Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2010, 09:02 PM   #1

Dish Network available "pay as you go"

I don,t think I've seen this mentioned here before, Dish Network is available on a monthly pay as you go basis. I have only seen this offer available through two vendors, Pace International (www.paceintl.com/mobile/) and Winegard. Both offer the same plan at the same pricing. If your like me and don't use your RV for several months in the winter this is great because when you don't want to use Dish Network for months you just stop the service and then resume again with no charges.
lllkrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2010, 02:39 AM   #2

Why not just add a 2nd receiver to your home satellite service? Only costs 5 or 6 bucks a month. you get a whole year for the price of one month on the road with the on/off plans. You just don't mention that you are in an RV, tell them it is in the Kid's room, or the doggies' room, patio, etc...

that is assuming you have sat service already though which I do.

directv will suspend service also, just call them up, or go online and make the changes you want to your account. I think they call it a vacation plan? can't remember, never used it as my house is full time TV blaring in every room. yeck!
AZgl1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 05:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1500 View Post
Why not just add a 2nd receiver to your home satellite service? Only costs 5 or 6 bucks a month. you get a whole year for the price of one month on the road with the on/off plans.
Exactly. I do the same thing. DirecTV thinks my RV receiver is in a bedroom in the house. Costs an additional $5.00/month to have it. The only downside is that if a DirectTV box isnt plugged in and receiving signal for more than 30 days in a row it automatically de-authorizes itself. However you simply goto your online account (or call them) and in your list of receivers just check the box to re-authorize it and it starts working again just fine.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:00 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
This would be great. They had Dish Now for a while then it disappeared. Something like this really helps those of us with cable at home.
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:15 AM   #5

VIP211 HD receiver

Under the pay-as-you-go plan, your only equipment choice is a VIP211 HD receiver -- no DVR, no 2nd TV option.

Plus, you have to purchase this limited Dish receiver. You don't lease it.

If they offered a VIP722, now you're talking.
TechWriter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:06 AM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
This may be just the plan for me. I got Dishnetwork I usualy get a dish pause when we are out for a couple of months. I already have a extra Dishnetwork receiver and with the dish pause on they will not let me just turn on the one receiver. I have to get it at the house also. I also get a another $5.00 charge for the receiver, because the receiver has no way to dial up and get programming. When I activated the receiver in the RV to total charge was over $70.00 a month.

I just did a Email to Pace to see if I can use the receive I now have and what the charges will be. Thanks for posting this.
Tom
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:44 AM   #7

TechWriter
Please review all the info available, if you need more than one receiver you can add it buy purchasing it and adding it to your account as normal. Also if you want DVR capabilities you can add a USB hard drive and pay the one time reprogram charge. Unlike Dish pause, you pay nothing when you don't want the service for as long as you want and can start and stop as much as you want. It's not for everyone, but gives you a lot of useage options.
lllkrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:58 AM   #8

DiercTV allows you to suspend service if you are just looking at a way to save money over the winter. I used to have DirecTV at home which worked out well. Comcast had such great teaser rates for triple play, I now suspend DirecTV service over the winter.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:48 PM   #9

Dish's monthly service has got me interested as we would only need service for a couple of months in the summer and have Comcast at home. We have a 23 ft Class C so storage is a premium. Has anybody had experience with Wingard's MP-1
Coachmanjay
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:47 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
If you have Dish already and can get broadband internet, you can watch anything and everything on your dish DVR, including live, on your PC, iPad, smartphone etc... Free ($99 for the Sling box). So, just leave the DVR at home and surf your TV http://www.dishnetwork.com/tveverywh.../customer.aspx

Theres also another free sevice comming together that streams shows and channels you already subscribe to kinda like Hulu.. http://beta.dishonline.com/
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:59 AM   #11
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
TechWriter
Please review all the info available, if you need more than one receiver you can add it buy purchasing it and adding it to your account as normal. Also if you want DVR capabilities you can add a USB hard drive and pay the one time reprogram charge. Unlike Dish pause, you pay nothing when you don't want the service for as long as you want and can start and stop as much as you want. It's not for everyone, but gives you a lot of useage options.
This is correct, you can add an external USB hard drive device to the 211k and pay a one time $40 DVR activation fee. This in our opinion is better than purchasing a DVR receiver as you can add a hard drive that is meant for portable use. At this time you can also pay a one time $100 HD setup fee and have no monthly HD payments for the life of the account.

Just another option for you folks. Long term contracts obviously have their pluses as well with free equpiment and discounts, but there are a lot of people who want this type of plan.
winegard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by winegard View Post
This is correct, you can add an external USB hard drive device to the 211k and pay a one time $40 DVR activation fee. This in our opinion is better than purchasing a DVR receiver as you can add a hard drive that is meant for portable use. At this time you can also pay a one time $100 HD setup fee and have no monthly HD payments for the life of the account.

Just another option for you folks. Long term contracts obviously have their pluses as well with free equpiment and discounts, but there are a lot of people who want this type of plan.
True enough, but if I'm going to purchase a Dish receiver I'd like to have more options -- like the ability to hook up another TV. Lots of RVs have multiple TVs.

The VIP622 & 722s have this ability + internal DVR + USB option + an IR remote and a RF remote.

The RF remote doesn't have to be line-of-site to the Dish receiver which makes it an ideal bedroom/outside remote. Try changing channels from the sack with an IR remote.

How about adding one or both of these receivers as options?
TechWriter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:01 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Unfortunately this is a decision made by DISH Network and not by Winegard. I understand the program has limitations but it is also a big step forward as well.
winegard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:18 PM   #14

What does Dish charge for setting up month to month service if you purchase the 211k receiver and what is the montly charge for minimum HD service?
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote