Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2015, 11:07 PM   #1

Dish Network Pay As you Go Question

I talked to Dish Network today and asked some questions regarding their Pay As You Go service. They told me that if I have Dish at my home that I will need to call them to activate my RV receiver when I need it to work. At the same time when I activate my RV receiver that the receives in my home will be deactivated. I am looking at adding a Tailgater antenna and VIP 211z receiver to my account for use in the RV. They said I can have them on the same account, but the home receivers and the RV receiver can not be active at the same time. Anyone know if this is true or was I given bad info? I got the idea to have them all working at the same time I would need separate accounts for home and the RV. I only use my RV for weekend camping trips of 3 to 5 days at a time, so it would be a pain to have to call and activate and deactivate every time.
LDStandlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2015, 11:16 PM   #2

Retired Fire Service RVer's
We have Directv and THEY told me that for about $7 extra a month I can have the SAME Directv in our coach as what we have at home with NO turning off and on.
We will have to buy the receiver but I figure that for $7 a month we will just leave the coach Directv on "forever"....
I hope this helps...maybe not....
Paramedic 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 12:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paramedic 1 View Post
We have Directv and THEY told me that for about $7 extra a month I can have the SAME Directv in our coach as what we have at home with NO turning off and on.
We will have to buy the receiver but I figure that for $7 a month we will just leave the coach Directv on "forever"....
Same with Dish...
rivraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 12:05 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paramedic 1 View Post
Yep, that's what I found out late last week too. Only $6.50 (plus taxes) for each receiver whether you own them or they do. We got two HD receivers when we bought the Magna. Thinking about activating the two from the MH and using them in the stick house to replace two there. That would keep the receiver cost that same. The only downside is that I'd have to upgrade to HD for $10 a month more. We've been watching SD for more than 60 years now so I'm not sure if we need HD!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 01:52 PM   #5

Check this link. DISHForMyRV: DISH Mobile Satellite Systems & Pay As You Go TV for RV, Camping, Tailgating, & the Great OutdoorsDISHForMyRV: DISH Mobile Satellite Systems & Pay As You Go TV for RV, Camping, Tailgating, & the Great Outdoors

Thats a long link.
We added the second receiver this spring and have had no problems, even after sitting unplugged for a couple of weeks. Have not had to call to reactivate either receiver.
indnavyvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 10:37 PM   #6

Thanks to all that replied. I called Dish back today and got a totally different story that all receivers on the account will stay active at the same time. I was hoping that was the case since I hadn't seen anyone else mention deactivating the home receivers when the RV receiver was activated. It would seem if I am paying for three receivers that all three receivers should be working all the time. I guess I will know for sure when I get the tailgater and receiver and activate them. Thanks again!
Old 10-07-2015, 01:04 PM   #7

I can now confirm that all receivers DO remain active when I have the RV receiver activated. I ordered the Winegard Pathway X2 and at the house it works great and was even able to access both east and west arc satellites from San Antonio, Texas. The receivers in my home were not affected when I activated the 3rd receiver on the Pay-as- You-Go plan with Dish.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:14 PM   #8

That's essentially true, however, when you arrive at your campsite and want local channels, you call dish and ask them to change your SERVICE address to your new location. That changes your service address for all receivers on your account. If you have a local channel being recorded at home, your DVR won't be able to find that station and it won't record.

Some of the higher number stations like ESPN and Speed Channel seem to work despite the address change. Not a big inconvenience.

We have two 211z receivers and a hard drive hooked up to one of them to record programs. I call and activate the receivers and change the service address once I arrive in camp. On a recent trip to the North Oregon Coast, I didn't have the change the service address after the initial change in Astoria.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:01 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerracer View Post
That's essentially true, however, when you arrive at your campsite and want local channels, you call dish and ask them to change your SERVICE address to your new location. That changes your service address for all receivers on your account. If you have a local channel being recorded at home, your DVR won't be able to find that station and it won't record.

Some of the higher number stations like ESPN and Speed Channel seem to work despite the address change. Not a big inconvenience.

We have two 211z receivers and a hard drive hooked up to one of them to record programs. I call and activate the receivers and change the service address once I arrive in camp. On a recent trip to the North Oregon Coast, I didn't have the change the service address after the initial change in Astoria.
I'm getting the same set up. What hard drive did you get for dVr off the 211z?
Thank you
Jim.
Joanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 10:49 PM   #10

Jim, I'll get the model number off the drive tomorrow when I'm at the storage lot.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:33 PM   #11

Jim, The drive I use very successfully, is a Western Digital "My Book AV"
Old 10-30-2015, 03:37 AM   #12

pay as you go is not the way to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDStandlee View Post
I talked to Dish Network today and asked some questions regarding their Pay As You Go service. They told me that if I have Dish at my home that I will need to call them to activate my RV receiver when I need it to work. At the same time when I activate my RV receiver that the receives in my home will be deactivated. I am looking at adding a Tailgater antenna and VIP 211z receiver to my account for use in the RV. They said I can have them on the same account, but the home receivers and the RV receiver can not be active at the same time. Anyone know if this is true or was I given bad info? I got the idea to have them all working at the same time I would need separate accounts for home and the RV. I only use my RV for weekend camping trips of 3 to 5 days at a time, so it would be a pain to have to call and activate and deactivate every time.
We have Dish at home and pay $7 a month for our Receiver in the RV. When we go out which is Normally every other weekend we have Dish. Pay as you go is $40 or $50 a month and not a good fit for us because we don't camp for a whole month. Campers we have met didn't know the $7 receiver was an option and paid outrageously high prices
xxRaniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 03:40 AM   #13

That is BS ours is on and activated all the time.
xxRaniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxRaniz View Post
That is BS ours is on and activated all the time.
What is BS?

If you use Pay As You Go you can pause the DISH service with a phone call and avoid the $$$monthly charge.

If you have DISH in your S&B home then the receiver charge is $7 a month.
Us out West is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish