Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2014, 03:46 PM   #1

Dome in-motion satellite vs Winegard auto seek satellite dish

May I get some comments pro/con on having the dome mounted satellite for in-motion reception vs the Winegard fixed auto seeking satellite dish. Our current coach as the Winegard dish, and I'm pleased with it; however all the new coaches we're looking at have the dome satellite. What say you?
Rogerm60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2014, 04:48 PM   #2

What satellitee provider? What do you want SD or HD?
Old 11-03-2014, 06:18 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a in motion dome dish. It worked better than I expected but not perfect. What are you going to do with a dish that works while you are moving. Even if kids or grandkids are involved they can sit in the back and watch dvds better.

That being said. I have a winegard traveler which is what I think you mean by fixed auto seeking dish. if so I personally think anything other than the traveler is a waste of money and substandard. Unless you are just going to use your tv to watch the weather channel for storm conditions dome dishes have so many limitations as to be useless. If you order a new MH have them put a traveler on instead of a dome. If you buy one off of the lot include switching over to the traveler as part of the deal. Remember that dish and directv have a different dish so make sure you have them get you the one that works with your system.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:47 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerm60 View Post
May I get some comments pro/con on having the dome mounted satellite for in-motion reception vs the Winegard fixed auto seeking satellite dish. Our current coach as the Winegard dish, and I'm pleased with it; however all the new coaches we're looking at have the dome satellite. What say you?
Difference is that you will not get HD on DirectTV. Do you really need in-motion? I sure don't. I prefer the Satellite dish with HD.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:50 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Had 2 previous domes, now have the Travler and will never have another dome. The Travler locks on every time and nevers fades out in rainy or misty conditions.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:55 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Agree with Gemini. We removed our Dome and replaced with Winegard Travler, using DISH as provider. The Travler is a bigger reflector and thus works better in marginal treed conditions, rain, etc. it is mandatory for 1080 HD satellite reception. A great piece of gear, and far more reliable than our Kingdome. On site setup is simple. It is a sturdy unit, makes no air noise on the road. We never used the in motion feature of the King Dome in 3 years on the road. If I haven't sold you, I have the old dome available cheap. Email larrikin39@ Hotmail.com.
Larrikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:02 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
We have the King-Dome 9760. Tried once to get it set up while in motion and could not get it to lock on. Never tried again. Heard later that I should initiate the set up while stationary. Kinduv defeated the purpose to me.

If you are looking for a way to receive TV while rolling down the highway, don't forget about the line-of-sight complications presented by trees, bridges, tunnels, canyons, tall buildings, etc.

\ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:05 PM   #8

American Coach Owners Club
We use the in motion with non-HD Directv. It's our preference only because we record a lot of shows while we're traveling. Especially sports shows that are only broadcast once live.
dfchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:06 PM   #9

We will be ordering a 2015/16 Entegra Cornerstone . Ill drop the dome and just go with traveller for directv. If DW wants tv underway she can stream off her ipad.. In motion is to choppy most times and not worth it IMO. No grand kids for us and the pups dont seem to mind either way👍

Robert & Jana Stanton... Birthing a 20..something CornerStone 44B
Old 11-03-2014, 07:13 PM   #10

I have in motion dome with Dish get all the HD channels works great you under bridges it goes off and comes right back on.It picks up 110 119 129
REB16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:13 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
As mentioned above, I also have the Travler SWM3 DirecTv HD Satellite Dish and absolutely love it. Locks on to the necessary satellites in about 5 minutes. Great picture with no blackouts. If you are a HD DirecTv fan, this is the satellite dish to buy.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:22 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sat TV 100.1 Antennas
Dish type antennas come in several flavors, One for DISH, (Well 2) one for DirecTV, and one for DirecHDTV, you get the type that matches your service and they work, One receiver, Two, a Dual Input DVR (or 2) they work, you many need a special switch with more than 2 channels but they work, period, no problems save (in the case of roof top units) the evil signal eating tree and the odd opps I forgot to lower it.

DOMES: these days do not work as well.

First: Being smaller they have less gain and thus weaker signals, they are more sensitive to weather fade. And of course like all rooftop antennas the evil signal eating tree. But beyond that:

DirecTV (NOT HD) they work if the dome has dual output they will work with 2 or more receivers or DVR's using (if more than two channels at a time) the proper switch same as a solo LNB dish (Solo means one LNB, SINGLE means one LNB one output, DUAL means one lNB two outputs).

DirecHDTV: they do not work for HD at all, only SD.

Dish: SOME models of domes will work well with a SINGLE receiver, but domes have a limit: ONE satellite at a time, there is no dome designed for more than one sat at a time. so if you want to use a dual channel DVR or multiple receivers then you need to either:

A: install two (or more) domes, or B: everybody watches same satellite.

HOWEVER: You can record while changing campgrounds so my-lady's Soaps can be watched after you park.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:00 AM   #13

Have the traveller , works well for us.
John and Susan. New 2018 Chevrolet 2500 2 WHD . 6.6 Duramax 3.73 rearend. .4 door ,Short, Bed W/Topper. 2017 Grand Design 297 RSTS. Our rescue dog Annie. Still ,Full timing since 07-01-2011. No sticks and bricks.
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:26 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by REB16 View Post
I have in motion dome with Dish get all the HD channels works great you under bridges it goes off and comes right back on.It picks up 110 119 129
You are correct it does work pretty well. I had trouble with mine taking a long time to lock on but that might have been a problem with that unit. At least that is what the dealer said when I traded it in for a traveler. My biggest complaint with domes is 4 fold. 1. anyone watching a bedroom tv has to be on the same satellite as the front tv. If the front tv changes channels to a different satellite you lose what you were watching in back. 2. Every time you want to change to a different channel on a different satellite you have to wait for the dish to move to the other satellite position. 3. It does not like dual input DVR recievers so you lose a lot of your recording capacity. and you don't even want to think about a hopper. 4. If you park where there are trees it is easier to mask the smaller dish from getting any signal versus the traveler with the bigger dish.

Other than those things it is not a bad unit.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish, satellite