Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #1

Dish Hopper - New DVR

Dish's new award winning DVR came out recently and because of that we were ready to make our switch at our home to them. Being that we were putting in a new in-motion satellite in the RV right now, we signed up for Dish there as well. Here was the kicker, the Hopper was able to be used in the RV, so we purchased 2 rather than 1 (leased) and now will have the use of this great device on the road as well as in our home without having to move it back and forth.

If you have not seen this one, check it out, one of the best TV machines to come out in some time and while I was never a huge fan of Dish in the past, this will make the transition a little easier.
TheTourVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
DO you have a link to it?

This I know from having done the test myself in the old days. Dish has way better hardware than Direct. I mean the DISH DVR I had had what is considered by many (myself included) to be the best user interface in the business. Based as it is on the ReplayTV (Which I use now) it had not only dual input capability (Can record 2 shows at once) but dual OUTPUT as well (can play 2 at once)

Then I switched to Direct.. Still had dual input.. But the WORST user interface (Again per many not just me) and could only play one at a time, DESPITE the fact that when I ordered it they assured me that was NOT the case.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:38 PM   #3

If you go to the Dish dot com site, click on technology, it comes right up. Lots of info on this one around the web too. It is being heavily sought after due to a few of the features like "Primetime anytime".
Old 03-16-2012, 01:52 PM   #4

Can you record ota or is it only for dish satellite?
Kunysz513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunysz513 View Post
Can you record ota or is it only for dish satellite?
I believe it is just for Dish Satellite, but that may be incorrect. It does have an OTA input, which would make me think you can still.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:00 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Let me tell you the things I look for.. NOTE that I started using ReplayTV units years ago.

OVER THE AIR: Modern Replays do not record over the air,,, directly, however they CAN control many of the optional digital tv converters such as Zenith, Insigna and DTV-pal, Mine do.
Record From other sources.. RF or A/V it has 2 A/V in's and an RF
Record in one room watch in another. Replay invented this technology. Other companies are just now (last couple of years) Getting the old round tuit.

Download to computer for off-line viewing later: Same as last.

Stream other videos from computer to DVR for viewing on TV.. A few are allowing that, very few.

The one thing that is very hard to find is Internet Video Sharing.. ONE of my sibling Replays can do that. The other one can not.

Of course Remote scheduling of recordings is nice too (Yes it has that) I can log into the web page and schedule a show to record provided it's "Tomorrow" (or past the next scheduled phone-home by the replay)

I can also use the computer as a remote control

Very few have that last feature.

Recordign and playing multiple shows at once.. With the replay that is imited only by the number of recorders you have. Each one records and plays one at a time, however you need not play back on the unit that did the recordign, IN fact if you are hooked to a Cable TV system or Sat TV so you can use the electroninc program guide, You don't even need to touch the remote Replay or it's remote. You can schedule a show to record on a "Networked Replay" from any other replay on the network. (Your LAN).
Old 04-21-2012, 09:31 AM   #7

There is some mis-information here from either Dish or the poster. According to Dish, the Hopper is not available/supported for RVs. I had this conversation with Dish rep yesterday.

Regards,

Van Pennington
Vancy P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancy P View Post
There is some mis-information here from either Dish or the poster. According to Dish, the Hopper is not available/supported for RVs. I had this conversation with Dish rep yesterday.

Regards,

Van Pennington
The problem here is that the reps at Dish (or Direct) do not realize that an RV setup is really no different than a stick house. The antenna may by different and a little too hard to grasp for the majority of the reps, not all, but most!

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTourVan View Post
Here was the kicker, the Hopper was able to be used in the RV, so we purchased 2 rather than 1 (leased) and now will have the use of this great device on the road as well as in our home without having to move it back and forth.
Is the Hopper installed in your RV?
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:42 AM   #10
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
A Satellite receiver from any provider may not be compatible with the antenna being used. I heard from someone yesterday that the KVH inmotion dome will not support the VIP-722, but I have used it on a KingDome. it comes down to the software and being able to provide the correct "check switch" for the DISH receiver. If it does not show the correct check switch it will not receive signals. The dome will not know where to point.

Now, if anyone has the Hopper at home and can plug it into their RV system and get a signal, I'd be very interested in the specifics of the installation.

The Hopper and other receivers will work on portable open faced antennas mounted on a tripod that is the same as that mounted at the stick house.

Just an interested person in the final results.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:47 PM   #11

RV Hopper/Joey Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Now, if anyone has the Hopper at home and can plug it into their RV system and get a signal, I'd be very interested in the specifics of the installation.
The installer just finished installing a Hopper & 2 Joeys in my Class A. It took about 2 1/2 hours.

The Hopper is connected to my rooftop Winegard Travler via an AB switch -- the "B" side of the switch is for a portable dish when I camp under the trees.

First impressions: awesome. I have a DirecTV whole house DVR in my stick house & now the Hopper in my RV so as time goes on I'll be able to do some comparisons, but both Dish's Hopper & DirecTV's whole house DVR have a similar look and feel.

The Hopper's PTAT (Prime Time Any Time) is the show stealer. However, PTAT does NOT work with DNS.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:41 PM   #12
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ah! Interesting, to say the least. I do not have any satellite antenna on the roof. I do have the Winegard Carryout. Hmm! I wonder?
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Ah! Interesting, to say the least. I do not have any satellite antenna on the roof. I do have the Winegard Carryout. Hmm! I wonder?
Winegard Hopper-compatible dishes: Winegard DISH Compatibile Receivers for the RV
Old 07-31-2012, 07:59 AM   #14

Seems like we are making progress here!!!

I may have asked some of this before but things are changing and stuff gets buried . . .

I want to put a Hopper in the RV (parked in my driveway), mount a permanent compatible dish on a post next to the RV (my house has tree issues, hehe) AND put 2 Joeys in the house.

For now, I'd probably be OK with just watching recorded shows on the Hopper for our weekend getaways and wait a while to see what progress is made on compatible, portable dishes (assuming the Hopper can play recorded shows without a dish connected).

Doable??

If yes, do I just order Dish for my house and tell the installer to consider the RV my "living room"?

Tags
dish