Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2020, 10:12 AM   #85

Options

I had Dish since 1997 and their prices have almost doubled in the last 10 years. I'm going to go with "Orby TV". The minus for them is they don't carry sports, which is also the plus for them because Sports is the big driver to the higher prices. This isn't a problem for me since Dish and my local sports network are feuding and haven't been on for over a year, yet they didn't lower my price. https://orbytv.com/
Billr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2020, 12:47 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
Wow. I have a contract with Dish and is up for renewal. My current plan is 120 channel one and is $55/month.
Renewal?

It is going to almost $90 and even excludes ABC at this time.
Crazy.

I've been putting off "cutting the cord" with TV and go streaming and finally now is the time.

DISH is out of touch with reality in these difficult times and is losing this long time customer!

Sayonara DISH!! There are much cheaper alternatives. Ciao!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGoose View Post
Call to cancel and see what they offer then. Sounds like the SirrusXM dance I have to do once a year.
About 8 months ago I ran into the same thing. Over the course of two years channels would drop off, especially worthwhile ones and if they were replaced it was some crap or another shopping channel ( I think I counted 8 ). I called and said I wouldn't renew at those prices with the channel line up and they didn't care, they wouldn't budge. So I got Fios internet for the house and used my phone to stream. Then Verizon decided to throttle my unlimited data one day. I was able to find an AT&T unlimited plan at $34/ mo. I got an LTE modem and a refurb'd WIFI router to connect. Only one location in six I wasn't able to connect but then nothing or nobody could at that place. Soon I'll be cutting Fios loose and use the AT&T plan exclusively.
Wicked Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 06:05 AM   #87

For those who clearly did not read the thread and are suggesting to cancel or negotiate.

I DID.

I cancelled last week and my last day is this coming Friday.

BYE Dish Network.
Old 08-15-2020, 08:05 AM   #88

Not to defend them but I think satellite tv is on a death spiral. I don't believe it's because they are greedy but rather they have ever increasing costs and a lot of infrastructure to support (satellites, receiving equipment, etc) that the streamers don't have. The times are changing and that business model is not going to survive at least not on the same scale they've been operating. As the market shrinks the cost per customer will go up as they're fixed expenses will have to be adsorbed. I think the market will exist as there are still places where quality high speed internet is not available. Yes it's becoming more expensive but in many places it's the only option. In my travels over the past 24 days there have only been 2 days where I had cell service or wifi adequate to stream. Satellite internet may change that but for now streaming is not a viable option in many places.
Old 08-15-2020, 09:01 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by PbdBlue View Post
Not to defend them but I think satellite tv is on a death spiral. I don't believe it's because they are greedy but rather they have ever increasing costs and a lot of infrastructure to support (satellites, receiving equipment, etc) that the streamers don't have. The times are changing and that business model is not going to survive at least not on the same scale they've been operating. As the market shrinks the cost per customer will go up as they're fixed expenses will have to be adsorbed. I think the market will exist as there are still places where quality high speed internet is not available. Yes it's becoming more expensive but in many places it's the only option. In my travels over the past 24 days there have only been 2 days where I had cell service or wifi adequate to stream. Satellite internet may change that but for now streaming is not a viable option in many places.
That's a CONSIDERABLY different experience than I have streaming. With the 4 plans I have, in the past threes YEARS full time on the road all over the US I have had only 2 places I could NOT stream (I do watch a lot of youtube so I know if I can or cannot stream).
It probably matter when you stream. You need to modify your behaviors sometimes to be successful. 8-10 PM is not a good time to try and stream wherever you are most of the time IMO.
Old 08-15-2020, 09:19 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
That's a CONSIDERABLY different experience than I have streaming. With the 4 plans I have, in the past threes YEARS full time on the road all over the US I have had only 2 places I could NOT stream (I do watch a lot of youtube so I know if I can or cannot stream).
It probably matter when you stream. You need to modify your behaviors sometimes to be successful. 8-10 PM is not a good time to try and stream wherever you are most of the time IMO.
My issues have more to due with locations than high traffic. Zero to 1 bar cell typical. In these areas I doubt even a booster would have enough gain to be usable. Just a matter of where you travel. Contrary to perception the world is not completely covered in cell service.
Old 08-15-2020, 12:29 PM   #91

The reason they do that is because They Can ! Jerks
BOSTONBERNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 03:20 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by PbdBlue View Post
Well ... I hope it never completely dies out!

In our stick house, we lose our cable Internet during (the more and more frequent) power grid outages and NEVER connect to the Internet through our phones when at home because of slow speeds and data limits.

That leaves our good old never-fail DISH satellite service for entertainment and news during power grid outages (we have generator backup for the stick house).

Our cable company sure needs to implement full battery/generator backup for their system so they cn stay up during power grid outages!!
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:09 AM   #93

Dish

Well congrats on "cutting the cable" so to speak. Now instead of watching others doing fun and exciting things you can actually go do them yourself!

RV safe
Scooter
Scooter363y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 08:46 AM   #94

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dish

Cancel and have DW sign up as new customer. 2 years she cancel you sign back up. Works for us on several services with intro prices.
skyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 11:51 AM   #95

DTV no longer has the option of distant networks (ABC,CBS, etc.). Dish does not have them either. Just FYI!
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 12:00 PM   #96

I have DNS on Directv. When it was taken away last year it was painful to get it back, but I do have it.
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 06:23 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyexplorer View Post
Cancel and have DW sign up as new customer. 2 years she cancel you sign back up. Works for us on several services with intro prices.
I am single.
Old 08-16-2020, 06:24 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommar View Post
DTV no longer has the option of distant networks (ABC,CBS, etc.). Dish does not have them either. Just FYI!
Not important to me

Tags
dish

« Remotes | RVWhisper »