RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2020, 11:50 AM   #1

Dish on the road questions

I would like some input from RVers on Dish satellite Tv when on the road
Roving Itali is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2020, 02:19 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We have a dish tailgater and a Wally receiver. It cost ten dollars more a month when we use it and weíre happy with the service. But we have dish at home. Itís more if you donít. We use it as a portable because in some situations weíve had to move the dish a ways away from where we were parked. Just got back to Oregon from a trip to Mt. Rushmore and the Grand Tetons, all it took was a phone call to get the local channels for the area we were in. Set up takes about a 1/2 hour, but I just get it started then go about the rest of our camp set up then come back to it. The Wally receiver lacks some of the features of our home unit like stop, fast forward and reverse or dvr. But you can buy a hard drive from dish and download from your dvr and plug it into the Wally for playback. Hope thatís good info for you.
pdxgwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 03:00 PM   #3

We have the Dish Outdoors plan.

Have a Wally, DVR drive, and carryout dome.

With the Outdoors plan you don't need to call, you use the phone app to change locals, if you pay for local service.

The DVR allows recording only one channel but dives you pause, rewind and fast foward after a pause. With the Over The Air tuner, you can record on one and watch on another.

I pay $97 a month for 2 wallys and local channel's, along with a bunch of extra channels.

I set up a 3 LNB dish at home and that unlocks the two tuners in the Wally. I can watch one channel and record a second one.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 04:58 PM   #4

Was a long time DISH customer at my brick & mortar home. To have it available on my RV for a few $'s a month was a no brainer.

I used an In-Motion dome antenna. For the most part I was very pleased as long as I had an unobstructed view of the southern sky & the weather did not get too bad. Seems like if the RV was in storage for more than a few weeks, I would have to contact DISH to wake it up & then everything would be fine. Getting locals was not a difficult process.
Going full time in the RV, I decided to try other methods. Still have the equipment & may consider DISH in the future if my new system does not work out.
lemodrop9344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 05:53 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
We re-activate out subscription for pay-as-you go whenever we take long trips. The Dish app makes it easy to get local channels too which we like.

We have a Wally and Playmaker portable dome. On our previous RV we had a Winegard traveler but since we always watch the same shows together the dome works OK and we don't have to worry about trees as much now.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:16 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Haven't had satellite based TV for years. If you invest in an automatic satellite dish, its OK. But there are some down sides. As already mentioned you have to have a clear view of the southern sky. This means if you have a roof mounted satellite dish there are many places you won't get signal. If you have a portable like the tailgater, it won't work while in motion. Maybe not important to you. Automatic dishes have gotten cheap enough, I'm not sure anyone still has or uses the old manual style dishes. Those were the worst.

We sold our MH years ago and we bought a TT 3 years ago. We haven't seen the need for it in the trailer. Between campground TV and streaming services we have plenty to watch. I'll consider YouTube TV for access to all the cable and local TV stations when we get to a point where we can take longer trips. Unlimited mobile Internet access has gotten cheap enough to be a viable alternative with a lot less hassle in my opinion.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:22 PM   #7

I take my home receiver when we travel and just use it with the tailgater. There is no additional charges but we dont get the local channels where ever we are. That's OK with us.
sanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 03:39 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have DISH at home, and added a Wally and a Tailgater for the RV. It has worked well for us. The Tailgater is mounted on the roof, unless we park under trees - then I put it on a tripod. Be aware that you can get scheduled PPV programming via satellite, but all the on demand programming is over the internet - so no broadband, no streaming!

The only other thing I don't like is that unless you keep the Wally powered up in transit (genset or inverter) and you happen to camp in an area with no satellite coverage, you cannot access the recordings on your DVR, and your OTA interface won't work.

We also haven't tried to access the satellites from Canada. Our last trip to Banff, we were able to get DirectTV HD without difficulty, but DISH has no provisions for coverage in Canada - unknown if we can "spoof" it by selecting settings for the nearest US state.
Blandry29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 03:51 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
We use a vip211 receiver that stays in the trailer and is added to our dish acct for 7 bucks a month, use it with a Wingard carry out auto dish that is portable, just sit it out on a milk crate and good to go. Usually have to call dish and get a reset when we first go to use it and change the locals to where we are as well but no big deal.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blandry29 View Post
We have DISH at home, and added a Wally and a Tailgater for the RV. It has worked well for us. The Tailgater is mounted on the roof, unless we park under trees - then I put it on a tripod. Be aware that you can get scheduled PPV programming via satellite, but all the on demand programming is over the internet - so no broadband, no streaming!

The only other thing I don't like is that unless you keep the Wally powered up in transit (genset or inverter) and you happen to camp in an area with no satellite coverage, you cannot access the recordings on your DVR, and your OTA interface won't work.

We also haven't tried to access the satellites from Canada. Our last trip to Banff, we were able to get DirectTV HD without difficulty, but DISH has no provisions for coverage in Canada - unknown if we can "spoof" it by selecting settings for the nearest US state.
North of the border I was able to pickup Dish by selecting the state just South of us.
sanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:54 PM   #11

We have Dish at home so adding it to the rv was inexpensive. We have the Winegard Trav'ler antenna and use (2) VIP 211 receivers. If we leave the rv parked for a month or so we have to log into dish to reinitialize. The service works just like it does at home anywhere in the lower 48.
bhammond1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 04:21 PM   #12

Since we are FT, we don't have the option of piggybacking onto our home account. We pay $107 per month for two Wally service with the Dish 200 Plus plan.

One thing we found out the hard way is, with RV dishes (at least, the domed kind), you cannot watch two different channels at the same time IF they are on different satellites. Since Dish spreads their channels over three satellites, the chances are quite good that you will run into this situation frequently.

For me, it was a relatively cheap solution. I purchased a 2nd dish and mounted it to the roof, two feet behind the first. Now, each Wally has its own dish and both of us can watch whatever we want, whenever we want.

Good luck to you!
Old 10-02-2020, 07:16 PM   #13

We have the winegard traveler on the roof love it. But for those few sites we've satyed at that it had trouble finding the birds because of trees, we have a winegard carryout G2 portable. We take our Dish reciever 722K from S&B and it works both TV's in the coach.
mlh2013 is offline   Reply With Quote