Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2010, 03:10 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Question Error on Tuner msg during DTV/KVH setup

We are new to DirecTV, always had cable, but since we have a KVH R5 dome on the motorhome, we decided to switch. We've run into many problems trying to get it all to come together.

1. DirecTV guy tried to get it working but couldn't. KVH said we needed a stronger power supply. Had that installed by RV dealer.

2. After reading many helpful posts here, we managed to get the DirecTV box set for the 18" round dish, the dish was searching, things were looking good... for awhile.

Then we got a Satellite Dish Setup error: it said "Errors Found on Tuner" and under a column heading of 101, it listed Odd (13v) and Even (18v) and both had a red box with "X".

We checked the Dish Pointing and our zip was okay, under Satellite Transponders - Testing Reception, all numbers were very high 80's or low 90's, Signal Meter said 90%.

We're not sure what to do next. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Mary & Dennis
lukidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2010, 10:24 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
where are you located and can you call me Tuesday sometime? 405-923-1489 i've worked for DirecTV for 5 years and of that 5 about 4.5 of them were either as a regional manager or installing setups on RVs. The way it is sounding is that you need to do a hard reset on your box, especially if everything was working before... to do this, open the little door on your far left side, push and hold that small red button, my fingers are big so I use the eraser on a pencil. Make sure your signal is good, tv is on, box is on... then push and hold the little red button and count to 10 nicely. let it go and let your box boot up. this could take some time, ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE A DVR.. i hated resetting those! Anyway, once it has booted back up, go check out your signal strength again and everything should be up and working.

the area where you enter your zip code does nothing for the box, never has, never will. all that does is help the installers to find the degrees to tune in the dish. you could use an LA zip code in Maine and it wouldn't make a lick of difference.

13v covers all of you "odd" transponders, and 18v (volts) covers all your "even" transponders. Transponders work together to give you your broadcasting picture. Its more complicated, but that is what that means.

If after doing that hard reset it still does not work, please let me know, I like a good challenge every now and then. I wish I was more mobile or people were atleast closer I'd have them just bring it by the shop!

anyway, give me a call if need be 405-923-1489 its my cell, have it all day, no answer, leave a VM seems everytime i tell someone to call, someone else calls first and ties up the line, so just leave a VM and I'll call you back VM will come up as Niemann Enterprises. I'm in Oklahoma City, Central time and I'm up and "awake" at 9 or earlier so whenever works.

Good Luck, hope I was of some help!
ChrisNiemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:05 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Thanks Chris for that helpful information. We actually did get the box working yesterday but I have a couple questions on whether our procedure was correct.

We use a D12 box that we take from the house. In the motorhome, to get it to recognize the KVH dish, we (1) turn on the TV, (2) turn on the D12 box and hit the red Reset button while the KVH is still turned OFF, we go to setup, change to Multi-switch, then that lets us choose the 18" round dish. After that it goes to a searching for satellite screen and then we turn on the KVH.

The dish moves, everything seems to be working okay, but then a "Satellite Dish Setup - Installation Status" screen comes up and it says "Errors found on Tuner - Check Installation and Retest" This is where the two Red Boxes with X's in them appear next to "Odd (13v) and Even (18v). They're bold boxes, you can't miss them. Our DirecTV guy told us to just ignore that and hit "continue" which we did, and when we tried it yesterday, the Guide Data screen appeared and after a minute, the progress bar started going from 0 to 100. After that, we had great TV reception!! YEA!! If I remember correctly, the previous day, the progress bar just sat there and nothing happened.

So I'm just wondering about those two red boxes and the Error Found on Tuner message. Is that nothing to be concerned about? Also, what do you recommend if the Guide Data screen just freezes up and never brings in the channels, which is what I believe happened to us on the previous day.

Thanks for you help - we really appreciate it. We're in NH and it's just 8 a.m. Eastern time here so I won't bother you on the phone, but thanks for the offer. It was 41 degrees this morning. Brrr. Almost time to head to your part of the country, which is what we'll be doing in about 6 weeks.

Mary (lukidog)
Old 09-21-2010, 01:24 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well come on over... LOL 6 weeks i'll still be up in Nebraska helping dad with harvest again this year. Driving home last year in a blizzard with a 2 month old (to us) RV wasn't enough to keep me away, so back I go!

