Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2013, 02:02 PM   #1

Dish Network Receiver Won't Lock - SOLUTION.

This post will probably seem arcane to some folks but I am putting it up in hopes that it may save Dish Network subscribers some time if they end up in a situation similar to ours.

We are currently spending a lot of time in our little Navion away from our home. Where we were last posted, it was a fairly long time there so I brought up a satellite dish (a Dish 1000 Turbo HD) and hooked it to a pole in the park we were in. This was necessary as the single LNB Winegard crankup on our rooftop was directly under some huge Mulberry trees obstructing the path to the satellite. The shade was great, but not the TV reception.

Anyway, fast forward a bit. We are now in a new location with no trees to speak of and are close enough to our house that we simply take our MH back home on our days off. Without the trees, it is far more convenient for us to simply use the little satellite dish on our roof. We crank it up when we arrive and hopefully remember to crank it down before we leave!

Well, I ran into a problem when I tried using the little Winegard (RM-4600) in our new spot. I found the satellite (119W) without too much trouble, but once I got a signal, the receiver would not lock.

The symptoms I got were that the little signal bar would jump back and forth between about 72% and 0% and the bar remained constantly red. The screen message kept reading "satellite not locked." No amount of aiming would change this condition.

Solution:

Come to find out, the satellite receiver, a Dish 311, was still thinking it was connected to the larger antenna and was looking for multiple signals coming out of the built-in switch from the old setup.

What I had to do, and will do every time I do this in future, is run the "Check Switch" routine every time I use a different antenna. That routine, when I ran it this time, informed me that no switch was found, which would be correct since the Winegard we own only has one LNB. It asked me if I wanted to "save" the result. I said SAVE, then went back to the aiming routine and got an immediate green bar. This allowed me to sweeten up the aim, lock the dish, and now we have a good signal with program guide downloaded and at least the single-satellite programming available.

SO, if you can't get the signal to lock when switching between different antenna setups, run the "Check Switch" routine within the installation menu. This will force the box to stop looking for multiple satellites and make it focus on the one you are aimed at.

I hope this post may serve to help folks who are using the older tech satellite dishes. Best Regards,
Scott
Mojavian is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2013, 02:26 PM   #2

Hey Scott, you may have answered a question of mine, however, can you get any HD channels using only the single LNB with the crankup?

I have been thinking of going to dish to possibly get HD but couldn't get an answer to my question.
Thanks
Jim
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:21 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeekid View Post
Hey Scott, you may have answered a question of mine, however, can you get any HD channels using only the single LNB with the crankup?

I have been thinking of going to dish to possibly get HD but couldn't get an answer to my question.
Thanks
Jim
Jim, the answer is yes and no. The equipment is all important. In Scott's case, the answer is no. The Dish 311 receiver is SD only. If you had a Vip 211K receiver yes, however the process becomes more complicated with a single LNB. The Vip211K is really designed to work with antennas that view all 3 dish satellites simultaneously. Your location in the SE will work from the single Dish 72 degree satellite which combines three into one. West Coast reception on the 72degree satellite can be iffy due to the low angle in the sky. Portable antennas will give you the most versatility in finding satellites through trees and obsticals. We use a Winegard Carryout when staying just a couple of days in one location. Longer stays justify getting out the Dish 1000 antenna and using the DVR. Lots of options, it's what meets your wants and needs.

Good luck

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:36 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have had very good service using the Dish Tailgater with the Vip211, Yes HD works.
rtrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeekid View Post

Thanks
Jim
If you are using an HD-capable receiver then you can get away with the single LNB RM-4600. The problem is that Dish divides up the HD programming into multiple satellites. Depending upon your location you might be able to get all the HD channels by pointing at 72.7W, but out here they divvy the channels up between multiple sats.It is a pain the the rear having to re-aim a single LNB dish simply because you want to change the channel. If I were going to try to receive HD, I would get another antenna. Kinda sorry I bought the cheapie in the first place. If I had it to do over again I would have gotten an automatic setup that auto-aims so that I do not have to worry about fiddling with it or remembering to stow it before pulling out. Live and learn.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post
Jim, the answer is yes and no. The equipment is all important. In Scott's case, the answer is no. The Dish 311 receiver is SD only. If you had a Vip 211K receiver yes, however the process becomes more complicated with a single LNB. The Vip211K is really designed to work with antennas that view all 3 dish satellites simultaneously. Your location in the SE will work from the single Dish 72 degree satellite which combines three into one. West Coast reception on the 72degree satellite can be iffy due to the low angle in the sky. Portable antennas will give you the most versatility in finding satellites through trees and obsticals. We use a Winegard Carryout when staying just a couple of days in one location. Longer stays justify getting out the Dish 1000 antenna and using the DVR. Lots of options, it's what meets your wants and needs.

Good luck

fred
Great info, Fred!
Old 04-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Love the Carryout and my VIP-722 receiver. Automatically receives 110, 119, and 129, just not simultaneously. Plus the local channels through the batwing and I can record the locals as well as the sat channels.

I drag the VIP-722 out of the house when we go on the road. I have to run the check switch and it will find SW-64. Then when we return home I have to run it again for the stick house antenna.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:53 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I bought the following on sale at CW last weekend, but am concerned about the dish on top of the coach. Its a 2003 coach and I don't know if the LNB is proper to receive HD signals, but that doesn't matter I guess anyway, because the flat screen Sony the PO installed is only a 720 anyway.

DISH Solo ViP211k HD Satellite Receiver - Pace International RC-211K - Receivers - Camping World

I will be able to hook this up to my existing Winegard dish (2003) and use it though, right?
Old 05-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
I bought the following on sale at CW last weekend, but am concerned about the dish on top of the coach. Its a 2003 coach and I don't know if the LNB is proper to receive HD signals, but that doesn't matter I guess anyway, because the flat screen Sony the PO installed is only a 720 anyway.

DISH Solo ViP211k HD Satellite Receiver - Pace International RC-211K - Receivers - Camping World

I will be able to hook this up to my existing Winegard dish (2003) and use it though, right?
You don't mention specifically what model Winegard you have, but if it is like mine, then you should be able to point it at the satellite parked over 72 and get everything without having to move the dish to hop between channels. If you are out west then you might want to upgrade your antenna to either a multi-lnb model or one of those nifty little carry-out models perhaps. Personally, I am going to be on watch for one of those automatic antenna jobs to replace the thing on my roof. Aiming it is a pain in the rear.

Tags
dish, single lnb, winegard rm-4600, won't lock