Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2015, 05:35 AM   #1

Do most RV'ers use Satellite TV?

We are on the road about 50% of the time, calling ourselves 'Half-Timers'. I have been using Comcast TV at home.

Should I switch to DirectTV for both home and the RV?

I would like to get HD and use a portable satellite dish.

This style of setup appears to be the most cost effective. And I can use my OTA antenna for local channels.

Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks, JohnnyB
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2015, 05:43 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We use Dish Network on a Pay As You Go account. This account can be cancelled and restarted any time without a penalty, which would be great for your "part timer" situation. We use a Pathway X2 antenna which is very easy to set up. I just call Dish, give them the Zip code where we are, and they turn on the local channels for that location.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 05:55 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
If you are running half-time, then Dish would be cheaper but you'd loose some of the HD. We tried to use Dish for a while, but we only use ours about every other weekend plus a couple of longer trips per year, and with those gaps between uses, Dish would disconnect us every time. This meant spending at least an hour per setup calling then and going through layers of customer no-service until I'd get to someone who understood RV accounts and would re-zap my receivers. It's not worth it for us to go through that hassle and my camping weekends are now less stressful once I gave up on Dish and consider that black bubble on the top of my RV a decoration.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 06:02 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
As far as your question I'd say it's probably about 60% do use satellite. We don't as of yet. We are both retired but also just camping on a monthly basis. We are still attached to the S&B and don't have any plans to sell. I am currently teaching a three week course at the local Vo-Tech and can't get away. Also finishing up some MODS on the coach and still working on the S&B kitchen cabinets. So we are at home a lot with a bunch of things to do/finish. But it's also doing what we like to do.

When we travel we can always get most local antenna channels and they are usually good. No we don't have the choices of satellite that we have at home. We also engage in a lot of other activities when we are in the MH. I/we read, fish, visit, sight see, exercise, relax, etc, etc. We also do about the same when we are at home.

For us retirement is all about doing what we want to do, when we want to do it. So if you are hooked to certain programing and just can't do without your daily sports fix, or NASCAR update, or golf etc, etc then get yourself the SD set up. We like some of that stuff but can also do without it for some time with no ill effects on our lifestyle.

Currently the Women's World Cup soccer is going on. That (& men's WCS) is about one of my only like to see sporting events. Were we not home then we'd just record the games and watch them when we got home. Also I don't absolutely have to see them either.

It's all about choices. Often times when we are camping some of the folks get together and just talk. As the evening gets on some retreat to their RV's and watch TV. Some are getting up in years and can't get around as well so that might be a must for them. What ever you believe is going to be best for you is the route to go.

TeJay
Old 06-24-2015, 06:21 AM   #5

A question about Pay as You Go, how do they bill, is a month billing from the 1st of the month or is it from when you call to start the service. We will be using this for the first time next week. We also have the Windegard motion satelite, how does that work when you are stationary.
edstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 06:36 AM   #6

I had DirecTV in the S&B, and boat.

When I sold the house, the box went in the MH. I picked up a King Quest dome for the roof. I also have a tripod dish, for shady sites.

Because I was a NJ customer, I get DNS, without charge. I just changed my billing address.

I am using standard definition, because HD, on the boat, was not available on my KVH, in motion dome.

When I switch from RVing to Cruising, I 're-activate the box, online in 3 minutes.

OTA, TV is poor, at best and not available in the FL. Keys.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:01 AM   #7

I'm curious about this as well.

If I have Dish or Direct in my home, can I take the receiver and use it in the coach or in another house? Do all I need is the dish?
Slolane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:02 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have Dish. We had 3 homes: the S&B, a lake camp, and the MH. Dish was set up at the lake camp. I bought a duplicate dish online and mounted on the S&B house. I would bring the Dish receiver (722K dual) home and hook it up and all would work well. I didn't need to call Dish to change the local channels because the S&B and lake camp were within 5 miles of each other. When we hit the road in the MH for a few months, I would unmount the dish from the house and take it and the receiver with us. I mounted the dish on a tripod. In order to get the local channels, I would call Dish and give them my new location address. Dish would download the local stations. The local spot-beams are effective over a 100-200 mile radius. If I didn't feel like calling Dish to change the spot-beams, I could also use my antenna to get the locals. Since I always have the receiver with me, I didn't get the pay-as-you-go and the extra receiver charges. I can get HD at any location I'm at. The 722K is HD on the main TV, but SD on the second TV.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:06 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Edstep. I do not recall exactly when they start billing but it is prorated if not a full month. Pretty easy to call and start and stop the service or switch local channels.

In regards to having direct or dish at home and adding a receiver for RV yes , just need a dish. Many people do this.

Steve
Old 06-24-2015, 07:07 AM   #10

We have a DirecTV Traveler dish, and all I did was take one of the boxes out of my daughters house and hook it up in the coach. Been doing it for over 5yrs. now.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:08 AM   #11

"Do most RV'ers use Satellite TV?"

I would say it varies depending on how frequently you travel and how important TV is to your travel life style.
I'm most familiar with fulltime RV'ers and in that group, yes the vast majority use either Dish or DirecTV. but there are some who either rely on OTA channels when available, or CG cable connections as a backup.
When your physical location changes frequently, there is just no other method as reliable and as convenient as SAT TV.
Jim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:30 AM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
At home, I'm 100% cable tv including the Internet and I also use NeTalk (same as Magic Jack)for home phone.
In my mh, I just use my regular tv antenna for local news and if cable is offered, I'll also use. And I use the WI-FI for my Internet and my NeTalk.
p.s. my mh has a automatic Direct TV compatible XPress Vu dish that I've never used, I would have to change it to a SHAW to get my home channels.
normandlegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:35 AM   #13

I use DirecTV at home and in my RV. The nice thing about it is they treat my RV receivers as if they are just additional receivers in my house, so I only pay one flat fee for both home and RV, plus now my RV gets HBO, NFL Red Zone, and the "extras" that I pay for at home. In my old RV I used Dish "pay as you go" service. It was also good, but then I was paying for both DirecTV and Dish, so I like my current setup better.
RedRaider93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunsje View Post

Should I switch to DirectTV for both home and the RV?

I would like to get HD and use a portable satellite dish.

This style of setup appears to be the most cost effective. And I can use my OTA antenna for local channels.
I would do that. The only drawback is that a HD capable portable dish is harder to set up than a SD dish.

If I was in the coach 1/2 time, and not in the same spot for long periods of time, I would spring for the Trav'ler dish on the roof instead of hassling with the portable dish.

Tags
satellite, satellite tv