Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2019, 12:28 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
ESP8266 based shunt

I’ve been given some though to adding a solar capability to my 2018 Newmar MADP. After doing a bit of reading I decided that I first need to add a battery monitoring system (BMS) so that I have a better idea of my current battery usage. This will help me in sizing the solar capability.

I’ve looked at various BMS hardware to include the Victron BMV-712.

What I would like is a capability that will record my battery usage over time instead of just having a snapshot. It looks like I could augment the BMV-712 with additional products so that the usage info is sent to Victron servers where I could then access it.

I’ve already built a smart home capability into my MH by accessing both status and commands on the RV-C network. This has provided me with great capabilities and what I really want is to pull in the battery status information into my smart home app so that I can manipulate it as I see fit. (graphs, alerts, etc).

To that end, I’m looking at installing a shunt and connecting an ESP8266 to the shunt to capture the voltage and current data every 5 seconds or so. This would then be send to my smart home server. Most of the shunts that I’ve looked at seem to be 500A / 50 mV, which as I understand, the 50mV equals a draw of 500A and I would get proportionally smaller values based on smaller loads. Given that the voltage reading capability of the ESP8266 is capability of 0 - 1V using values from 1 to 1024, it would appear that having a maximum voltage of 50 mV would only be using 1/20th of the capability and thus only providing me with readings of 1 to 51. This equates to a resolution of 9.7 amps (500A / 51), which is a non-starter.

I’m wondering if there are shunts that will provide more voltage on the reference screws. Something as good as 500 A / 1000 mV, or even 500A/500mV? Additionally, I’m looking at using something like Adafruit’s 16 bit ADC which would provide me with a resolution of 1 to 655 (using 1/100 of the 5V input range) with the 500A/50mA shunt. This would be better, but would still only be using a fraction of the input sensing capability.

Any thoughts on how to best tackle this would be appreciated. Either a BMS with an open architecture where I can access the raw values, or a more ideal shunt or analog to digital converter (ADC).
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2019, 04:50 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy013 View Post
I’ve been given some though to adding a solar capability to my 2018 Newmar MADP. After doing a bit of reading I decided that I first need to add a battery monitoring system (BMS) so that I have a better idea of my current battery usage. This will help me in sizing the solar capability.

I’ve looked at various BMS hardware to include the Victron BMV-712.

What I would like is a capability that will record my battery usage over time instead of just having a snapshot. It looks like I could augment the BMV-712 with additional products so that the usage info is sent to Victron servers where I could then access it.

I’ve already built a smart home capability into my MH by accessing both status and commands on the RV-C network. This has provided me with great capabilities and what I really want is to pull in the battery status information into my smart home app so that I can manipulate it as I see fit. (graphs, alerts, etc).

To that end, I’m looking at installing a shunt and connecting an ESP8266 to the shunt to capture the voltage and current data every 5 seconds or so. This would then be send to my smart home server. Most of the shunts that I’ve looked at seem to be 500A / 50 mV, which as I understand, the 50mV equals a draw of 500A and I would get proportionally smaller values based on smaller loads. Given that the voltage reading capability of the ESP8266 is capability of 0 - 1V using values from 1 to 1024, it would appear that having a maximum voltage of 50 mV would only be using 1/20th of the capability and thus only providing me with readings of 1 to 51. This equates to a resolution of 9.7 amps (500A / 51), which is a non-starter.

I’m wondering if there are shunts that will provide more voltage on the reference screws. Something as good as 500 A / 1000 mV, or even 500A/500mV? Additionally, I’m looking at using something like Adafruit’s 16 bit ADC which would provide me with a resolution of 1 to 655 (using 1/100 of the 5V input range) with the 500A/50mA shunt. This would be better, but would still only be using a fraction of the input sensing capability.

Any thoughts on how to best tackle this would be appreciated. Either a BMS with an open architecture where I can access the raw values, or a more ideal shunt or analog to digital converter (ADC).

I think a higher resolution adc is your solution.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:56 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Well I found that Victron has a fairly open protocol and there are many open source libraries to allow one to connect Arduinos and Raspberry Pis.

I have ordered the BMV-712 and plan on connecting it to my smart home server so I can manage the data there.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy013 View Post
Well I found that Victron has a fairly open protocol and there are many open source libraries to allow one to connect Arduinos and Raspberry Pis.

I have ordered the BMV-712 and plan on connecting it to my smart home server so I can manage the data there.
I use Arduino Nano’s to display data from my Victron solar controllers.