Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2021, 10:37 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Dish price increases!

We changed from Direct TV to Dish two years ago this month. Our monthly cost was $115 for the two-year contract. This month I got a notice from them that our bill would be $155 per month!

Yesterday I called and told them I wanted to cancel our service. When asked why, I replied that we were old retired folks on a fixed income and couldn't afford any more than what we had been paying.

Long story short, they reduced the bill to $117 for the next two years!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2021, 11:00 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
> they reduced the bill ...

Chances are in order to get that, you agreed to another 2 year contract with $ 240 early termination fee. That is Dish's standard operating procedure when people coming off their 2 year contracts call and say they will cancel unless they get a better deal, anyway.
powercat_ras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 11:06 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post

Chances are in order to get that, you agreed to another 2 year contract with $ 240 early termination fee. That is Dish's standard operating procedure when people coming off their 2 year contracts call and say they will cancel unless they get a better deal, anyway.
I'm sure you're right, but we are very happy with Dish and have no plans to change as long as we can keep the bill under control!
Old 09-19-2021, 11:34 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Sounds like what I go through every year with SirusXM... Threaten to cancel and get the price reduced by half. Good for you for calling.
Old 09-19-2021, 11:37 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We go through this every two years with Dish. Called customer retention. But we have to sign up for two more years.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 11:39 AM   #6

Joe, I sure hope that $117/mo includes both service at home and in your motor home. I switched from satellite 3 years ago to streaming. I have Google's You Tube TV which is live TV with about 90 channels for about $75/mo. I use that at home and on the RV.

At home I have comcast that we use for internet access. On the road I have the AT&T car connect plan that includes unlimited internet for $23/mo. I have Netflix and Amazon Prime as additional entertainment that you can only get if you stream.

I think streaming is the future and allows for many more choices. There is free streaming content as well if you get a Roku stick and probably on a Fire Stick as well.

Internet access will soon become available everywhere and that at some point will probably spell the end of all satellite TV service.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 12:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post

not unique to Dish. Comcast does the same thing as did AT&T when they had their subscription service.
Old 09-19-2021, 12:18 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I went through the same thing with my trash pickup. Wast Management.. It would go from like 220 a year to over 300. Call and they would drop it to around 220. Every year in early December same thing.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 12:49 PM   #9

I am paying $107.64 a month for basic Dish service with one DVR, another in the house and one in the RV for a total of three boxes, no contract. I think it is a rip when you consider we have two cell phones with unlimited data for $70 a month. The phones are in our hands and used all day long. The dish is used an hour or two a night. It doesn't equate except we like going off grid. The dish always works unless we park under a tree.
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 01:32 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
We changed from Direct TV to Dish two years ago this month. Our monthly cost was $115 for the two-year contract. This month I got a notice from them that our bill would be $155 per month!

Yesterday I called and told them I wanted to cancel our service. When asked why, I replied that we were old retired folks on a fixed income and couldn't afford any more than what we had been paying.

Long story short, they reduced the bill to $117 for the next two years!

Joe,
You may already have this, but you can get a discount for AutoPay. Also if you are a veteran, you can get some free channels and a free movie each month.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 08:27 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
Joe,
You may already have this, but you can get a discount for AutoPay. Also if you are a veteran, you can get some free channels and a free movie each month.
I am set up on auto-pay. I didn't know about the veteran benefits. I'll check that out! Thanks!
Old 09-20-2021, 08:28 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Joe, I sure hope that $117/mo includes both service at home and in your motor home. I switched from satellite 3 years ago to streaming. I have Google's You Tube TV which is live TV with about 90 channels for about $75/mo. I use that at home and on the RV.

At home I have comcast that we use for internet access. On the road I have the AT&T car connect plan that includes unlimited internet for $23/mo. I have Netflix and Amazon Prime as additional entertainment that you can only get if you stream.

I think streaming is the future and allows for many more choices. There is free streaming content as well if you get a Roku stick and probably on a Fire Stick as well.

Internet access will soon become available everywhere and that at some point will probably spell the end of all satellite TV service.
Yup, we have the Hopper 3 in the house and a Wally in the MH!
Old 09-20-2021, 08:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
Sounds like what I go through every year with SirusXM... Threaten to cancel and get the price reduced by half. Good for you for calling.
Same here, every time it renews they increase the price massively, and I have to call up and go immediately to customer retention and threaten to cancel. I keep telling them they need to just offer a decent price and stop making people go through this annoying dance every year. In fact I need to call again in a couple weeks, and I may just cancel and forget about it. I have it in my truck and motorhome, and I may cancel the motorhome and just stream from my phone when I have cell service. The only problem is, several places I like to go to have little or no cell service.

And yes, I do the same with DirecTV. I have a pretty basic plan, with no HBO or Showtime, but I always threaten to cancel to bring them down. Seriously, it's like trying to bargain with a blanket merchant in Tijuana. Not a professional business model at all.
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 08:43 AM   #14

Dish Network and Sirius XM...both are as irritating as the other. Customer satisfaction and service are NOT in their radar. Painful to deal with both.
psmiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish