINGS tile. Select NETWORK SETUP tile. Select WIRELESS JOEY ACCESS POINT tile. You want GREEN signal strength. If not green then you can try moving around the access point or the Joey to see if in a different position you can get it green.

You can try turning things off that could be causing interference to see if it helps. The Dish manuals say "try moving the Wireless Joey closer to the access point" if this occurs but of course that is not usually an option in the real world.

5 GHZ loses part of its signal every time it passes thru solid material going from one place to another. You can try to position the Joey and Access Point to minimize this.

good luck
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 10:38 AM   #6

Thanks for the feedback, I will try some of the things you mentioned. Much appreciated.

John
jdb5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish