Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2019, 02:15 PM   #1

Dual OTA antennas

So any downside to putting 2 OTA antennas in parallel ???
05 Dolphin #5342
Chuck Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2019, 02:21 PM   #2

Why? Can you explain your problem or what you are try to do.?
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:26 PM   #3

Not really sure where I am headed with this, just curious about areas with weak signals. And if it would improve reception.
05 Dolphin #5342
Old 06-11-2019, 02:29 PM   #4

So you are building a better antennae!

I think the are some good designs online and probably youTube videos.

Other than being bigger, I don't see a down size.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:44 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
I did this at my old house, not the rv, one pointed at the large city near me and the other pointed at another 40 miles away. It worked fine in my case as both antennas (roof mount) lead to a splitter and to a single cable feed to my LR Tv. From my experience it works well if the tv stations Transmitters are distant and in two different locations i was able to receive both cities locals.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:47 PM   #6

Thanks, think I will play with this for a while.
05 Dolphin #5342
Old 06-11-2019, 03:44 PM   #7

While on my past trip there was a campground in between some hills where I could not get any OTA signals. There were several seasonal campers there that had antennas similar to the below link. I never could catch them at home to see how it worked. It was installed on a telescoping pole at the rear of the RV attached to the ladder.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C7RGNWF..._t2_B0748KYTZN
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Q View Post

Not really any downsides, but also not necessarily any advantages. I could see that if towers are in 90 deg offset than having two antennas lets you point to two different directions and with a combiner the two antenna's might pick up more stations on one TV.

Bigger antenna's or specifically their element size determine most of the gain they receive. The old style TV antenna's found on homes roofs would for example pick up father stations than the small collapsible RV rooftop antenna's. But the RV has an advantage and that is it can be moved to be closer to a tower.

Lastly no matter how big the antenna or how many antenna's you have, you cannot amplify a signal that's not there. So don't expect any miracles in remote areas.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Q View Post

Not a bad idea. OTA signals can vary a lot from location to location. I've been in places where I get 20+ channels and the guy next to me gets none. I use a King air antenna mounted on top of my old bat wing base/stand. One caution: King Air comes with a signal booster, make sure the other one that came with the coach is not connected. When everything is connected properly a small led light is visible on the bottom of the King Air.

If the idea stems from Truckers using 2 cb/10meter antennas, where one is acting as a ground plane, it won't help because you are receiving not transmitting.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:49 AM   #10

Back in the analog days we would see ghosting from the multipath of the signal from to different sources. I don't know if there would be simply issues with a digital signal.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocamper View Post
Back in the analog days we would see ghosting from the multipath of the signal from to different sources. I don't know if there would be simply issues with a digital signal.

Digital reception will just cut out if the interference is too great. On AM/FM radio this is still relevant and is mostly caused by the same carrier wave arriving at different times from bouncing around objects taking a longer path.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:56 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
While on my past trip there was a campground in between some hills where I could not get any OTA signals. There were several seasonal campers there that had antennas similar to the below link. I never could catch them at home to see how it worked. It was installed on a telescoping pole at the rear of the RV attached to the ladder.

I have used that antenna and it worked well. A friend tried one at Imperial Dam LTVA north of Yuma and it worked very well. The ability to rotate with a remote is a real plus.

Info on stacking antennas
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:19 AM   #13

Quote:

Those are reputed to be junk. Here is a video of recommended outdoor TV antennas.

In addition to those 3, he recently tested the Antennas Direct Clearstream 2V and recommends it. Smaller than the 4V he recommends in the video, but more RV friendly.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:10 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

We have the same antenna on a telescoping pole attached to our ladder it works. Brings in channels Click image for larger version

Name:	20190614_115605.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	250323
msaffa33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna