Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2015, 03:25 PM   #15

I am full time and may be wrong on this but was told that Dish Pay As You Go is a monthly charge. Once you activate it you pay for a month whether you use in for a weekend a week or a month. You can de-activate it but you won't get any refund for an portion of an unused month. If you have Dish service at home you don't need Pay As You Go since you already have service. You only need a portable sat, and a receiver in the RV. You can take a receiver from home or get an additional receiver for the RV for a $7.00 per month charge added to your home account. You can purchase a 211K or 211Z for $100 or less or ask Dish to loan you one, your choice. There is no need for you to get Pay As You Go unless you don't have service at a home.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2015, 03:30 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
I pay 79.00 a month to have HD and Sports Chanel's. End of foot ball season I stop it! Monthly charge only!
WReeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 06:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
I am full time and may be wrong on this but was told that Dish Pay As You Go is a monthly charge. Once you activate it you pay for a month whether you use in for a weekend a week or a month. You can de-activate it but you won't get any refund for an portion of an unused month. .....
Who ever told you this was mistaken. You can call DISH and "CANCEL" your service and the unused portion of your prepaid month will be held in your account as a credit till the next time you restart your service OR you can request it refunded to your credit card used to pay for the service. I know this is in fact the way it works having done it over two dozen times in the last five years.
Old 10-31-2015, 03:36 AM   #18

That Home doesn't work while RV receivers are on . That is BS dish person fed him.
xxRaniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:41 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxRaniz View Post
That Home doesn't work while RV receivers are on . That is BS dish person fed him.

Not sure who you are answering to or what you are saying.

Please explain.
Us out West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:12 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanned View Post
I'm getting the same set up. What hard drive did you get for dVr off the 211z?
Thank you
Jim.
We also have dish and two receivers Just found out that dish had three satellites but can't find out what channels are on which satellite
Can anyone help
Jim denny
View 16 fl
Joanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:43 PM   #21

We have a portable Pathway X2 which locks on to all 3 birds.

Does not matter to us what channels are on what birds. Pick what channel you want to watch from the Guide and the X2, and Tailgater for that matter, will auto find the channel on whatever bird it resides.

Easy.....
Us out West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 02:45 PM   #22

We've had Dish with a Pathway X1 on the roof since August 2015 and really like the service. The previous post about getting credit for unused portions of the month is correct, and I currently have a credit with Dish (until my next trip when I start it back up). I like the fact I only pay for the time we use the system and we don't have Dish at home.

Dish does charge a $5 "Pause" fee to make the account dormant, you can choose either 3 month or 6 month pause. Not really a problem for us as we are usually on the road at least once every 6 months. I would have liked to know that up front, but it seems their customer service reps are mostly overseas and you get many stories, all different, when you talk with them.
a6carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 06:59 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by a6carlos View Post
Dish does charge a $5 "Pause" fee to make the account dormant, you can choose either 3 month or 6 month pause. Not really a problem for us as we are usually on the road at least once every 6 months.

You can save the "$5 fee for nothing" that DISH charges simply by using the correct verbiage. Never tell DISH you want to stop, pause, or suspend your service. When you contact DISH always tell them you want to CANCEL or DISCONNECT your service. They will offer you all sort of reasons to just suspend the service but be firm and tell them you want to CANCEL. Don't worry your account won't go away you just will not be charged the "$5 for nothing" charge and when you contact them again your account credit will be there just the same as if you had put it on suspend.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:44 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
You can save the "$5 fee for nothing" that DISH charges simply by using the correct verbiage. Never tell DISH you want to stop, pause, or suspend your service. When you contact DISH always tell them you want to CANCEL or DISCONNECT your service. They will offer you all sort of reasons to just suspend the service but be firm and tell them you want to CANCEL. Don't worry your account won't go away you just will not be charged the "$5 for nothing" charge and when you contact them again your account credit will be there just the same as if you had put it on suspend.
Are you saying that if I only use my RV on the weekends say Friday through Sunday that I call on Friday and then cancel on Monday I will only be charged with the use of Dish for 3 days? If I went out an average of two weekends a month then that would be 6 days of use per month so in theory a one month subscription would last me about 5 months???
Old 11-15-2015, 08:39 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbahrns View Post
Are you saying that if I only use my RV on the weekends say Friday through Sunday that I call on Friday and then cancel on Monday I will only be charged with the use of Dish for 3 days? If I went out an average of two weekends a month then that would be 6 days of use per month so in theory a one month subscription would last me about 5 months???

Yes, that is exactly how it would work IF you used the term CANCEL or DISCONNECT to stop your service. NOTE each time you re-start your service you will have to pay what ever is due to bring your account balance up to a full pre-paid month minus your previous credit from the last time you used your service.

WARNING you may encounter a DISH rep that says you cannot do this. They don't understand their own product and how their billing system works. Just hang up and call back again to get a different rep. I had to call 3 times once to get a rep that understood, DISH reps are poorly trained and have a LOT of turnover, just be persistent.
Old 11-15-2015, 12:17 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
Yes, that is exactly how it would work IF you used the term CANCEL or DISCONNECT to stop your service. NOTE each time you re-start your service you will have to pay what ever is due to bring your account balance up to a full pre-paid month minus your previous credit from the last time you used your service.

WARNING you may encounter a DISH rep that says you cannot do this. They don't understand their own product and how their billing system works. Just hang up and call back again to get a different rep. I had to call 3 times once to get a rep that understood, DISH reps are poorly trained and have a LOT of turnover, just be persistent.
Ok. I will try again. The last three times I was told that there is no credit for unused days and they were certainly adamant about it. I did use "cancel" however I didn't use "Disconnect". It seems to me that they should have a standard policy on this and not something attached to certain words that may be interpreted in several ways depending on the Dish employee.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:31 PM   #27

Dish Pay As You Go

Just make sure you have signed up for a RV" Pay As You Go account", not a home or a vacation home account, which you can only pause and be charged $5 a month pause fee. I tell them to cancel my service and to keep the credit in my account. When they ask why I want to cancel I tell them the RV is in storage. I do this 4 or 5 times a year and only pay the days I was connected. The charge runs less than $3 per service day. I change the service address when I want to get different local channels, such Seattle when in the NW or SF, Sacramento, LA when I am in an area that I want local news. I have found I can get local channels up to 200 miles away, so I do not change to service address unless I can not get the locals I want or to change locals
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 01:43 PM   #28

lllkrob and coachmanjay, that is good advice and I will use it during my next call! Thanks.
a6carlos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish