Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2014, 08:02 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTotem View Post
I am sorry, but no they have not nailed it.

When I initiated Dish pay as you go DNS was required to avoid loss of signal as you depart the cone of service and to keep you from making multiple service address changes . . .
You're still comparing Apples & Oranges . . .

Apples = DNS (Distant Network Service) which allows you to get East Coast and/or West Coast NBC, CBS, ABC, and FOX stations. You can get these coastal feeds anywhere as long as you can get sat 119. DNS requires paperwork (RV registration, etc).

Oranges = Local TV stations that are "local" to where you're currently camped. For DISH, here's The List of local TV markets. The TV stations in this list are "spot beamed" to areas all over the country. This just means these stations can only be received in a limited area -- not all over the country. For example, I could only pick up Green Bay TV stations in most of WI and parts of MI, but definitely not in AZ. To get the local stations for your area, call DISH and ask them to change your Service Address to your current campground address.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2014, 08:16 PM   #30

It would be so nice for us RVers if Dish would set up on their web site for us just enter the zip code we are in and let their computers do the work and us watch the local channels we are in. Of course it would have to be a RV account. This would save Dish cost to answer the phone everytime we move and us the pain of calling each time. We can order sports, movies etc. Online why not be able to switch locations, it's all computerized anyway.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:06 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTotem View Post
I am sorry, but no they have not nailed it.

When I initiated Dish pay as you go DNS was required to avoid loss of signal as you depart the cone of service and to keep you from making multiple service address changes. This was provided through a third party. An affidavit and copy of vehicle registration was required.

The following year that changed. Dish started providing DNS directly, and the same paperwork was again required to be submitted to them directly since they were not the recipient of the initial submittal.

Year before last I was told by Dish that they lost the FCC authorization to provide DNS and that until such authorization was regained I was required to call in and change service address each time. As of November I was told this was still the case.

Is this a terrible and inefficient business practice, yes. Is it burdensome to the customer, yes. But it is NOT abuse by the subscriber. It is a requirement of the provider due to problems they have with their regulating body. The customer product is further degraded by poor training in their contracted off shore call centers, and Dish's failure to listen to customer feedback.
No, actually they nailed it. As I said its confusing and I would add complicated. Regarding local stations we typically just rely on our OTA. When we are traveling within our zone we of course get our locals via satellite and thats nice.The fact that satellite reception is complicated by rules and regulations does not ease your frustration which I can understand.
Satellite tv can be a great perk while in an RV but it does take some effort to understand what you are entitled to receive. Got to say that these rules are so complicated that Dish and Direct at times make mistakes too.
VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:40 PM   #32

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've only had Dish at home for 3 months. My Tailgater and 211K only a month, have'nt even taken a trip yet. When I called to activate it after being on hold for 30 seconds or less, she asked me for the #s from the receiver and asked if I would be traveling and want to change my local stations. I said, maybe but I want to be able to if I do. She told me just to avoid any complications when I call to do this, could I send a copy of my motorhome's registration in to them. I did'nt think that was unreasonable so I complied. She was very friendly.
I can understand they need to safe guard against shoplifting the best they can by verifying that their customer do in fact at least own and RV.
I suppose I could still sell my Tailgater and 211K to someone and include my 250+ channels I get from Dish, I'm only paying $7 a month extra for it.
So far, I'm happy with Dish.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:00 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I understand the difference between apples and oranges in this situation. Let me be clear. In this context I am interested in the reception of network programing on the road and do not care if it is local or from a major market on either coast. This is often not available over the air, hence the sat subscription.

I have described accurately what I have encountered in my attempts to do this. I am not the least bit confused about my relationship with Dish. I am simply complying with their requirements, and deeply resent being labeled an abuser of their system by someone who "has nailed it", when I am doing what Dish requires.

Enjoy the conversation guys, but I am out of here.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish