Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-01-2014, 12:40 PM   #1
Community Administrator
 
Scarab0088's Avatar


 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lone Star State
Posts: 19,204
Dish Vip211k - Record 2 programs at the same time?

I always thought our 211k was a true "solo" turner/receiver (record/watch 1 thing at a time) until last night...

(This post is for a Dish Vip-211k with external hard drive for DVR functions.)

We have the 211's timers set-up to record our favorite shows. For any conflicts (shows broadcast at the same time) we just tried to watch the OTA program live while the 211k recorded the SAT program...not great, but better than no DVR.

Last night we were ready to do our normal thing, the DVR started recording SAT, but instead of switching the TV to the Batwing, we were watching the OTA channel on the 211k's internal tuner. When it struck me that I might be messing the recording timer, I checked it, but it was recording fine.

We continued to watch the OTA broadcast and had full control of time shifting (FF, Rew, pause). So as a test, I set-up a timer for an OTA program that was at the same time as a SAT program timer...and yes, both programs were recorded.

I am unsure of how the 211k's program guide is pulling information about the OTA channels broadcast plan days in advance, but it does.

This is awesome to us because I hate watching TV live and was considering the purchase of the new TiVo Roamio OTA ($49.99 plus subscription)because of the conflicts...and now it is not needed.

This is only for recording a SAT channel and an OTA channel at the same time...not 2 SAT or 2 OTA programs.
Does this work on your 211?

Safe travels
__________________
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2014, 12:50 PM   #2
Senior Member
Commercial Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 726
Dish Vip211k - Record 2 programs at the same time?

The OTA tuner is a separate tuner from the normal solo sat tuner in the 211k. The newer 211 (I think z) does not have OTA ability.
__________________
Traveling RV Doctor
https://www.facebook.com/Traveling-R...5780632151951/
shiggs68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 12:59 PM   #3
Community Administrator
 
Scarab0088's Avatar


 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lone Star State
Posts: 19,204
This might also be possible for the 211z with the optional/external OTA Dongle and external hard drive(?)

__________________
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 01:05 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
smiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
This might also be possible for the 211z with the optional/external OTA Dongle and external hard drive(?)
Yes, the 211z works the same way. The 'one at a time' limitation in the 211k/z is due to having a single satellite receiver, but if you have programming available from another source (i.e. the OTA tuner) you can record both sources at once.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088
I am unsure of how the 211k's program guide is pulling information about the OTA channels broadcast plan days in advance, but it does.
When you do a local OTA channel scan the receiver (211k or z) automatically downloads programming information for local channels, just as it does for the sat channels.


Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggs68 View Post
The OTA tuner is a separate tuner from the normal solo sat tuner in the 211k. The newer 211 (I think z) does not have OTA ability.
The 211z does have OTA capability via the USB OTA dongle, and if so equipped works the same as the 211k, as noted above.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:58 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 18
Does the OTA dongle work if the used is used for an external hard drive?
Technorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:46 PM   #6
Community Administrator
 
Scarab0088's Avatar


 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lone Star State
Posts: 19,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technorick View Post
Does the OTA dongle work if the used is used for an external hard drive?


If this is about a 211z, there are 2 USB ports. So yes, the OTA dongle and external hard drive can both be added...they both use a USB port.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dish-211z-receiver-back.jpeg
Views:	370
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	79974
__________________
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 11:38 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,772
To record two programs at the same time you need two tuners, the OTA tuner will work. But to record two programs at the same time don't you also need two record heads(?) and the one attached hard drive doesn't have that, does it?
__________________
Terry & Alice
2006 Bounder 38L DP
2012 GMC Terrain
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 12:31 AM   #8
Community Administrator
 
Scarab0088's Avatar


 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lone Star State
Posts: 19,204
Yes, to record 2 programs, you need 2 tuners (of any type)...that's the reason I started this thread.
The days of "record heads" are gone. The computer inside the receiver does everything.

For recording...
One tuner is the SAT receiver itself.
Another tuner is the OTA receiver (211k built-in, 211z dongle)

So with the 211's, 2 programs can be recorded to the external hard drive at the same time - 1 SAT and 1 OTA.
It cannot record 2 SAT programs or 2 OTA programs at the same time.

AND, you can watch the signal from either tuner or a pre-recorded program while it is recording anything else.

Hope that makes sense.
__________________
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 03:30 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
bruceisla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Foley AL
Posts: 7,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Yes, to record 2 programs, you need 2 tuners (of any type)...that's the reason I started this thread.
The days of "record heads" are gone. The computer inside the receiver does everything.

For recording...
One tuner is the SAT receiver itself.
Another tuner is the OTA receiver (211k built-in, 211z dongle)

So with the 211's, 2 programs can be recorded to the external hard drive at the same time - 1 SAT and 1 OTA.
It cannot record 2 SAT programs or 2 OTA programs at the same time.

AND, you can watch the signal from either tuner or a pre-recorded program while it is recording anything else.

Hope that makes sense.
Hmm ... I may have to rethink whether I want to add a dongle to my 211Z. That's cheaper than purchasing an OTA Recorder (since I already have a USB hard drive on my 211Z).