Anyway, what I think is happening is this:

D12 boxes were for some stupid reason, not equiped with the proper hookups for self searching satellites on RV's. The D11's had a small AUX Phone hookup in the back (not to be confused with the actual phone line hookup) anyway, that AUX hookup is what helped fine tune the dish to the EXACT location it was needing to give you the best signal. The new boxes try and talk to the dish using the same cable that it is trying to receive and send signal on... well just like a large banquet and too many people talking, you can't always here the person you are wanting to hear and a communication error occurs, that is where you get the tuner error. If you ignore it and the box just freezes, shut off your satellite dish, hit the red button again (make sure you hold it, don't just press it, it does two different types of reboots) once it is up and going, start your dish up again. This doesn't happen to everyone, a lot of what you are dealing with has to do with:

1. length of cable from box to sat
2. number of bends and sharp bends in the cable
3. age of cable
4. type of cable, in small grey print you should see either RG5.9 or RG6, 6 is the newer and better cable with a better sheild, 5.9 is the old stuff they used on old antennas after they did away with the 2 wire UHF antennas.
5. type of connectors on the ends, if you have the old "crimped" fittings, they don't hold as well and allow more interference, you should have the new "compression" fittings.

the fitting on the left is what is best, the one on the right is even worse than the crimp fittings, the one on the right is a "screw on" type they are horrible!!!

anyway, if you need new fittings, let me know, i could mail some to you or you can pick up a kit at Lowe's that has the stripper, compressor tool, and like 20 fittings all in a nice kit, easy to follow instructions and nothing to it at all, if you would like a video tutorial, let me know, i can put one together for you and upload it to youtube...

last but not least, take your "dome" off (about 20 little screws) and make sure that your dome is staying sealed and that there is no moisture on the circuit board up top and no moisture on your LNB (the eye) normal dish's have that plastic sealed cover over the eye, however dome dish's don't, if it needs to be resealed, i have always used the RV Tape... Butyl tape i think its called.... the crap you put around your vents and what nots.... lol loss of mind today!

hope that helps you out a bit! feel free to contact me anytime about anything, email and phone (or text) will be best after the first of october cause i'll be busy on the tractor or grain truck, email i can reply at night when i get in and text i can reply just about any time!

good luck, safe travels, where you headed to this way?

Chris
niemannenterprises@hotmail.com
405-923-1489 leave message or TEXT
Old 09-22-2010, 05:06 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Chris, this is awesome information! I printed it out and we'll put it in the motorhome so we'll have it for future reference.

IRV2 is now my favorite RV forum! There is so much help here for someone just starting out in the RV adventure. Thanks again for the help.

Mary & Dennis
Old 09-23-2010, 12:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukidog View Post
Thanks Chris for that helpful information. We actually did get the box working yesterday but I have a couple questions on whether our procedure was correct.

We use a D12 box that we take from the house. In the motorhome, to get it to recognize the KVH dish, we (1) turn on the TV, (2) turn on the D12 box and hit the red Reset button while the KVH is still turned OFF, we go to setup, change to Multi-switch, then that lets us choose the 18" round dish. After that it goes to a searching for satellite screen and then we turn on the KVH.

The dish moves, everything seems to be working okay, but then a "Satellite Dish Setup - Installation Status" screen comes up and it says "Errors found on Tuner - Check Installation and Retest" This is where the two Red Boxes with X's in them appear next to "Odd (13v) and Even (18v). They're bold boxes, you can't miss them. Our DirecTV guy told us to just ignore that and hit "continue" which we did, and when we tried it yesterday, the Guide Data screen appeared and after a minute, the progress bar started going from 0 to 100. After that, we had great TV reception!! YEA!! If I remember correctly, the previous day, the progress bar just sat there and nothing happened.

So I'm just wondering about those two red boxes and the Error Found on Tuner message. Is that nothing to be concerned about? Also, what do you recommend if the Guide Data screen just freezes up and never brings in the channels, which is what I believe happened to us on the previous day.

Thanks for you help - we really appreciate it. We're in NH and it's just 8 a.m. Eastern time here so I won't bother you on the phone, but thanks for the offer. It was 41 degrees this morning. Brrr. Almost time to head to your part of the country, which is what we'll be doing in about 6 weeks.

Mary (lukidog)
We had the same problem with the red X boxes and were also told to ignore them and go to continue. Been doing that ever since and no problems.