Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2014, 11:45 PM   #1

DishNet VIP211Z talking to TV, but no signal from rooftop Winegard dish

On our inaugural trip with new 2014 Itasca Sunstar 35F. Purchased Dishnet VIP211Z receiver and activated same; found where video RCA (yellow) had not been connected to the back of the main TV. Dishnet install/setup now visible on screen, but all indications are that the receiver is not getting ANY signal from the dish despite pointing into the SW sky and scanning at the recommended azimuth and pitch. Called DishNet Techs and ran several tests, but conclusion is that signal from Winegard dish on the roof of the motor home is not getting to the 211Z receiver.

Checked all visible connections and have done the 10-second disconnect "reboot" of the receiver 2-3 times without success. Most recent DishNet Error Codes 11-11-11 and 11-12-11.

Also discovered HDMI cable coming into the TV set, but no idea of its origin (source) and there is no HDMI cable in the harness located above the driver's seat - all component/RCA wiring.
dsockle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2014, 02:07 AM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
DO you have a DVD player and have you tried it. My guess would be the HDMI is from a DVD player. You probably need to buy another HDMI cable and run it from the Dish box to the TV.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:28 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Hello and . We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy the website and forums. Good luck, stay safe and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:25 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Did you run the "check switch" on the dish install screen? If you do not have the correct switch, you won't get the signals you should from the dish.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:29 AM   #5

Have you looked at any switches on the satellite dome? Make sure that it is set to Dish. Also, the dome gets it's power from somewhere in the couch I believe. Look around where your entertainment systems are for any on/off, power switches that may be off.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:42 AM   #6

Make sure your external antenna booster is turned off.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsockle View Post
Called DishNet Techs and ran several tests, but conclusion is that signal from Winegard dish on the roof of the motor home is not getting to the 211Z receiver.
First, it's DISH, not DishNet. Minor point, but DishNet techs could help with an Internet problem, not TV.

What Winegard dish are you talking about? The automatic Travler? Or an over-the-air (OTA) TV "batwing" manual crank up type?

If it's a Travler, then perform a Check Switch as another poster advised.

If it's an OTA batwing, then you need a special USB OTA tuner from DISH for your 211z. It would be plugged into one of the 2 USB ports on the back of your 211z.

The "old" 211k receivers didn't need one, but the new 211z receivers do.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:33 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
First things, since you stated manually moving your sat antenna, I would presume you have a manual positioned dish on the roof? Second, do you have the optional radio with CD and DVD Player?

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:24 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I had an ongoing problem getting the dish/satellite to work. I now have a note in my manual with the correct procedure of the steps to be done. Think I now have it down. (I am a slow learner with little tech savvy) I know how frustrating this can be. We have a 2012 Itasca Suncruiser so not sure if your set up is the same. I also have 2 buttons to push on the entertainment center that have to be turned on. Then we have a cable from receiver to the antenna/satellite input of the entertainment center. Lot of trial and error. No one seemed much help in this situation. Called everyone I could think to call. Hope you can get it worked out -- works great once you figure what works for your system. Love being able to get the local stations.
motraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:11 AM   #10

THank you ALL for the input

Not getting onto the Internet regularly... still unresolved, and I have found both the Winnebago manuals and online resources to be severely lacking. Here goes an effort to clarify some points:

- it is a hand-crank factory-installed Winegard dish. Even the manual does not give it a model number or name beyond that.
- Camping Worlds all have huge end displays of this DishNetwork VIP211Z and sales/retail folks indicated easy installation and service once you call the applicable DishNetwork number on the box.
- No switches or indications that the dish needs to be set for Dish or DirectTV
- After getting no picture on any of the three coach TV's, I dismounted the main TV (LR/dining area) and found that the yellow video lead had not been connected. Once connected, found that indeed it was this TV to which the harness of wiring was connected. HDMI cable at the TV must be from the DVD player within the Jensen entertainment center at the dashboard, but TV still not recognizing DVD player as one of the component inputs.
- Have tried system install/setup and run the switch check (38 tests) several times. First time showed green on 3 of 4 satellites, but after Dish technician advised to SAVE that test and subsequent result, all subsequent switch checks have been total FAIL with no greens and red "no reception" or something to that effect.
- 3-4 consultations with DishNet techs have all concluded there is no signal getting to the receiver from the rooftop Winegard dish.

I will play with the Jensen console/"entertainment center" to see if that might make a difference. We bypassed the Camping World near El Paso today in favor of ensuring getting a space at the new Ft. Bliss RV park (no reservations taken). If still unresolved, will (hopefully) get answers at the Camping World in San Antonio, where we will likely be staying a week.

Once I/we have this solved, will share with everyone. Thanks for all of the responses. Let me say that I will likely continue to go with "DishNet" to differentiate from simply referring to a satellite "dish." Whether or not that reference is correct, if it serves to elevate understanding of the point or reference, then it serves a purpose. Having been with "Dish" for the better part of the past 12-15 years, I have known them as DishNet for all or most of that time. Egad.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:18 AM   #11

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
If you have the manual crank up satellite antenna, you simply are not going to find it "easy" to do Dish Network TV. Dish Network uses multiple different satellites to distribute programming and that antenna can only see one at a time, and YOU have to re-aim it to see the other satellites.

In my opinion, the closest you would get to "easy" with that antenna would be to try DirecTV in Standard definition, where you only have to find the 101 satellite.
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:52 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
dsokle, with your latest comments, I would say you need to talk things over with Winnebago.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:15 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
dsokle:
The dish you described is likely the Winegard RM-DM46 and might have an (optional) elevation sensor mounted somewhere inside. I suggest you D/L the manual from the Winegard site. To use it, you need to use a compass to properly set the direction dial below the crank at North. You will need to know the direction in compass degrees and the elevation in degrees at your site for the satellite you are trying to acquire. You will need to turn on the TV and the menu (6-1-1) in the receiver to display the signal strength so you will know when you are getting a signal and then optimize the strength.
You will also have to uninstall any switches that you might have previously installed as none are required with this dish.
I had one on a Class C and would set the elevation and scan 30 degrees in both directions from the "stated heading" and then raise or lower the elevation from the stated elevation until I acquired the satellite. It is a trial and error process and will be made simpler if you have the optional elevation sensor. Remember, your coach must be level to find the satellite using this dish. While it sounds complicated at first, once you get some experience and have the correct information for the satellite you want, you should be able to get it in 1-2 minutes.
Good luck!
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:31 AM   #14

Thanks All - headed to Camping World today

Will let you know what was the disconnect or secret I/we were missing.

Thanks again for taking the time to advise.

Dan

Tags
dish, roof