Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2021, 08:19 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
For those with Dish at home and on the road

I could you some help understanding my options. We currently have Dish outdoors and it has worked great for us. We recently bought a RV lot with a small house and I wonder what I can do to have Dish in the house and while on the road.

Since we currently have Dish outdoors would it make sense to cancel or pause that and get Dish for the house? Seems I remember people who have it at home simply take a receiver from the house and put it in the coach when they take a trip. If this is possible, I have a few questions.

1. Will both the traveler on the roof and the portable dish work the same as it always has, meaning, let it lock on to the satellites once plugged into the receiver we bring on the road?
2. Will we always get the local channels that we get at the house even though we are on the road?

Any help or thoughts on this from those who have been in the same boat I would appreciate.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2021, 06:22 AM   #2

Scott, lots of folks move their receivers from the house to the RV. All you need to do is go on line and get the PROPER dish and Mount it at the house. Once you move outside the spot beam for the house you will loose locals. You can change the service address with Dish to get locals as you move about. We did this for years with no problem. No need to change your current service. As a matter of fact, it’s best to keep what you have. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 06:39 AM   #3

I have Dish outdoors and bought a 3 LNB fixed dish for the house.

I have 2 wallys one for RV and one for house. We snowbird so I turn the one I'm not using off.

When I change locals thru the app, ( Can't with home plan ), both wallys are switched, but the one not near me does not get locals.

The locals are based on my smart phone location.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 06:32 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I bought a Wally receiver and Tailgater to solve these issues.
No need to remove my Hopper back and forth now. $7 a month add on.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 07:26 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have Dish at home with a Hopper 3. My locals at home are via an OTA antenna that is connected to the Hopper. In the RV I have 2 wally receivers and a Winegrad Travler antenna. When we travel I activate the Wally receivers and add local channels to my programming. With this approach I:

- can receive local channels at the RV location as we travel along with the rest of the programmin I have at home. You do have to call Dish as you move around and provide the zip code of your new location and have them reset your locals to that zip code.

- Use the Dish Anywhere APP (assuming we have acceptable internet service). Using the App I can connect to the Hopper at home and watch the home locals from the OTA antenna, and watch any recorded shows that are on the Hopper. I access the Dish Anywhere App via a Firestick attached to the TV.

- have the same programming on the road as at home.

When we return home I remove the locals from my programming and deactivate the wally receivers. This can all be done through your account access on the Web.

So when on the road it cost $7/mo each to have the wally's active and I think it's $12 / mo for local programming.
Just George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 06:25 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks to everyone for the replies. Seems like it will be easier than I thought. I would like to mount a dish on the side of our house like other houses but not sure how hard it would be to manually lock it in on the satellites. Without buying an expensive tool that guides you to the satellites, looks like it could be a tough task. Anyone have experience with this?
Old 09-17-2021, 08:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
Thanks to everyone for the replies. Seems like it will be easier than I thought. I would like to mount a dish on the side of our house like other houses but not sure how hard it would be to manually lock it in on the satellites. Without buying an expensive tool that guides you to the satellites, looks like it could be a tough task. Anyone have experience with this?
I just set up a dish on a pole a week ago and it took about 20 minutes. You must make sure the mount is level and get the azimuth and skew set on the dish in advance. You can adjust the pointing direction once mounted on the pole and fine tune using the receiver signal strength. Winegard makes an app that will show you where the sats are in the sky.
Old 09-17-2021, 08:40 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
No expensive tool. You can look up the settings for skew for your location ( there are marks on the dish itself to set ) and look at the neighbors dish for an idea of where to point. Leave the tuner on its settings for signal strength and use small movements to “dial in a strong signal” it will take a few minutes maybe but it’s not hard.
If you travel a lot I’d just stay with the outdoor account. All you’ll add or subtract is the additional 7.00 tuner. With outdoor account you can do most of that online with no cs interaction. You can even save 12 bucks a month additional while at “home” if you can get locals over the air but you will need another over the air antenna and the dongle that integrates it into the dish tuner via usb so you can record Ota.
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 10:48 AM   #9

I have been taking my Dish receiver from house to RV for about 3 years now. It works good for us I have the 722 dual receiver and it controls both TV's in the coach. As for the local channels as long as we stay around 200 mile from our residence our locals stay the same... once we go father out I simply call Dish give them my current address and 10 minutes I'm getting locals from closest city.
mlh2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 02:40 PM   #10

My dish is mounted to a board, sitting on cement blocks, out on my dock.

It was easy to aim as long as I miss the trees across the river.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:41 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
I have 3 receivers (Hooper2) at 3 different locations.
Home (S&B)
Vacation Home
RV (Wireless Joey in the bedroom, can be moved to outside TV)

We pay an extra 17 per month for the 2 extra receivers and can then record and have shows available when we get home. we could certainly turn off the receiver at our vacation home or home or both when on the road but for a little more we just keep it going.

Since we have a home system locals need to be changed via a call or chat, which is preferred and typically channels are changed within a few minutes
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:39 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks again for the replies and suggestions. I am going to actually switch to a home account and have a question. The install company said that when I go on the road in the rv, since I will then have a home based system, I will have to call (or chat as the previous poster suggested) instead of using the app. This does not bother me but I do want to make sure there isn't a limit on how many times a year I can change the locals. I ran into a problem with Hulu years ago that they only allowed 3 changes per year (I think) and don't want that to be an issue.

Can you folks confirm or deny that there is not limit to change the locals?
Old 09-19-2021, 08:56 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
We dumped Dish about 4-yrs ago but I can confirm that calling to change address was always an exercise in frustration. It seemed that the first representative I got on the phone never was able to comprehend what I was wanting to do but it took them too much time to hand me over to a higher level rep. Once they did the second representative could easily make the change.

Changing via the app would be highly preferred.
Old 09-19-2021, 08:58 AM   #14

I’ve never had any problems changing locals or with the number of times. Chuck

Tags
dish, hose