Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2021, 01:44 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
External antenna for Garmin GPS ??

Have an old 4 inch Nuvi with external antenna as the Nuvi sits way back from the windshield on a sliding shelf in the dash....so both myself and the Navigator can see it. Windshield (where the antenna sits) and shelf are 3 feet apart. Works great.

Wanted to upgrade to the Garmin 1090 but apparently there is no 3 foot antenna. Garmin says only mount with a clear unobstructed view of the sky, meaning close to the windshield. Can't do it....won't do it.

Do we have any alternatives ? Surely others are in the same boat ??

TIA
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2021, 02:23 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
Have an old 4 inch Nuvi with external antenna as the Nuvi sits way back from the windshield on a sliding shelf in the dash....so both myself and the Navigator can see it. Windshield (where the antenna sits) and shelf are 3 feet apart. Works great.

Wanted to upgrade to the Garmin 1090 but apparently there is no 3 foot antenna. Garmin says only mount with a clear unobstructed view of the sky, meaning close to the windshield. Can't do it....won't do it.

Do we have any alternatives ? Surely others are in the same boat ??

TIA
So let me ask. Do you not have a clear unobstructed view of the sky through your windshield? My GPS sits on the dash or is stuck to the drivers window. I have never had a problem, and I run 2 GPS. One is my truckers GPS, the other a Garmin which is the only one I have found that can load Mexican maps on it. The GPS can work on as few as 3 satellites, but may monitor as many as 8. Yes, when you can monitor 8 you probably will get a little more accuracy than with 3. But do you really need 3 feet vs 50 feet in accuracy? Put you GPS where you want it and enjoy. You'll probably have more trouble with your GPS sending you on a goofy route than you will having it locate your exact location.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 03:30 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
a&a......yes, gps can sit forward on the dash with a clear view of the sky. Problem is, I can't see it....or reach 3 feet to put in info. DW as navigator wants to see it close up, as I do. Do you think the sat signal can penetrate the roof ?
Old 09-15-2021, 03:46 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Unless you have a metal roof you should be fine. To test it, move your external antenna to where you plan to mount the new unit. If your Nuvi operates with the antenna there, the new unit will be even better because the receivers are better today than they were when the Nuvi came out.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 03:52 PM   #5

Buy the gps from a store that takes returns for cash and test your location.
Old 09-16-2021, 08:26 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ready to buy from Amazon. Was assured in writing it is returnable if no workee. Another question: I am 81 and a social media dunce. No smartphone, no anything. I have a flip phone and can barely navigate that.

Don't think I need bluethooth or smartphone to work the 1090. I want to turn on....punch in an address and press GO. Sound right ? TIA
Old 09-16-2021, 08:49 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have never had an issue with a GPS finding the satilites, even in my house with the old Reynolds aluminium faced insulation. It takes longer for the GPS to find the satilites. But it works in the house.. Try it, I think it will work. It might take a minute or two to sync with 3.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 09:16 AM   #8

I don't know what kind of motorhome you have, but in my class C I have an old Garmin LM50 mounted high on the windshield, so it's very close to me. It's right next to the back-up camera screen, which is where a rear view mirror would be.

It's easy to read, and easy to input, though I usually pull it off the mount to input an address.

I initially thought I might have a problem because of the "shade" of the cabover, but I've never lost the satellite conecction. If I had mounted it down on the dash or low on the windshield, it would be hard to see and access. Also would obstruct my view of the road.
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 11:32 AM   #9

Don't think I need bluethooth or smartphone to work the 1090. I want to turn on....punch in an address and press GO. Sound right ?

You do not need bluetooth or a smartphone for any GPS.
Old 09-29-2021, 01:44 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Got the 1090 couple of days ago. It works fine without connecting to WiFi and without going to Garmin Express to register. I did register it via email to C.Service. Can't download maps or updates....but we stay in OR or CA and only venture out 5-6x a year. Thanks for your help.

Tags
antenna, gps