RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2020, 10:34 AM   #1

Dish Hopper & the Internet

I recently switched over to Dish from Directv and am well pleased with their service, programming, costs and customer service, but I am having problems getting the Hopper to connect to the internet. We use our Verizon smart phones as an internet access hotspot and are able to use them in many remote and far flung locations from Alaska to the southwest deserts through our laptops or directly through the phones.

Based on info from a Dish Technician, he indicated that smart phones generally will not connect to the Hopper for internet access. His recommendation was to try a MiFi hotspot and keep it almost in contact with the Hopper.

My setup in my home is a Hopper and Joey, and when I travel I move these same boxes to the RV. I want to keep this hardware and I will not switch from Verizon as my internet provider.

Can anyone out there recommend a good way to make this type setup work through the Hopper? Any help would be appreciated
Pigman1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2020, 10:40 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
The easiest way is to set up an in-coach WiFi router, connect that to your phone then connect your Hopper to the router. You can then also connect any other devices to the router instead of directly to the phones. I have used the Ubiquiti Nano router in the past connected to my phone or hot spot and now use a MoFi 4500 that has built in cellular capability.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 10:45 AM   #3

Following,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 11:42 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
I have a WiFi Ranger router in the coach that supports WAN over WiFi, which stays connected to our Hopper and this services the Joey in the bedroom.

Basically what this does is allows you to set up a router in your RV that can take a wifi signal and allow it to be shared through their router to all you devices.

I simply either connect our Verizon phone either wirelessly or weather it with a simple apple lightning cable, which is a little faster and also charges the phone.

Our resident WiFi Ranger ambassador can chime in with more current product recommendations as my system is now a few years old.
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 12:50 PM   #5

OK, now I'm really going to let my ignorance hang out. Do the above explanations mean that the phone is connected to the router wirelessly and then the router is plugged into the port in the back of the Hopper?

Right now we access the internet on our laptops by wirelessly connecting to the phone. DW can access her phone and mine and I can do the same with my phone accessing internet through my phone or hers. If we go to the router setup, do we then have to go through the router instead of direct to the phones? This makes a difference as when we travel to Alaska, only her phone has the ability to work on Canadian systems. (Long sad story, Verizon lied to us) When home or on the road, since we're the only ones using the systems (no kids, friends, etc) we seem to get along fine without a local network. Would this router setup require us to go thru the router for computer internet?
Old 09-06-2020, 01:19 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
OK, now I'm really going to let my ignorance hang out. Do the above explanations mean that the phone is connected to the router wirelessly and then the router is plugged into the port in the back of the Hopper?

Right now we access the internet on our laptops by wirelessly connecting to the phone. DW can access her phone and mine and I can do the same with my phone accessing internet through my phone or hers. If we go to the router setup, do we then have to go through the router instead of direct to the phones? This makes a difference as when we travel to Alaska, only her phone has the ability to work on Canadian systems. (Long sad story, Verizon lied to us) When home or on the road, since we're the only ones using the systems (no kids, friends, etc) we seem to get along fine without a local network. Would this router setup require us to go thru the router for computer internet?
So there are 2 connections we are talking about because you mentioned that the Hopper doesn't like to connect directly to your phones hotspot.

The first connection is between your hopper and a router, I use WiFi Ranger but there are others.

The second connection is between your router and your phone for internet access, the router simply splits it so others (Hopper and the wife, or you when only her's works) on your other devices which can include computers, and other devices that will share the connection.

If the hopper stays connected to the router it will already be connected so you don't have to re-install everytime you will simply connect your phone (internet connection) to the router and then you can use Netflix, LoCast and other options on the Hopper.
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 02:00 PM   #7

OK. Thanks for my education. Looks like my next step is finding a router for a reasonable price that will serve my needs. Obviously, I don't need the top of the line one with all the bells and whistles, just something that will work for the limited activity I'll put it through.

Again, Thanks for all the input. Y'all got me on the right track and a bit smarter, to boot.
Old 09-10-2020, 10:01 PM   #8

router

I use the gl ar 750s (slate) has 2 gigabit lan ports or use as a repeater.

Cheaper models gr ar 150 $26 and 300.
Old 09-11-2020, 08:48 AM   #9

Thank you Gary. That appears to be what I'm looking for. I've got an old Linksys Wireless G router that I've been trying to hook up, but without too much luck with it so far. The use of the GL AR 750 in the tethering mode appears to eliminate all the wireless conflicts I seem to be seeing with the Linksys. I'm just looking for something simple. Definitely no geek here (LOL).
Old 09-11-2020, 09:12 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We use a Aircube AC and Nanostation Loco M2 both from Ubiquiti.

This allows us internet from any wireless access point.
egwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 09:19 PM   #11

I picked up a GL AR 300M on the Internet for $40 and started playing. Took about a half day and I finally got the settings right. As a first effort, I hooked everything up as a wired network, and as I get more experience I'll start to wean some of it over to wireless connections. Of course while I'm learning the ins and outs of setting things up, I also have to learn the ins and outs of using the internet connections with the Hopper. This is my first recorder system so it'll keep me busy for a while.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and recommendations. Folks on these forums rock.

Tags
dish, internet