Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2014, 12:15 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technorick View Post
Wow Thanks. Helpful info...
...Last Question: Assuming I am in an are where I do get locals via the sat and they appear in the guide. Once I scan for locals from the dongle do those replace (in the guide) the locals listed from 129 and 61 sats or do they appear in addition? Just want to know before i buy the dongle for $50.
All the channels coming into the 211 are displayed on the guide (OTA and SAT) - as of the last channel search.

This is the case, even if the OTA channel become weak due to moving the camper around.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2014, 01:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
All the channels coming into the 211 are displayed on the guide (OTA and SAT) - as of the last channel search.

This is the case, even if the OTA channel become weak due to moving the camper around.

How about this:

Will the 211K and 211Z (with dongle) work standalone, without the Sat dish connected, to watch/record an OTA channel? I realize the channel info will not be available.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:13 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Hmm ... I may have to rethink whether I want to add a dongle to my 211Z. That's cheaper than purchasing an OTA Recorder (since I already have a USB hard drive on my 211Z).

So ... with a dongle tuner and a splitter (rooftop antenna split to 2 outputs - TV internal tuner and dongle tuner) I could do 3 things ... watch any OTA channel, record a different OTA channel, and record a SAT channel. Assuming a newer TV with HDMI and coax inputs.

One more question:

Will the 211K and 211Z (with dongle) work standalone, without the Sat dish connected, to watch/record an OTA channel? I realize the channel info will not be available.

Thanks for the info !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
How about this:

Hmmmm....I had to test this, because for us the 211 and dish antenna are always connected and running at the same time...
(equipment is ViP211k with external hard drive)

I did 2 tests:

1. If the 211 is left powered-on but the dish antenna connection is removed - the Guide, the OTA tuner, and DVR programs will continue to work. The SAT tuner/channels are just blacked-out (no signal).

2. If the 211 is powered-off and the dish antenna removed - upon power-up of the receiver (no connection to the dish antenna), the receiver will stop at set-up and cannot continue start-up. If you cancel the start-up, the DVR list/programs can be accessed and played. But, the Guide, OTA tuner and SAT are off-line.

So, if I understand the question... Yes, you could use the 211 as a standalone, if you could keep it powered-on (inverter power while driving?). That way the receiver (without a dish antenna) just thinks there is a storm or something blocking the raw SAT and it keeps running the rest of its functions.

Hope that helps
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 11-26-2014, 02:27 PM   #18

Quote:
Hmmmm....I had to test this, because for us the 211 and dish antenna are always connected and running at the same time...
(equipment is ViP211k with external hard drive)

I did 2 tests:

1. If the 211 is left powered-on but the dish antenna connection is removed - the Guide, the OTA tuner, and DVR programs will continue to work. The SAT tuner/channels are just blacked-out (no signal).

2. If the 211 is powered-off and the dish antenna removed - upon power-up of the receiver (no connection to the dish antenna), the receiver will stop at set-up and cannot continue start-up. If you cancel the start-up, the DVR list/programs can be accessed and played. But, the Guide, OTA tuner and SAT are off-line.

So, if I understand the question... Yes, you could use the 211 as a standalone, if you could keep it powered-on (inverter power while driving?). That way the receiver (without a dish antenna) just thinks there is a storm or something blocking the raw SAT and it keeps running the rest of its functions.

Hope that helps
Yes it does and thanks for taking the time to try it !!!

The reason I asked is there are times when I don't deploy the X2 and was wondering if the OTA tuner would still work. My tuner is ordered but won't arrive before next week. I'll fool around with it and note the "oddities".

I'll try it with the dish connected but not pointed to see if the receiver is just looking for a connection to the dish or whether it must have initial reception.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:07 PM   #19

Quote:
There is a way to skip the satellite acquisition screen on power up, and if you do this you should be able to access OTA without a satellite antenna connection even from a cold start. I'm not sure I remember the command and don't have the system in front of me so I can't try it myself, but I think if you press the '*' key during the initial 'Looking for signal, should take no more than 5 minutes' screen you should drop directly to the system menu and the satellite signal search will be skipped, and you will have access to all the other system functions.

