Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2019, 05:07 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Dish wiring

Anyone had success wiring dish tailgater pro to normal cable input of rv and using it on existing cabling to all TVs? We don’t have satellite input on our rv.

We have 2017 wb 31G .

If no then I guess we run dedicated cables thru window.
rvtime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2019, 05:52 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Yes, sometimes it can be done, in particular on newer RVs where Winnebago has been using good quality coax (RG-6) from the basement to the living area. There will be a straight coax run without any splitters between the basement cable TV input jack and the back of a wall plate in the living area that has the cable or roof_antenna selector button and a LED that lights when you select roof antenna. You should be able to remove the specific coax from the back of that wall plate and connect it to your Dish receiver. There may even be enough slack to have it reach without having to do a short extension coax. You should be able to quickly find the right one by having the TV on Antenna TV and be watching an Antenna channel, if you disconnect the cable going to the basement jack the antenna TV signal won't be lost.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 06:20 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I tried it with my coach and it would not work.
mtmsfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 06:35 PM   #4

I tried it too. It worked sporadically and I found two connections loose from the factory.

The dish depends on power and signal from the receiver and loose connections don't work well.

I don't know it there are other connections in the run, so I ran a new dedicated line.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 06:47 PM   #5

They sell small coax inlets with an outside cover and inside plate for cable/sat. I put one at each tv in my RV. Came in through the outside wall into a cabinet. Works great and sealed on the outside.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 09:36 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
Yes, sometimes it can be done, in particular on newer RVs where Winnebago has been using good quality coax (RG-6) from the basement to the living area. There will be a straight coax run without any splitters between the basement cable TV input jack and the back of a wall plate in the living area that has the cable or roof_antenna selector button and a LED that lights when you select roof antenna. You should be able to remove the specific coax from the back of that wall plate and connect it to your Dish receiver. There may even be enough slack to have it reach without having to do a short extension coax. You should be able to quickly find the right one by having the TV on Antenna TV and be watching an Antenna channel, if you disconnect the cable going to the basement jack the antenna TV signal won't be lost.
I'm with Randy on his solution. I put in a lot of sat and cable boxes in RVs and the primary that HAS TO BE DONE is to remove the cable input at the back of the cable/antenna switch plate and route it directly to sat receiver. It WILL work.

If you are afraid of loosing access to the cable input for cable just make an arrangement with some coax jumpers to feed that cable input back to the switch plate when not using the sat receiver.

oh- you'll still have antenna input to your TV even if you remove that cable input to the switch plate.
Old 12-28-2019, 10:36 AM   #7

Thanks traveldog, I am currently dealing with this. I understand you are saying leave the outside port as is, and correct the existing cable from it directly to the Dish receiver. Is this correct? To use a rv park connection I think you are saying I should use a co ax jumper (switch?). Do you have one you could suggest I use?
marsingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 02:14 PM   #8

It works in our coach.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:34 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Yes, if you think you might want to connect to park cable occasionally, you could use a mechanical A-B coax switch with common side to basement CATV jack, A side connected with a short coax to the CATV connector on the back of the wall plate, and B side connected with a short coax to your SAT receiver.

I use this one: A-B Coax Switch There are some cheaper ones for sale with a slider, that were used a lot with video game RF modulators. I would spend the extra bucks for the good one.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 10:56 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
do this......

> park cable into common connection an A/B switch...
> cable from A side of switch to sat receiver
> cable from B side of receiver to "CABLE" input on wall plate/switch (where you took off the cable from to put in the common side of the A/B switch)
Old 12-29-2019, 12:13 PM   #11

Thanks traveldawg and powercat I think I understand it!
marsingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 05:13 PM   #12

Would you please tell me where you found the thru wall connectors you mentioned?
Slurryman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish, wiring