Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2013, 08:20 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
Have you actually used it at 200 feet? I was thinking of getting a longer cable "just in case" but wondered if the 50 foot that comes with the Tailgater is the limit.
Good question. Anyone tried to use the unit at more than 50ft?
VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2013, 10:25 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by VestaDave View Post
Good question. Anyone tried to use the unit at more than 50ft?
Yes...but not 200'.

I started with a 75' that came with the Tailgater...thought that was the typical wire in the box.

But, I needed to clear trees while visiting in Texas and bought a 150' coax (just the cheap one - maybe RG-59 vs. 60) from Wal*Mart and it worked great...until one of those Texas thunderstorms. First, I lost some HD channels then almost every channel dropped. Knowing from others that storms can impact reception, I just watched a recorded show from the external hard drive.

After about 45 minutes the rain slowed. So, worried about flooding I went out to check the Tailgater. It was wet, but just a quick wipedown and it was back to work.

I blame the signal drop on the storm, but part of it could have been the long coax too...I am not sure.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:51 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Location: Summer- Lake Diefenbaker, SK; winter- Westbay Marine Village, Victoria, BC
I have two VuCubes;

1- A model 3000 In Motion version on our boat. It's been working fine for about 8 years. It finds the satellites automatically and if we're on a bow anchor and weather cocking into the wind, it keeps the signal very, very well.

2- A model 2000 Automatic version on our motor home. I bought it two years ago and it also works fine.

Neither will hold a signal too long if it rains hard, light drizzles are usually OK. All the other rigs in our Good Sam chapter have the dish on a stand setup and some of them spend hours getting their tv's to work. I'm usually going in under two minutes.

Both are HD capable.
jim.smithjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:26 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
Yes, I am not out that much in the coach, maybe over a whole year maybe 40 days total. It just doesn't warrant that kind of expense.

But I don't like being somewhere and not able to get up, feed the pups, fix my coffee, and have the news on tv. They all go hand in hand.

So, I'll get it fixed eventually, just not going to spend money on it or buy an outside one, unless forced into it.

I need someone that knows how to install the little ends on the coax. Two of the three in the cabinet above the driver's chair were torn off. The third one, I believed and still do, is the actual cable to the dish, but will find out for sure in time.
Utube video "" With the proper tools it is quite easy, without_ it's a pain in the bxxt.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDALLSAILS View Post
We purchased a tail gator 2 yrs ago. Yes, you can plug it into the electrical cable port. 1st do not mount it on your MH Ladder. We did and unit failed, it isn't meant to be mounted that way. They sell brackets for that mount but they claim it is ONLY for viewing while stationary. We had the same choice and opted for the Tail Gator because of price. It is easy to set up. point the handle towards due NORTH (in the south anyways). I have 3 different places to plug it into. the cable port in elect bay. a cable connection off the old roof mounted dish and another one direct into cable box out the front door. I carry a 25, 50 ft cable. I do use a bike cable to lock it so it won't disappear front sticky fingers. when traveling it is kind of a pain in the butt calling Dish to resend signal to your new address. Be sure to tell them you are in a RV. if you have problems call Dish, get tech support and ask specifically for a RV tech support. (usually means you'll get some one from India instead of So America.)
Signal is usually pretty good. Understand you are seeking a signal with an 10 inch dish. so nothing can interfere with line of sight. I've bbe told the best system is the one that mounts on your roof with a 12-14 inch dish that is automatic (without a dome) but cost waS JUST TO HIGH. $1298 FOR UNIT AND ANOTHER COUPLE UNDRED TO MOUNT. Dish tail gator was a bargain..... safe Travels..ed
South not north
Old 08-03-2013, 07:41 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteinberg48 View Post
South not north
Point the handle generally to the North...but it doesn't have to be perfect.

See:

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #49

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well folks, I FINALLY figured out what was wrong with the coach satellite (Winegard Manual Crank up Single LNB) signal.

Bought the stuff to fix the other two coax connectors and under the light, looked closely at the satellite coax connector and what in the world!!! It was barely hanging on the end of the coax! I'd never inspected it that close and obviously it had worn loose and the bare copper center wire wasn't making contact! Pulled it off, cut a new connection, compressed the new fitting on, fired up the receiver and voila! Satellite service!

Got the Dish vip211K to work, called in and had Dish re-set, and was watching Dish network!

Didn't even open the Tailgater. This is all I need, even though its hard, I'm going to return the Tailgater.

Dish did tell me that my local DFW stations are on satellite 110 and not 119 that I'm locked on, but I'll install the 110 checkswitch and do that next weekend.

I'm so happy it was just a silly coax connection!

And feel kinda dumb I didn't see that before.....
Old 08-12-2013, 10:22 AM   #50

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well, I returned my unopened Tailgater.

Feel sad I don't have it, but will feel a lot happier with the credit coming....!

Tags
antenna, dish