RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2013, 06:05 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Dish Hopper/Joey system with a Winegard Traveler

I have been toying with going to the Dish Hopper system for the home and was wondering if it would also work with my Dish Wingard Traveler on the MH? I now use the Dish 211K in the house and MH and am happy with it but I've always liked to try the new stuff.

I called Dish RV and they said they don't recommend the Hopper for RV use at "this time." BTW, they said, they will now let you lease as many 211K's from them as you want if your using the Hopper. Big switch from a year ago when they said "no 211'S" when on the Hopper.

Question, will the Hopper work with the Winegard Traveler? Any of you doing it?

Thank's for any input.
Pat
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2013, 08:00 PM   #2

I've had a Hopper with 2 Joeys in my RV for about a year & I'm probably going to upgrade to the Sling Hopper.

There are a couple of people I know on the forums who have Hopper/Joey setups in their RV.

Yes, a Hopper works fine w/Traveler & I also connect it to a portable (1000.4) when trees block the Travler.

Here's my setup: http://rvseniormoments.files.wordpre...08_04_2012.jpg
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:15 AM   #3
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
TechWriter,

Nice diagram.

Thanks.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
I've had a Hopper with 2 Joeys in my RV for about a year & I'm probably going to upgrade to the Sling Hopper.

Yes, a Hopper works fine w/Traveler & I also connect it to a portable (1000.4) when trees block the Travler.

Here's my setup: http://rvseniormoments.files.wordpre...08_04_2012.jpg

TecWriter,
Thank's for the diagram as it answers many questions for me, however, it also raises a few. For my MH this is what I'd like to do. TV in front and one in the bedroom. Carry a spare Dish 1000 in case of trees. Use the Traveler as main dish.

Referring to your diagram;

1. Is the splitter standard equipment supplied by Dish so 3 TV's can be independently controlled? If I were to use only 1 Joey for MH bedroom , typical 2 TV setup I wouldn't need a splitter, right?

2. Can the coax cables #2 & #4 be RG59 and be on different channels.

3. The Solo Node is all new to me. I would be using a spare Dish 1000.2 in case of trees and the Winegard Traveler as primary. Question is; when using the spare 1000 I would only be using one coax cable from the Dish as my input to an A/B Sw then to the Solo Node. Will I still get channels to both front and rear TV's but have to watch the same channel on both if I do this?

4. Does the standard Hopper have a hard drive in it?

5. The only big advantage I see with the Winegard Traveler/Hopper system over my present 211k system is the ability to watch two TV's in HD and control channels separately. Also I can use the standard RG59 cable to the bedroom TV.???

If I understand this correctly it looks like the way to go. Am I missing anything?

Sling Hopper? Do I dare ask?

Excuse the long post,
Pat
FMCA 212171
Old 03-26-2013, 05:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
TecWriter,
Thank's for the diagram as it answers many questions for me, however, it also raises a few. For my MH this is what I'd like to do. TV in front and one in the bedroom. Carry a spare Dish 1000 in case of trees. Use the Traveler as main dish.

Referring to your diagram;

1. Is the splitter standard equipment supplied by Dish so 3 TV's can be independently controlled? If I were to use only 1 Joey for MH bedroom , typical 2 TV setup I wouldn't need a splitter, right?
I'm not sure. But since you'll probably need a DISH installer to put this in your RV -- the installer should know the details.

Quote:
2. Can the coax cables #2 & #4 be RG59 and be on different channels.
The coax that is used to connect the Hopper to the Joeys can be "junk" -- that is, RG59 should work fine. This means that the coax inside your RV should work fine. The only suggestion I have would be to add compression connectors to the ends of all the coax in the RV.

The coax that connects your sat dish to the Hopper must be "gold" -- 3GHz-rated RG6.

When I did my Hopper install, I rewired the entire RV with "golden" RG6 and this was not necessary.

Quote:
3. The Solo Node is all new to me. I would be using a spare Dish 1000.2 in case of trees and the Winegard Traveler as primary. Question is; when using the spare 1000 I would only be using one coax cable from the Dish as my input to an A/B Sw then to the Solo Node. Will I still get channels to both front and rear TV's but have to watch the same channel on both if I do this?
Sorry -- you need to run 2 coax cables to the Hopper from your 1000.2.

Running just 1 cable means the Hopper can use just 2 of its 3 tuners. I'm not sure exactly how this would impact programming.

Quote:
4. Does the standard Hopper have a hard drive in it?
Yes, 1 TB. You can also connect at least another 1TB hard disk and I believe up to 3.

Quote:
5. The only big advantage I see with the Winegard Traveler/Hopper system over my present 211k system is the ability to watch two TV's in HD and control channels separately. Also I can use the standard RG59 cable to the bedroom TV.???
Well, comparing a 211 to a Hopper is like comparing a Ford F150 to a Ferrari. Sure, they'll both get the job done, but . . .

The Hopper is a whole-house (or RV) DVR which means a Joey can access everything recorded on a Hopper. Besides playback, you can also use a Joey to record (and view) programs to the Hopper.

With all of its 3 tuners active, the Hopper will record, if enabled, Prime Time Any Time (PTAT) -- which means ALL CBS, ABC, NBC, and FOX programs will be recorded every day in prime time.

Plus, I have a WiFi "dongle" on my Hopper which connects to the Internet via my RV's WiFi hotspot (a Verizon 4G USB modem). With an Internet connection, you can access DISH Video On Demand programs -- the latest movies. BTW, these movies will download via the DISH sat, not WiFi, so you won't rack up huge wireless bills.

Finally, a "Sling" Hopper (which I think is all that's available now) has the ability to send (or "sling") programming on the Hopper to an iPad or similar WiFi device (e.g., tablet, smartphone). Again, you need a WiFi hotspot in your RV to take advantage of this feature.

Quote:
If I understand this correctly it looks like the way to go. Am I missing anything?
Hopper/Joey system has my vote.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:26 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I've been using the Joey/Hopper with my Trav'ller antenna since last year. I just drag the Joey/Hopper out of the house and away we go. A couple of things to remember - no in motion use (turn the Hopper off when in motion otherwise your hard drive could be toast); plenty of ventilation - in runs hot; Eastern Arc satellites can be a problem as you can only tune 68.5 (mostly due to Dish changes, not the Trav'ller). It works great and I'm watching it as I type this.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:28 AM   #7
Commercial Member

We have a quick list of compatible DISH receivers up on our site.

Winegard DISH Compatibile Receivers for the RV
winegard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:44 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Thank's everyone for the replys and good information as I now have a better understanding of the Hopper system. I'm going to have it installed in the house and will experment with it in the MH. I will keep a 211k just in case.
Pat
FMCA 212171
Old 03-28-2013, 01:16 PM   #9
In the ether...

Just to chime in, I'm taking the hopper out of our bedroom in the house for use in our moho. I'll be using the portable antenna as I've asked around/enlisted the wiring diagram discovering I have only one coax coming from the roof mount on the moho to the TV block. On the portable I have two leads going to a solo node, much like the diagram so I'll get all three tuners (in addition to OTA).

The two leads from the portable HD dish go to the solo node then one lead to the cable TV input in the electric bay. I disconnected the cable TV coax from the switch box, so I should be good to go once I test things in the next month--it's getting warmer here!

I plan on running a second lead from the solo node to a joey for the bedroom TV next year... this year, only terrestrial TV in the bedroom.

Scott

PS I know I'm not using certified RG-6, but hey... it's worth a shot--the first two installers here had the Hoppers/Joey's working on uncertified coax. I replaced it all with certified RG6, just to be on the safe side. I'd love to get a Traveler...

Scott

2003 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Old 08-29-2017, 11:48 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Dish hopper in rv

Old post I know, but relevant to my current desires! I tried to view the diagram of hooking up the hopper but was no longer available. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks Ed
Dockerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 04:14 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have wireless Joey in the Sticks and Bricks. If I we're putting Hopper in the MH I would use wireless Joey there as well methinks. It works quite well.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 11:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockerbee View Post
Old post I know, but relevant to my current desires! I tried to view the diagram of hooking up the hopper but was no longer available. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks Ed
Here's the source.

Tags
dish