Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2010, 03:32 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Dishnetwork and dish pause

We are leaving on a RV trip this Friday and I have put Dishnetwork on pause while we are gone. We will be gone a couple months. I have a extra receiver in our RV and from what I am told. I will have to do away with the pause on my Dishnetwork and pay the $57 a month regular charge for Dish plus $10 for the extra receiver. We stay at campground that mostly have cable. I hate to pay $67 for something that I may use only a few times a month. Anyone know of a better plan?
Tom
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2010, 04:11 PM   #2

Either you DO want Dish Network service or you DO NOT want Dish Network service and you can put it on vacation. You only need one receiver (the master) in your RV and you can suspend or disconnect any additional you do not need to save a couple of bucks a month.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:21 PM   #3

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I hate paying with the additional receiver $67 a month for something that I may be only to use a few times. I find while Rv ing trees get in the way a lot of times. Dishnetwork get $5 for the extra receiver and another $5 because the receiver cannot call in for programing . I would have had Direct TV a few years ago but the tech did not show up and I waited all day for him. They probably don't have anything better either. I think I will leave the pause on and get it going when I get back.
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:26 PM   #4

You original question appears to be that you are looking for a better plan. What other kind of a plan would suit you better? You can't turn the service on and off for a day or two here and there so it's just a matter of whether you do or do not need satellite TV. If you are in a campground with free cable you certainly do not. If you are going to be traveling and out of range of OTA TV you certainly do. Somewhere in-between is likely where your situation falls and only you can decide if you want to pay the fee. The only extra fee is the $5/month for no phone line and many DN customers have been successful in having this fee waived.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:22 PM   #5

DishformyRV

Go to DISHForMyRV: DISH Mobile Satellite Systems & Pay-As-You-Go TV for RV, Tailgating, & the Great Outdoors and get set up that way. Then you can use your account/equipment wherever and whenever you want. Even at your home. When you do not wish to use, simply stop paying the prepaid bill. Then, when you want to turn it back on, there is no additional charges. Many folks use this just for RVing, but you can use it in your home too (it all works the same). This will provide you with the solution to your problem as you explained it.
ddewsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
I prefer my own Satellite account as many campgrounds have poor cable or without a good guide you don't know what coming up next or what you can record to watch while your out exploring for the day. I DVR all the way, so I am not hooked to the TV when I can be outside enjoying nature for the day.
jroethke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddewsbury View Post
Go to DISHForMyRV: DISH Mobile Satellite Systems & Pay-As-You-Go TV for RV, Tailgating, & the Great Outdoors and get set up that way. Then you can use your account/equipment wherever and whenever you want. Even at your home. When you do not wish to use, simply stop paying the prepaid bill. Then, when you want to turn it back on, there is no additional charges. Many folks use this just for RVing, but you can use it in your home too (it all works the same). This will provide you with the solution to your problem as you explained it.

One problem with this plan, you have to own your equipment. When you disconnect your regular service DISH will want their leased equipment returned. The Pay-As-You-GO plan requires you to purchase your equipment.
lllkrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:00 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I pause my Dish whenever we leave the brick house. Anything programs on TV I miss while traveling due to poor campground cable I download and use a media player to watch on the MH TV.
Buford B is offline   Reply With Quote