Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2012, 08:27 PM   #1

Do portable satellite antennas walk off

I've recently purchased a Winegard Carryout Dome satellite antenna but haven't had a chance to use it yet. Just wondering if anyone using something portable like this has had it walk off while being used in a campground when it has to be placed maybe 10-50 feet away from the RV to clear trees or other obstacles.

Should it be chained to a stake, tree, or some other object to make it a little bit difficult to be carried off? Or will nothing help if someone wants it? Wasn't really thinking about this possibility when I spent $600 for it and now wondering if I screwed. Thought about spray painting it some color other than the white it came in so it wouldn't be quite so obvious setting out in the open but the manual says painting will affect the reception (and of course, the warranty).

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2012, 08:40 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
Forest River Owners Club
I've thought about that too with ours. Most that has happened so far is our friends getting one too when I had our satellite up and running in just a few minutes while they were still working on getting their dish pointed in the right direction. So far so good. Where we camp, I've seen quite a few like ours.

I am also interested in other's experiences especially since I am planning on going full-time some time in the future.

Dawn
2012 Coachmen Encounter towing 2010 Honda FIT
Dawn309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:41 PM   #3

I guess that will depend on the type of park you are at. I would not leave it out when I was not at the camper. It is just too easy to walk away with a high priced item to take the chance. Painting the dome will reduce your signal strength. Maybe a smart thing to do is buy the ladder mount and have it attached there when u are parked. It will be a lot harder stealing it then.
Martino78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:29 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought a 50' cable from Lowe's for less than $20. I taped the cable, coax and power cord all together and lock the cable to the Carryout and the MH. I know nothing will stop a thief but this will slow them down. I also do not leave it out if we are gone. The problem with the ladder mount is the same as with my roof mounted sat antenna, TREES.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:39 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
they make cable bike locks with alarms
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:44 PM   #6
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have maybe one of the first Carryout Antenna. It did not come with that little ring on the front so I wondered how to secure it. I have the little tripod for the Carryout. In putting it together I noticed that there are two 1/4x20 threaded nuts in the Carryout. It is used to lock the tripod to the base of the antenna. I purchased a 1/4x20 threaded eye-bolt screwed it trhough the tripod base and into the antenna and double nutted it on the inside. I have some chain-link I picked up at Loews and two padlocks.

One end of the chain link gets locked to the eye-bolt and the other is secured in my electrical compartment where the antenna hook-up are located. So I have peace of mind knowing that I have done my "better." (Stowing it when not there would be best, but what the hey!) The system is not burglar proof. Anyone with the right tools can cut chain, cable, lock, break open compartments, etc., but just maybe one of my fellow neighbor campers will see or hear them doing it and just might be able to create enough noise to scare them away.

Good luck. It's easy to secure - to an extent to be comfortable.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:50 AM   #7

I use a long bike cable and padlock it to my bumper.
schneid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:53 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Our VuQube hasn't walked away so far......

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I have maybe one of the first Carryout Antenna. It did not come with that little ring on the front so I wondered how to secure it. I have the little tripod for the Carryout. In putting it together I noticed that there are two 1/4x20 threaded nuts in the Carryout. It is used to lock the tripod to the base of the antenna. I purchased a 1/4x20 threaded eye-bolt screwed it trhough the tripod base and into the antenna and double nutted it on the inside. I have some chain-link I picked up at Loews and two padlocks.

One end of the chain link gets locked to the eye-bolt and the other is secured in my electrical compartment where the antenna hook-up are located. So I have peace of mind knowing that I have done my "better." (Stowing it when not there would be best, but what the hey!) The system is not burglar proof. Anyone with the right tools can cut chain, cable, lock, break open compartments, etc., but just maybe one of my fellow neighbor campers will see or hear them doing it and just might be able to create enough noise to scare them away.

Good luck. It's easy to secure - to an extent to be comfortable.
Sounds like a good approach. Wish the dome would be close enough to the coach to chain it to some part but the National Forest CG in Colorado we usually are in has enough tress that it will take a 50' chain but that may be a lot cheaper than replacing the dome.
When I had my homemade $10 tripod and free dish I didn't worry about it but now things have changed. Thought I was making setup easier but maybe just as much effort to protect the dome. The bike alarm lock sounds like a good idea also.

Appreciate all the excellent suggestions.

Wagonmaster2
Old 04-26-2012, 07:12 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
My VU Qube has a locking ring and I use a cable lock to secure it to a tree, table leg or what ever. It can be defeated, but it will slow down the local jerk.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:51 PM   #11

I chain lock my portable 50A surge protector to the service post so from all the responses it looks like I'd better start organizing some kind of locking chain for my CarryOut also.

Wagonmaster2
Old 04-27-2012, 04:23 PM   #12
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
......Wish the dome would be close enough to the coach to chain it to some part but the National Forest CG in Colorado we usually are in has enough tress that it will take a 50' chain but that may be a lot cheaper than replacing the dome.........

Appreciate all the excellent suggestions.

Wagonmaster2
Wagonmaster2,
I picked up 40' of about a 1/4 inch chain link chain (welded links)from Lowe's. Only 40' because that is all they had left on the spool. It is light enough that you can grab an end and jut pull it out to the dome. I told you how I secured it to the dish. For the MH, since my power and antenna connector feed is in my electrical compartment, I have a 2+ foot (width of compartment) of that metal angle iron with holes and slots in it. (Can't remember the name). The chain snakes up along side the electric cord and is padlocked to the center of the angle iron. There is no way to reach up and maneuver the angle iron around. It would take a bolt cutter to cut the chain and steal the dome. It can be done, but I just hope the fellow campers see someone with a bolt cutter and start asking questions.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:46 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Best approach is to use a motion sensor connecter to a couple of 12 ga shotguns aimed toward the dish.....Need to adjust the sensitivity to not trigger on any thing under about 75 pounds.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:40 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Best approach is to use a motion sensor connecter to a couple of 12 ga shotguns aimed toward the dish.....Need to adjust the sensitivity to not trigger on any thing under about 75 pounds.

Ken
I think you need to rethink your plan just a bit. I would suggest aiming high so as to hit the the thief but completely miss the dome. It would be tragedy to put 00 holes in a perfectly innocent sat dome.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite