Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2021, 12:49 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Downloading maps in advance

I hope somebody smarter than me can help! We want to download maps from point A to point B in advance of our trip. We cannot seem to get away from current location for a starting point if we wish to save it.

For example we are at home now in Erwin, TN but want to find and save a route on google maps or Waze from Nashville, TN to Madison, WI. We then want to save it and recall and use it at a later date. We just canít seem to figure it out. doing the route we can do, but saving it we see no way. It always wants to start us in Erwin, TN. Google maps or Waze either will work for us. Help!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2021, 01:02 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think Google maps will warn you when you about dead zones, and will give you the option of downloading the maps for those areas prior to departure. Besides that, it wants connectivity all the time, I think.

I don't know if the mobile version allows for this, but the desktop browser version of Google maps allows you to share or embed a map. I've found this useful for saving routes.

To do this, map your route as usual, then click the little hamburger icon in the upper right. Select Share or Embed from the menu, and Google will feed you back a short link for the route. I just did this map from Redmond, WA to Spokane, WA as a test:

https://goo.gl/maps/Ru2Ny1eNpYyiwUgYA

Using the link that Google provides, you can create a favorites folder in your browser, saving all the links to the routes you've mapped out.

edit: adding link for Nashville, TN -> Madison, WI

https://goo.gl/maps/orgFnVbVmp8Eq14r5
dwirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:50 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
I think it goes something like this....

basically you sign into Google Maps, make a map in "Your Places", save it, then on your smartphone on the google app sign in there and go to the saved icon and see the map you created.

I haven't tried all the steps, but I think that would be the way you do it. Of course, there are lots of steps I am just highlighting how I think it would be done.

I think some sleuthing in the google maps app help functions and a bit of internet searching will reveal the exact steps.

I'm not sure why you'd want to do all that tho when you just enter an address from where you want to start and let google (or Waze) direct you. Other than Google/Waze don't care that you are driving an RV and they think you are in a car it'll get you there.

Google/Waze is hardly the ideal RV routing app. Even when you customize it ahead of time.

An easier alternative would be to just create the exact route you want and print it out keeping google/Waze on in the meantime as an assistant.
Old 05-12-2021, 04:35 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
I think it goes something like this....

basically you sign into Google Maps, make a map in "Your Places", save it, then on your smartphone on the google app sign in there and go to the saved icon and see the map you created.

I haven't tried all the steps, but I think that would be the way you do it. Of course, there are lots of steps I am just highlighting how I think it would be done.

I think some sleuthing in the google maps app help functions and a bit of internet searching will reveal the exact steps.

I'm not sure why you'd want to do all that tho when you just enter an address from where you want to start and let google (or Waze) direct you. Other than Google/Waze don't care that you are driving an RV and they think you are in a car it'll get you there.

Google/Waze is hardly the ideal RV routing app. Even when you customize it ahead of time.

An easier alternative would be to just create the exact route you want and print it out keeping google/Waze on in the meantime as an assistant.
The reason we want to do things in advance is the travel will actually be in Iceland with DW driving alone in a rental car with uncertain cell coverage. To simplify my post I made it a simple US example. She solved the issue last nite by saving each stopping point on her trip in google. Now she will just look up the next point each day and let google take her there. Apparently the cell coverage is very good in Iceland, the roads she will be using very few, just one major ďringĒ road it is called and so we were probably worried about nothing.

For future rv use, I would like to figure it out and so thank you folks for the replies.

P.S. as a side note this past trip I used google and Waze side by side to see which we preferred. Google for the satellite views, and Waze for everything else.
Old 05-12-2021, 08:28 AM   #5

Unrelated. Erwin tn, we lived in tn for 20+ years and I remember driving uo to Erwin as a youngster and trekking through the mountains to dig up a mess of ramps. I hate onions but love me some ramps
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Billett Bee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 06:22 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billett Bee View Post
Unrelated. Erwin tn, we lived in tn for 20+ years and I remember driving uo to Erwin as a youngster and trekking through the mountains to dig up a mess of ramps. I hate onions but love me some ramps
There still is a ramp festival each year in Flag Pond,TN