Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2014, 09:34 AM   #57

Joey vs Super Joey with hopper question. I have the three Travl'r sat feeds coming into front A/v cab, and a 3 GHz line from there to rear TV cab. Hopper/Joey would appear to be easy setup with solo node in front a/v cab by the receiver. But in addition to the two tuners on a Super Joey, can it function without a hopper if one taking a short trip without spouse who is staying in the house? I.e either leave hopper in house and take Super Joey to MH for weekend, or vica versa? All long trips would be with both of us together and thus typically move both units to MH or back to house, so this is a question about temporarily splitting them up for a short trip where we aren't together. That might be the deciding factor between joey vs super joey. If they can be temporarily separated then a wiring question extrapolating from your very complex 5 TV diagram with the super joey in it. Would I install a 200235 integrator in the front a/v cab on the Sat C feed to the back bedroom and route the other terminal of the integrator back to the solo node (also in the front a/v cab) or do I need to have a 190506 tap right by that solo node too?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2014, 11:27 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXduo View Post
But in addition to the two tuners on a Super Joey, can it function without a hopper . . .
I don't think so. Easy way to find out -- disconnect the Hopper & see if you can still watch TV on the Super Joey.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 03:22 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
I don't think so. Easy way to find out -- disconnect the Hopper & see if you can still watch TV on the Super Joey.
Well, as I don't have it in the house yet, can't try that. Guess I'll have them install the simple Hopper/Joey system and go with that.

Thanks,
Old 10-27-2014, 08:42 PM   #60

dish diagrams

Quote:
I created some DISH TV RV network diagrams that may be of interest to those just installing or planning to update their DISH RV setup.
These are so great! I have them all saved to a file & added them on a thumb drive in case I need them!
What is a vip receiver by the way! I am fairly new to dish & have only used the hopper & joey! I have an 08 Cardinal 5th wheel & would love to take out the Winegard entertainment center switch! It is so outdated; luckily the 2 flat screens (not so flat) do have HDMI so I just by pass the switch! I just found a pdf with some cable info on it. Still trying to figure out how to use it & or rewire the whole system!
Thanks,
Paul
pitchfrkpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:17 PM   #61

Thumbs up

Quote:
I would just use the Dish Anywhere feature! Leave the Hopper & watch the program or movie on your laptop, tablet, or pc using wifi!!! It works great but the Hopper has to be connected to wifi & wifi has to be on at home! It is so ironic to see the error message on your tablet etc. that you have lost track of satellite due to a storm or heavy clouds!
pitchfrkpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 04:17 PM   #62

Tailgater

We are thinking of buying a Tailgater. We've have been trying to find out what we need and cost to use a Tailgater. Dish is not very helpful, I guess because we don't have Dish Network and not ready to drop our cable service. We take our fifth wheel about once a month for 4-5 days. Does anyone know how it works just to use it for a few days each month?
Sheila Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 12:27 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchfrkpaul View Post
I would just use the Dish Anywhere feature! Leave the Hopper & watch the program or movie on your laptop, tablet, or pc using wifi!!! It works great but the Hopper has to be connected to wifi & wifi has to be on at home!
DISH Anywhere is a great feature. However, when your Hopper and tablet, laptop, etc are on different networks, then you're going to use a lot of data because the tablet, laptop, etc in your RV is probably connected to a limited data cell service like Verizon.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:32 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila Rowe View Post
We are thinking of buying a Tailgater. We've have been trying to find out what we need and cost to use a Tailgater. Dish is not very helpful, I guess because we don't have Dish Network and not ready to drop our cable service. We take our fifth wheel about once a month for 4-5 days. Does anyone know how it works just to use it for a few days each month?
Here's the basic Tailgater package -- automatic sat dish + the DISH 211 HD receiver.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:43 AM   #65

Smile Dish Network

We have Dish and they have a program where you pay only for the month you use the RV. You can get the Cube (SAT Dish System) and receiver from them and lease the equipment. Works pretty nice. I moved from that system to an Hopper , and Joey and a Winegard SK-1000 TRAV'LER antenna on top of the roof.

Hope this helps. I have been doing this for about 10 years.

Tom
TommySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 02:25 PM   #66

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Tom, I just had the Travler installed on my coach. I have been using the 211K receiver. Did you install the House and Joey yourself? If so, was any additional equipment required? I have heard there is a piece you can only get from Dish.
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:29 PM   #67

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Should have been"Hopper and Joey. "
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:22 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelm48 View Post
Tom, I just had the Travler installed on my coach. I have been using the 211K receiver. Did you install the House and Joey yourself? If so, was any additional equipment required? I have heard there is a piece you can only get from Dish.
You'll need at least a Solo Node which connects to your dish and to a Hopper and a Joey.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:38 PM   #69

Have hopper/joey hooked up to Trav'lr and works great, at least until we crossed timezones. Now guide off by an hour, but so is the clock so recordings still function on time as 2 wrongs make a right in this case. How do I set the timezone? I don't really care so much bout local channels, that's what the Sensar ant is good for.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:38 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXduo View Post
Have hopper/joey hooked up to Trav'lr and works great, at least until we crossed timezones. Now guide off by an hour, but so is the clock so recordings still function on time as 2 wrongs make a right in this case. How do I set the timezone? I don't really care so much bout local channels, that's what the Sensar ant is good for.
Even though you don't care about local channels, call DISH and have then change your Service Address (not your Billing Address) to the campground address. This will put your Hopper in your local time zone (and get you the local TV stations in your area).

Tags
dish