Again, I'm not sure of the key sequence but try '*' and see if that works.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 05:12 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
There is a way to skip the satellite acquisition screen on power up, and if you do this you should be able to access OTA without a satellite antenna connection even from a cold start. I'm not sure I remember the command and don't have the system in front of me so I can't try it myself, but I think if you press the '*' key during the initial 'Looking for signal, should take no more than 5 minutes' screen you should drop directly to the system menu and the satellite signal search will be skipped, and you will have access to all the other system functions.

Thanks !! ... Oh Boy !!! ... I'm gettin' excited now !!

This is my new favorite thread !!!

Now, if I just had my tuner and something worth watching ...
Old 11-26-2014, 05:27 PM   #21

One more thing to note with respect to using OTA functionality without satellite service: if your Dish account has not been current for some time and the receiver has de-authorized all you will be able to do is view DVR recordings. So if what you're looking for is simply OTA functionality with the dish stowed/disconnected and your account is otherwise current then you should have no problem. But if the receiver has been in storage for several months are you turn it on just to use the OTA, I believe you will be denied any functionality beyond DVR playback until the receiver has been re-authorized.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:41 AM   #22

Quote:
One more thing to note with respect to using OTA functionality without satellite service: if your Dish account has not been current for some time and the receiver has de-authorized all you will be able to do is view DVR recordings. So if what you're looking for is simply OTA functionality with the dish stowed/disconnected and your account is otherwise current then you should have no problem. But if the receiver has been in storage for several months are you turn it on just to use the OTA, I believe you will be denied any functionality beyond DVR playback until the receiver has been re-authorized.
Thanks! ... in my case the 211z and X2 are used continuously at the Sticks and taken to the RV when traveling. So, shouldn't be an issue. This should work great since I seldom set up the X2 for less than 2 days at a site.
Old 11-28-2014, 03:33 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

Tested this...pressing the "*" key (also labeled "format") dropped my 211 to the DVR menu.

I tried several other selections from a cold start with no SAT antenna connected, but could not get the OTA tuner to become active.

So, if anyone figures this out - please share.
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 11-28-2014, 06:54 PM   #24

Quote:
Tested this...pressing the "*" key (also labeled "format") dropped my 211 to the DVR menu.

I tried several other selections from a cold start with no SAT antenna connected, but could not get the OTA tuner to become active.

So, if anyone figures this out - please share.
I looked through some notes and have a correction to my instructions above -- I believe that you first have to wait for the sat acquisition screen to time out and display the 'Call Dish Customer Service' popup, and then press "*". Try that and I think it will work.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:53 AM   #25

So I purchased the dongle for my VIP 211 and installed it. Split the coax coming from the digital antenna booster and sent one line to the dongle. Loaded a ton of local channels perfectly. However, although the channel number and "abc" affiliate is listed on the left of the guide but no schedule info appears on the right. Where it is supposed to list the show title simply says "digital station"

Now I did this because my Winegard in motion mission dome is too small / short to see the locals satellite. Did this to be able to record daily day time and news shows. Without the schedules the only way to record is to set the dvr to the channel and record a 12 block. And doing that will not provide a dvr playback title of the shows just the date. I wonder, does the VIP receiver get the guide schedule (for ota broadcasts stations ) info off the locals sat too? This might explain why I am not getting the schedules in my guide?
Technorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:09 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes, our 211 has obtained the guide info for the OTA channels that it found on the channel search.

I believe the guide info comes from the SAT system...and takes a few hours for the 211 to "pull-it" off the SAT.

Give it a few hours and the guide info should show for the OTA channels.

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 12-09-2014, 11:06 AM   #27

I got my dongle last week but the dish is still installed at our Sticks which is 70 miles from a transmitter ... so I don't have an OTA antenna at home. But, next week we are heading for the Keys with a stop in Pompano Beach. I hope to try it out in Pompano since the Keys doesn't have any OTA either. Heavy sigh ...
Old 12-09-2014, 11:00 PM   #28

Quote:
I believe the guide info comes from the SAT system...and takes a few hours for the 211 to "pull-it" off the SAT.
Yes, for a new area or new OTA channels the receiver downloads a small program guide immediately to 'get you going' but it is only good for the next few hours. It takes a while for the full (multiple week) program guide info to download.

Tags
dish