Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2013, 07:53 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Dish Network Spot Beams

I have heard that there is a city on the west coast that does not Spot Beam locals and you can get them anywhere. I think there is one on the east coast also. Does anyone know the zip code for those places?? I call Dish Network when we arrive and they always get me the locals within an hour or so but when traveling it would be nice to just have networks without the hassle for just one night....

Dave
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2013, 08:08 AM   #2

Carolina Campers
Do you have a digital antenna on the roof? I usually just raise it and scan for stations. I am amazed that I usually pick up 20 to 30 stations, with locals, for free...
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:51 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, I have the Winegard Travler 1000 on my MH and I have the Over The Air Dongle on my Hopper. Some areas we have been in only had SD on the air with no HD available.

Dave
Old 11-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhinds View Post
I have heard that there is a city on the west coast that does not Spot Beam locals and you can get them anywhere. I think there is one on the east coast also. Does anyone know the zip code for those places?? I call Dish Network when we arrive and they always get me the locals within an hour or so but when traveling it would be nice to just have networks without the hassle for just one night....

Dave
See this thread for info... http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/direc...rms-53394.html. DNS is a paid access feature, so it will cost you extra. Also, you must fill out the DNS paperwork. If I recall correctly, the broadcasts from either the east or west coast can be off timewise due to being in different time zones, unless you actually are in the same time zone.

Also, without the DNS service... if you give Dish the zip code for either of those places and you are NOT there...you won't get those locals either since you won't physically be in the "spot beam" location.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:25 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

Dave
I have not heard about any "locals" being transmitted that were not supposed to be spot beamed.

Like SarahW said, this might be a confusion with Distant Network Service (DNS) that is currently only being sold to Dish subscribers by a third party company named All American Direct: My Distant Networks | Home
This is a separate pay service and only in SD. The stations are from San Francisco and New York. Denver used to be one of the offerings too.

Now, about the spot beam thing...I typically call/chat with Dish customer service and ask for the "locals" just like the OP. But one time after a long haul all the way to Montana from SoCal - upon arrival, the Fox station from San Diego was still coming in.

I don't really understand how a SAT floating 22,300 miles above the earth can "spot beam" these channels, but they do and sometimes it doesn't work

Best Luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:49 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Los angles on the west coast. NYC/Alantic City on the east.

HOWEVER.. That may not help you.. At one time it was true that if your home address was LA, you were good to go, but they may have "Fixed" that.

Sorry, can't help beyond that. But take a look at channel numbers in the 800 range as I recall (Without looking) if you see your stations repeated there and can get 'em. You are good for sure.. If not.. Well, I wish you luck, please report what you find.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:12 PM   #7

Quote:

Dave

all zip codes in new york city and a great many in new jersey will give you the new york locals in standard def off the 119 sat anywhere in the US . there are no HD networks that are not spot beamed. on the west coast its the LA nets that are " conus "
stevesxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:39 PM   #8

Quote:
I call Dish Network when we arrive and they always get me the locals within an hour or so but when traveling it would be nice to just have networks without the hassle for just one night....
As others have already explained, you're talking about DNS (Distant Network Service) which allows you to always have either or both coast networks provided you can access Western Arc sat 119.

I signed up for both coasts for $14.99/month, but dropped the service because sometimes I need to use the Eastern Arc sats and because DISH DNS is in SD, not HD.

To me, all this this makes calling DISH to get the HD locals where I'm camped much less of a hassle.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish