Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2007, 10:37 AM   #1

I thought I read something in one of the posts here about this but I cannot find it now. Since I am completly new to satellite(cable at home)so the question is, does a dual LNB setup require 2 separate Coax cables?
RV 4 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2007, 10:37 AM   #2

I thought I read something in one of the posts here about this but I cannot find it now. Since I am completly new to satellite(cable at home)so the question is, does a dual LNB setup require 2 separate Coax cables?
Old 05-30-2007, 11:49 AM   #3

Mike, if you are using a dual LNB in order to get different channels on different TV's, you need to run two cables. One to each receiver.

The reason I stated it this way is I have a dual LNB set up that I took off my house and keep for the RV in case my roof mount will not get reception. I run one cable to my RV since I only have one receiver on either of the two connection I choose.

Two receivers, two cables and you are set up for two different TV's.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:00 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mike and Linda, some roof mount tracking domes use a single cable with a "DE-STACKER" to operate two seperate receivers (DUAL LNB SETUP). The KVH-R6 is one that uses a single cable and de-stacker with a dual LNB setup. This allows you to operate two separate receivers and watch different channels on two TV's.

Glenn
Old 05-30-2007, 05:22 PM   #5

Cool, thanks for the helpful info.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:41 AM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I have a Super dish here at the house and have tried to take the receiver with me camping. I have a 500 dish with two LNB and cannot make it work. It sends no power to the LNB. I have another receiver and it will work but it is a older receiver and all the programs have been canceled. I can call the Dish Network and pay $5.00 a month for them to activate the older receiver, but hate to do that for something we will hardly ever use. (due to cable and trees at the campgrounds that we stay at) Is there anyway to make the newer receiver work?
Tom
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:41 AM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by diandtom:
I have a Super dish here at the house and have tried to take the receiver with me camping. I have a 500 dish with two LNB and cannot make it work. It sends no power to the LNB. I have another receiver and it will work but it is a older receiver and all the programs have been canceled. I can call the Dish Network and pay $5.00 a month for them to activate the older receiver, but hate to do that for something we will hardly ever use. (due to cable and trees at the campgrounds that we stay at) Is there anyway to make the newer receiver work?
Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I fully appreciate your problem. I too went through this and decided with an extra dish and cable, I can use the house receiver (Dishnet) in the RV without the extra $5/month. Now I do this everytime without a problem in almost every campground we have visited.

So.....

First if no power is at the LNB, check the connections, especially where the cable connects to the RV. There should be about 9 to 12 volts.

Look at the cable connectors, the center conductor may be too short to make a connection. I have seen them broken and bent over.

If it is bent over, it likely is shorting the voltage. Unplug the receiver (this resets the power supply), straighten the center conductor, plug in the receiver and recheck.

A good check is to measure the voltage at the SAT input connector on the receiver. If there is none there, then the receiver may be defective, but this a rare instance and unlikely.

Do you have a Video selector box? If so, check the selections.

Then make sure the cable in the RV is connected to the SAT input connector on the receiver.

Next, which system are you speaking about? DirecTV or DishNet ??

Note DirecTV and Dishnet equipment are not fully compatible.

Do you know the model number of the receiver?

On the Dish 500 (Dishnet) is the LNB a DIshPro Dual? Check markings. Also if there are seperate LNB's, can you tell what they are? Again check markings.

Sorry for the questions, but sometimes troubleshooting remotely needs extra info in order to help solve the headache.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 11:38 AM   #8

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
The receiver is a 322 and I am using a Dish Network 500 dish. I am only taking the one receiver and will use it with one TV set. I am not getting any voltage to run the LNBs. I have ran it from the receiver to the dish with out using any of the trailer wiring. The older receiver that my daughter gave me will work but the programming has been removed. I think the 322 receiver needs two inputs from the LNBs to make work but not sure.
Tom
Old 06-07-2007, 03:38 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi, The Dish 500 has a duel LNB because the unit is aiming at two different sats. You should have two leads of coax to a switcher and then one coax to the receiver itself. There is three settings, Scew, elevation and azimuth. The receiver will give you these settings when you tell it the Zip code. I set that scew first, then those other two. I now have the same setup with Directv as they have a three LNB, and the three settings so I just got ours and it is a little more complicated but still doable!
Good luck, Capt. Dan
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 03:57 PM   #10

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Thanks Capt Dan, I guess I need a switch.
Tom
Old 06-07-2007, 06:57 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Yep, Mine was a golden color with Dish networks on the case,but it has two coax inputs on one side and one on the other that goes to the receiver, Good luck! Capt.
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 03:08 AM   #12

If you are using the dome or manual roof top dish then you need to run a check switch to set your system up i have to do it every time i use the roof top dish as it will only pick up one sat at a time if you are using a portable dish and have local chanels at home which requires a second dish and you are not setting up for them you will need to do the same check switch
SJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:30 AM   #13

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by diandtom:
The receiver is a 322 and I am using a Dish Network 500 dish. I am only taking the one receiver and will use it with one TV set. I am not getting any voltage to run the LNBs. I have ran it from the receiver to the dish with out using any of the trailer wiring. The older receiver that my daughter gave me will work but the programming has been removed. I think the 322 receiver needs two inputs from the LNBs to make work but not sure.
Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am sorry for not responding eartlier, but we had to make a quick trip and just returned.

The Dish 500 uses a dual DishPro LNB. It has a built in switch and only one coax is needed. Normally if you are not getting any voltage out of the receiver, the receiver is defective.

THe 322 is a dual receiver, ie. it can tune to 2 different channels at the same time and provide video to 2 seperate TV sets. The 2nd TV video is normally controlled via a UHF wireless remote. This dual feature may have some set up needs that is keeping you from success. If you have the manual for the 322 receiver check the info for dish hook up..they sometimes have diagrams showing. Check on the set up requirements too.

Click HERE for the manual. I looked at it and there is a very good cable hook up section.

Then click on THIS for a Pdf file that shows exactly what the hook up is for many combos.

Finally as someone said do a CHECK SWITCH test.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 12:04 PM   #14

I agree with Flytyer. I have the Dish 500 dual LNB and only use one cable out to my 5vr. The dual LNB is to get 2 sats, (the 119 and the 110)not to hook up two recievers. When I have problems getting a signal, I do a "check switch" and that usually does the trick.

"Lake House": 2001 Sierra 30BHSS
cdrsmr is offline   Reply With Quote