Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2021, 05:28 PM   #1

Electronics gurus, please help - HDCP error driving me nuts

My coach has good quality but slightly older equipment on board. I hooked it all up and I'm getting a relentless HDCP error on the receiver screen. I have a Pioneer VSX-1020 receiver. The manual clearly states that it is HDCP compliant. The TV is an Insignia NS-39L240A13. Again, the manual for the TV states that its fully HDCP compliant. Also connected is a Dish Wally receiver. Dish claims that the Wally is HDCP compliant. The HDMI cables are all just a few months old and recently purchased. Most internet research I have done says it's a myth that the cables can cause this error, as there is no chip or anything in the cables that can cause the error. I'd just change out all the cables but they're so darned hard to get to, I would really like to avoid that. I'm thinking about just throwing $300+ at the issue and replace the receiver to see what it does. I'm just desperate at this point, as I am way beyind my knowledge level. Any of you electronic gurus have any thoughts on this?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2021, 06:01 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Just for clarification how are you connected? Dish to Wally, HDMI to the 1020 then HDMI to the TV. Is that correct?

Not familiar with your system so I did some research. Did not know about HDCP. It is just a protocol to prevent piracy.

My posting may help keep thread alive until an expert tune in. In the meantime It might help to explain your hookup.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:08 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
This is a brute force fix - If you put one between the source and the downstream equipment - search the review for HDCP

Hope this helps -

ViewHD 2 Port 1x2 Powered HDMI 1 in 2 Out Mini Splitter for 1080P & 3D | Model: VHD-1X2MN3D

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ustomerReviews
mike625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by greystroke View Post
Just for clarification how are you connected? Dish to Wally, HDMI to the 1020 then HDMI to the TV. Is that correct?

Not familiar with your system so I did some research. Did not know about HDCP. It is just a protocol to prevent piracy.

My posting may help keep thread alive until an expert tune in. In the meantime It might help to explain your hookup.
The receiver has one HDMI output to the TV, and 5 HDMI inputs. The Wally, the DVD player and the mini Media Center are all connected to the HDMI inputs on the Pioneer receiver. To watch one of the input devices you choose the appropriate HDMI input on the receiver and watch on the TV. Looking at the splitter that Mike625 recommends above, I'm not quite sure where to insert it into the system as described above.
Old 09-28-2021, 07:45 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
The receiver has one HDMI output to the TV, and 5 HDMI inputs. The Wally, the DVD player and the mini Media Center are all connected to the HDMI inputs on the Pioneer receiver.
Do you get the error when you connect from the sources "The Wally, DVD & mini Media Center" straight thru to the TV ?

Has this setup ever worked correctly - or it this a first time setup?
Old 09-28-2021, 07:59 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
The other thing to try -

Only plug one device in at a time "The Wally, DVD & mini Media Center" pick the one you use the most. If you find once you connect one and the error comes back - you've found a trouble maker "but could be more than one".

This is a nice little write up on HDCP error
https://www.lifewire.com/hdcp-error-3276299
Old 09-28-2021, 08:19 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
The receiver has one HDMI output to the TV, and 5 HDMI inputs. The Wally, the DVD player and the mini Media Center are all connected to the HDMI inputs on the Pioneer receiver. To watch one of the input devices you choose the appropriate HDMI input on the receiver and watch on the TV. Looking at the splitter that Mike625 recommends above, I'm not quite sure where to insert it into the system as described above.
You said the error shows up on the 1020 and not the TV..Right?

Does playing a DVD give you the same error on the 1020?

I think what mike had in mind with the splitter was input to the splitter from the wally and then 1 output to the TV and 1 output to the 1020.

Assuming an error occurs for both wally and DVD then is there anyway to do a firmware update for the 1020 by internet?
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
Old 09-28-2021, 08:32 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I downloaded a manual and in the notes on page 24 you have...

If you connect a component that is not compatible with HDCP, an HDCP ERROR message is displayed on the front
panel display. Some components that are compatible with HDCP still cause this message to be displayed, but so long
as there is no problem with displaying video this is not a malfunction.
Depending on the component you have connected, using a DVI connection may result in unreliable signal transfers.
This receiver supports SACD, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. To take advantage of
these formats, however, make sure that the component connected to this receiver also supports the corresponding
format.
2 Use a High Speed HDMI cable. If HDMI cable other than a High Speed HDMI cable is used, it may not work
properly.
When an HDMI cable with a built-in equalizer is connected, it may not operate properly.
--------------------------------------------------------------

So two things. The error is not a malfunction if video is displayed properly on the TV. and yes a high speed cable between Wally and 1020 is desired.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
Old 09-28-2021, 11:18 PM   #9

Great info guys, thanks so much. In looking at things, I have noticed a couple of things that may be an issue. First, the receiver has one output to the TV. It's an HDMI line. The TV has three HDMI inputs. Right now it's connected to the receiver via HDMI 1, which is labeled HDMI1(DVI). I don't know why it's labeled that way. Could that have sonething to do with the error message? I notice that when I select the input using the remote, it comes up as "IDMI1" on the screen. I don't know what that means.

Also, the blueray player that I have hooked up is an old unit, I would guess around 2008 vintage. I wonder if that could be a source of the issue as well?
Old 09-29-2021, 07:50 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Right now it's connected to the receiver via HDMI 1, which is labeled HDMI1(DVI). I don't know why it's labeled that way. Could that have sonething to do with the error message?
That just that you can use a DVI to HDMI cable & separate audio cable.
Old 09-29-2021, 07:52 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Do you have a picture on your TV?
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors