Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2020, 04:40 PM   #1

Dish Network pay-as-you-go plan; fees for equipment I own???

So, we got our Dish pay-as-you-go plan started yesterday. Other than a receiver that doesn't work correctly (they are replacing it overnight), we seem to be doing OK.

Strange billing question, though. Even though I own ALL of the equipment myself (bought it all directly from Dish in July/August), on my summary of charges it shows the $99.99 for the Top 200 package, then it shows a $7 fee for an HD receiver, which shows the serial number. This is MY receiver, one of two that I bought.

I opened up a chat but was not convinced that the person on the other end had a clue whatsoever; when I asked him about it, he had to go check if this was correct and then came back with a really lame explanation saying that it was correct.

Is anyone else on the monthly pay-as-you-go plan and can you verify if you are charged fees for your own equipment?

Thanks for any feedback!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2020, 04:43 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club

Assuming you have 2 receivers.
$99 is service charge for first receiver, $7 service charge is for the extra receiver.

Do your part.....
Spk64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 04:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
Assuming you have 2 receivers.
$99 is service charge for first receiver, $7 service charge is for the extra receiver.
Even though I already own it? That just seems strange to me.

And, thank you for the reply!
Old 09-08-2020, 04:49 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
That is normal for Dish and Directv.
Better than paying $99 twice once for each receiver.

Do your part.....
Old 09-08-2020, 04:56 PM   #5

Quote:
That is normal for Dish and Directv.
Better than paying $99 twice once for each receiver.
That confuses me even more. I paid $99 each for my two receivers, plus $25 each for two wifi connectors; $248 plus the cost of shipping and sales tax.

I know when I owned a S&B house, I was "leasing" the equipment and they got it back when I cancelled my service. I expected a monthly charge there. If I cancel this service, this equipment is mine.

I'm just really baffled by this. I guess I'll try to call tomorrow and pray I get someone who can explain this charge better than the chat guy did.
Old 09-08-2020, 05:00 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club

You do not have unlimited access to multiple receivers for the single $99.99 service charge.
Each additional receiver will cost $7 to receive the same service.

Do your part.....
Old 09-08-2020, 05:04 PM   #7

You are paying the extra $7 for content to be delivered to the receiver you own. You're not paying a rental charge for your receiver. Kind of like when you have to pay a toll to cross a bridge when you already own your car.
Old 09-08-2020, 05:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
That confuses me even more. I paid $99 each for my two receivers, plus $25 each for two wifi connectors; $248 plus the cost of shipping and sales tax.

I know when I owned a S&B house, I was "leasing" the equipment and they got it back when I cancelled my service. I expected a monthly charge there. If I cancel this service, this equipment is mine.

I'm just really baffled by this. I guess I'll try to call tomorrow and pray I get someone who can explain this charge better than the chat guy did.

Here's a thought...pick up the phone and call them.
Dish is one of the few customer services that I get through rather quickly and I'm not talking to "Bob" in New Delhi.
I've never had much luck with these online chat services.
Old 09-08-2020, 05:07 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club

Ea additional receiver beyond the 1st is 7.00 access charge. Or more if it’s- dvr Even if you own it. You can get a “free” tuner but the free tuner has strings ..... like a contract. This is the rule for direct and dish since forever.
Owning it gives you some freedom from the free tuner .
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 05:12 PM   #10

Quote:
You do not have unlimited access to multiple receivers for the single $99.99 service charge.
Each additional receiver will cost $7 to receive the same service.
OK, now THAT makes sense.

What they are saying is it's $99.99 for this package, IF I have one receiver; if I want more receivers, it's an additional $7 per.

I wish their bill would say "Access charge" or something to that effect; saying "Equipment charge" makes it look like I'm paying for their equipment.

Thank you! I appreciate it!!!
Old 09-08-2020, 05:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chindog View Post
You are paying the extra $7 for content to be delivered to the receiver you own. You're not paying a rental charge for your receiver. Kind of like when you have to pay a toll to cross a bridge when you already own your car.
Got it! Thank you!
Old 09-08-2020, 05:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
Ea additional receiver beyond the 1st is 7.00 access charge. Or more if it’s- dvr Even if you own it. You can get a “free” tuner but the free tuner has strings ..... like a contract. This is the rule for direct and dish since forever.
Owning it gives you some freedom from the free tuner .
Got it! Thank you!
Old 09-08-2020, 05:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
Here's a thought...pick up the phone and call them.
Dish is one of the few customer services that I get through rather quickly and I'm not talking to "Bob" in New Delhi.
I've never had much luck with these online chat services.
If I hadn't spent nearly two hours on the phone with them today dealing with THREE different people just for them to admit the receiver I bought from them was defective, I probably would have. I knew that someone (actually, many someones) would have the correct answer much faster than that!
Old 09-12-2020, 10:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
If I hadn't spent nearly two hours on the phone with them today dealing with THREE different people just for them to admit the receiver I bought from them was defective, I probably would have. I knew that someone (actually, many someones) would have the correct answer much faster than that!
I realize that you are a full-timer and new to the DISH system.

In my case, I switched my home/residential to DISH
I pay a small rental fee for my Hopper3 & Joey, and with the the top 200 I pay a 2yr contract special rate of $96/mo total.
Then I recently added my RV Wally for $7 = $103/mo total

I purchased my Wally on Amazon for $49
DISH requires that we own our Wally’s but they rent the Hopper3 & Joey. Not sure why.

There’s been a thread on this a Forum about those who’s 2yr DISH contracts have expired. And like Direct TV or ATT, the price goes way way up if you continue service.
One suggested solution is to threaten to cancel, then cancel if necessary, then wait 60 days and re-purchase at the 2yr contract rate.

It’s a silly game, like dealing with SiriusXM

Tags
dish