Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2021, 06:57 AM   #1

Dish Wally Won’t Update

Dish came out with new software update. According to Dish, a Wally can’t update to the new release on a mobile dish and needs to be taken into a dealer to have it updated on a stationary dish. Has anyone else been told this? You can’t can’t locals without this update. Does anyone know a workaround?
SnookDuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2021, 07:22 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Sounds about right. You can use any fixed Dish antenna or Winegard Travler antenna. The unit needs to see all three satellites at once.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 07:26 AM   #3

When did this happen ?

I have a Wally in the RV thats been off for 6 months.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 07:52 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
What is the latest update number?
Old 09-20-2021, 12:27 PM   #5

I think it was 5.06 and I neededto upgradeto 5.07. Dish said the mobile system I have can’t do the update because it’s a mobile system that doesn’t connect to three satellites. I have to take it to a dealer who has a stationary system since I don’t use Dish at home. I think I might upgrade my Sat system that connects to three sats. I don’t want to have to go to dealer for software updates.
Old 09-20-2021, 12:58 PM   #6

The Wally will connect to a 3 lnb dish or a carryout dome.

The carryout dome sees 3 satellites but one at a time.

I use my Wally on both type of antennas.
Old 09-20-2021, 03:25 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The Wally will connect to a 3 lnb dish or a carryout dome.

The carryout dome sees 3 satellites but one at a time.

I use my Wally on both type of antennas.
I've upgraded my Wally in the past while in my RV. I had reception on the 110, 119, and 129 sats but I'd suspect that the update only comes from one sat. I used a Pathfinder II antenna.

FWIW - here are the instructions...
Old 09-20-2021, 03:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
I've upgraded my Wally in the past while in my RV. I had reception on the 110, 119, and 129 sats but I'd suspect that the update only comes from one sat. I used a Pathfinder II antenna.

FWIW - here are the instructions...
The instructions you provided are what you can’t do with the mobile dish and wally. It will state you have the latest download even though you don’t. Their newest download (5.07 I think) will not download on a mobile dome that only connects to one satellite. Dish stated you must take your wally to dealer to update on stationary dish.
Old 09-20-2021, 04:14 PM   #9

My question is what type of mobile system do you have, and have you actually tried to update your Wally using what you have and the procedure outlined above?

I suspect your new to DISH Network and one thing your going to learn is DISH's C/S people don't know diddly squat about RV mobile systems.
Old 09-20-2021, 04:44 PM   #10

Whats the new update have thats so important?

I'm running 506 with my fixed dish.

I have the Outdoors plan and changed my locals last month for a few days.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:01 AM   #11

I have the Wingard RoadTrip SD - Stationary Satellite TV Antenna. It will connect to three satellites but only one at a time. This update just came out. I was in Bar Harbor last week where i got local channels and then moved to Apple Island VT and couldn’t get locals even though I updated my location. I did everything you all would of done. Rebooted, shut down, tried to update software in diagnostics, everything you could try. I’ve worked IT since 1989 so I know how to troubleshoot. I finally realized this isn’t working so I broke down and called Dish. After they tried everything I already tried they asked what RV dome do I have. I told them and they said this software release will not update on a Wally with this type of dome. You must take to Dish dealer and have it updated on stationary dome that can connect to three satellites. I’veused Dish for many many years. Switched about three years ago at home because I was getting tired of losing signal all the time from storms. Also got tired of all there disputes with local providers. This update just happened last week so if it worked for you prior to last week it won’t now if you have system like mine without going to dealer. I hope that answers everyones post questions. I will probably go to local dealer today to see if they install new domes on RVs. This dome is 10 years old so ready for upgrade. I want one that can link to three satellites and work on the go.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:46 AM   #12

I you know someone that has dish in there house just have them do it for you or if by camping world they sell the dish wally and did mine when first bought it.yes sometime some updates the dome dish just wont allow it.
GMONEY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 09:57 AM   #13

I take it your sat is SD only and not capable of receiving DISH HD sat 129. Also a 10 year old Winegard antenna is unlikley to receive DISH Network correctly since it was never configured to receive 8PSK transmission coding that DISH implemented in 2016. Therefore it makes no difference what firmware the Wally is using since your current antenna is limited in it's reception capabilities. I would suggest you purchase a Winegard Pathway X2 portable antenna. The advantage to this antenna is not only is it portable but it can receive both the DISH Eastern Arc and Western Arc satellites allowing increased reception options. There is NO three lnb open face antenna that is able to be used while in motion, and any roof mounted dome antenna will only receive one satellite at a time.

As I mentioned earlier, DISH C/S people do not know diddly squat about RV satellite systems and their operations or limitations. They don't even know which channels are transmitted off which satellites, or whether locals are transmitted on only Eastern Arc or Western Arc satellites.
Old 09-22-2021, 07:56 AM   #14

Would you recommend the Pathway X2 over the Trav’ler? I’m trying to decide if I want a portable over roof mount. I like having a roof mount, but I do see the advantage of a portable for versatility of placement. I’ve only been doing this Sat/RV thing since March. I know the person I bought my rig from used a portable over the existing roof mount. Any recommendation would be appreciated.

Tags
dish