RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2020, 08:03 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Dish Guide

Problem 1.
I have the Tailgater & Wally for a couple years. Most days it does not down load the guild, I have to manually do it when I turn the system on.

Problem 2.
In the past when I turned the system on it went to the last channel I had viewed. Lately it's defaulting to the Hopper channel even when set to last channel in settings.

Ideas?
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2020, 05:57 AM   #2

I have a similar system (except I have a Playmaker dish and I added a hard drive so I can record) - and our guide downloads, but often on the first day of our trip it may be the next day before it downloads. We shut our service in the trailer off when we're not traveling for months at a time - so when we turn it on, it takes about 24 hours for the guide to download.

On the other issue - our Wally always goes back to the same channel where we last watched. I don't know if you got some new update that downloaded or what. We haven't been out in our rig for almost two months.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:40 AM   #3

We use the Winegard Pathway X2 and a 211 Dish receiver and have the same problem. When we move locations, the guide sometimes is out of date for a while and even when we try and force it to update it doesn't. Then all of a sudden maybe hours later it is correct. I suspect Dish only sends the guide update signal once in a while.

Our 211 always comes on showing the last channel watched, so I can offer any comments on that.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 11:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
We use the Winegard Pathway X2 and a 211 Dish receiver and have the same problem. When we move locations, the guide sometimes is out of date for a while and even when we try and force it to update it doesn't. Then all of a sudden maybe hours later it is correct. I suspect Dish only sends the guide update signal once in a while.

Our 211 always comes on showing the last channel watched, so I can offer any comments on that.
This topic has been previously discussed in detail on this Forum...how to update GUIDE while on the road when you want it now.

Particularly for the WALLY.

The most effective way is to do a "Reset to Factory Defaults" in the Diagnostics page (press home three times and go to Tools)

If you have a hard drive, do not reset the hard drive. Go to partial reset.

The process takes about 10-15 minutes

Once complete, the GUIDE is freshly updated.
Old 11-29-2020, 11:33 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
If your unplugging or turning off the power, the Wally will not retain the guide in memory and will do a complete from new startup process . It can take awhile on its own to download the guide. Now if your just turning off the tv and leaving the unit plugged into live power and losing the guide thatís not normal. The Wally is programmed to download updates and guide info in the middle of the night while not in use. With it unplugged from power that doesnít happen. I agree part of startup should be guide download and is most times but Iíve seen it not.
BillJinOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 02:05 PM   #6

So I just turned on dome fish & Wally in my RV since about 6 days ago

The guide immediately showed up when tasked, but it was last weekís guide and was listing the incorrect day & time of the week

Now, I could leave it on & wait until tomorrow for the 2am refresh.

Instead, I did the partial re-set so I can have an updated guide now.

Photo below is what the screen looks like near end of install while downloading all updated software.

It took 16 minutes total

Now I have a current guide that goes out about 8 days
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	666EA0F8-30A6-46A1-9C6B-85F456EA59D7.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	227.8 KB
ID:	309686  
Old 11-30-2020, 04:36 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
This topic has been previously discussed in detail on this Forum...how to update GUIDE while on the road when you want it now.

The most effective way is to do a "Reset to Factory Defaults" in the Diagnostics page (press home three times and go to Tools)

Thanks for that info! I've had the same problem!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:57 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post

I'll try the factory reset about the only thing I have not tried. I do not have to do that to reset the guild. I hit guild try to look ahead and it then says update, yes and couple minutes it's done with the current guild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
If your unplugging or turning off the power, the Wally will not retain the guide in memory and will do a complete from new startup process . It can take awhile on its own to download the guide. Now if your just turning off the tv and leaving the unit plugged into live power and losing the guide thatís not normal. The Wally is programmed to download updates and guide info in the middle of the night while not in use. With it unplugged from power that doesnít happen. I agree part of startup should be guide download and is most times but Iíve seen it not.
The set stays plugged in, receiver & TV go on/off together and I'm in the same location 6 weeks or more. The guild does not auto download and there in is one problem. No idea why its not going to last channel either.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd505 View Post
I'll try the factory reset about the only thing I have not tried. I do not have to do that to reset the guild. I hit guild try to look ahead and it then says update, yes and couple minutes it's done with the current guild.

The set stays plugged in, receiver & TV go on/off together and I'm in the same location 6 weeks or more. The guild does not auto download and there in is one problem. No idea why its not going to last channel either.

One last thing to consider...
- for me, I have had two hard drives (first one died). And each hard drive connected to the Wally has made the start-up perform differently
- currently...if I turn off system and disconnect Wally from power for 2-3 wks, guide completely reloads & updates at start-up. But only shows 2 days of programming
- if I want a 7-8 day guide I then must perform a forced re-set as previously discussed
Or
- I can leave unit on with dome dish pointed to satellites for 24-48hrs and the guide will eventually upload on its own to the longer period. If it doesnít auto re-load, then I must do a forced reset

Bottomline, itís an imperfect system if itís turned on/off regularly with a dome dish & Wally w/hard drive
Old 12-02-2020, 09:13 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
No idea why its not going to last channel either.
Press the Home button twice to go to settings. Scroll down to Power and select that. In the power settings at the top there is an option of what to down on power up. Select "Tune to Last Channel" for it to default to the last channel viewd.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:41 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Press the Home button twice to go to settings. Scroll down to Power and select that. In the power settings at the top there is an option of what to down on power up. Select "Tune to Last Channel" for it to default to the last channel viewd.
Thanks Dan, I had that checked but it had changed to home screen, that issues is fixed.

I still do not get a current guild w/o doing a manual refresh and then it's only 2 days which is OK. I do not have a hard drive attached as I do not record any programs, nothing on I want to watch it's NetFlicks.
Old 12-02-2020, 03:48 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks Dan, I had that checked but it had changed to home screen, that issues is fixed.
That happened when you did the factory reset. Everything went back to factory defaults.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 04:47 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
The hard drive adds a feature I liked more than the recording part .. pause and rewind of a program your watching.
BillJinOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 05:04 PM   #14

Whenever I've had problems with the guide downloading, I change the receiver to channel 101, then try to download the guide again. I've got the X2 and 211Z receiver, and that seems to work. The receiver likes the dish pointed to the satellite the Dish propaganda channel is on.

Tags
dish