So ... with a dongle tuner and a splitter (rooftop antenna split to 2 outputs - TV internal tuner and dongle tuner) I could do 3 things ... watch any OTA channel, record a different OTA channel, and record a SAT channel. Assuming a newer TV with HDMI and coax inputs.

One more question:

Will the 211K and 211Z (with dongle) work standalone, without the Sat dish connected, to watch/record an OTA channel? I realize the channel info will not be available.

Thanks for the info !!
__________________
2005 Newmar Essex 4502, 2013 Caddy SRX
1997 HR Endeavor 37, CAT, 1996 Geo Tracker
bruceisla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:57 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 18
Wow Thanks. Helpful info... I run a Vip211Z with a Seagate 2TB external drive to record in a FR3 Class A Coach. Off a new Winegaurd RoadTrip Mission in motion dome... The New Mission replaced the taller RT Stationary dome, and no longer see the 129 or 61 sats where my locals are (even while parked). This is because im in New England where the sats sit too low o the horizon. So Ive reverted to calling Dish to tell them im in NY where the National Feeds are sent on 119 and 110 to get and record the network shows. However using the dongle while stationary will allow recoding of (my real) locals at least while parked.

The HDMI off the 211Z goes to an HDMI splitter that feeds the outdoor TV, the bedroom, and the bunk above the cockpit that feeds a small 7 inch screen mounted at the passenger seat for my wife. A Next Gen IR blaster converts IR to RF to allow the Dish remote to control the 211Z from anywhere in the coach.

Last Question: Assuming I am in an are where I do get locals via the sat and they appear in the guide. Once I scan for locals from the dongle do those replace (in the guide) the locals listed from 129 and 61 sats or do they appear in addition? Just want to know before i buy the dongle for $50.
Technorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:11 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mariposa, CA
Posts: 3,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
So with the 211's, 2 programs can be recorded to the external hard drive at the same time - 1 SAT and 1 OTA.

It cannot record 2 SAT programs or 2 OTA programs at the same time.

AND, you can watch the signal from either tuner or a pre-recorded program while it is recording anything else.
Also, if you're recording a SAT program, you can't watch another SAT program at the same time, right?
__________________
2003 - 2010: 2004 National RV Sea Breeze LX 8341
2010 - 2021: 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095
2021 - ???? : 2001 National RV Sea View 8311
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:11 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
bruceisla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Foley AL
Posts: 7,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technorick View Post
Wow Thanks. Helpful info... I run a Vip211Z with a Seagate 2TB external drive to record in a FR3 Class A Coach. Off a new Winegaurd RoadTrip Mission in motion dome... The New Mission replaced the taller RT Stationary dome, and no longer see the 129 or 61 sats where my locals are (even while parked). This is because im in New England where the sats sit too low o the horizon. So Ive reverted to calling Dish to tell them im in NY where the National Feeds are sent on 119 and 110 to get and record the network shows. However using the dongle while stationary will allow recoding of (my real) locals at least while parked.

The HDMI off the 211Z goes to an HDMI splitter that feeds the outdoor TV, the bedroom, and the bunk above the cockpit that feeds a small 7 inch screen mounted at the passenger seat for my wife. A Next Gen IR blaster converts IR to RF to allow the Dish remote to control the 211Z from anywhere in the coach.

Last Question: Assuming I am in an are where I do get locals via the sat and they appear in the guide. Once I scan for locals from the dongle do those replace (in the guide) the locals listed from 129 and 61 sats or do they appear in addition? Just want to know before i buy the dongle for $50.
In addition because they are different channels (OTA numbers vs. SAT numbers).

BTW, you can get an OTA dongle from Amazon for $40 ... it's listed as a DISH Hopper OTA USB Tuner or something like that ....
__________________
2005 Newmar Essex 4502, 2013 Caddy SRX
1997 HR Endeavor 37, CAT, 1996 Geo Tracker
bruceisla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:17 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
bruceisla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Foley AL
Posts: 7,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
Also, if you're recording a SAT program, you can't watch another SAT program at the same time, right?
True ...
__________________
2005 Newmar Essex 4502, 2013 Caddy SRX
1997 HR Endeavor 37, CAT, 1996 Geo Tracker
bruceisla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:31 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
smiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
BTW, you can get an OTA dongle from Amazon for $40 ... it's listed as a DISH Hopper OTA USB Tuner or something like that ....
I can confirm that. The OTA dongle for the 211z and the Hopper is the same part so just go for the best price. I got mine from Amazon.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dish



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Winegard Roadtrip SDi and Dish VIP722k Jonoracer129 Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 30 12-18-2014 01:04 AM
Dish or DirecTV CentILRVer Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 28 10-21-2014 06:23 PM
Dish Service and King Dome FLYING BUTCH Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 8 10-10-2014 08:44 AM
Portable Satellite Dish Connection Problem TeresaOwen1 Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 9 09-14-2014 07:07 AM
Dish setup question HikerMichael Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 7 09-10-2014 09:39 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.