Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2007, 03:54 AM   #1

Is it just me or did CA really mess up this itteration? eTrust EZ was non-intrussive, wasn't a system hog, and it 'seemed' to understand what the user was doing so it didn't scan EVERYTHING, EVERY TIME. And the logs it produces, the tons and tons of logs, don't say anything useful. So in MHO this new one is a mess and I've just about pegged my fun meter with it...

What's y'all experience been? Maybe I've got something set wrong, but I don't think so!

I seriously thinking of ejecting it from my system and falling back to the WinXP firewall, the Google pop-up blocker, then using one of the free AV products like Grisoft.

My web surfing and general internet habits are simple... banking, occassional shopping, news and so forth, plus eMail... NOTHING fancy!

Thoughts?

2006 Arctic Fox (SFE) 29-5E 5th Wheel
Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2007, 03:54 AM   #2

Is it just me or did CA really mess up this itteration? eTrust EZ was non-intrussive, wasn't a system hog, and it 'seemed' to understand what the user was doing so it didn't scan EVERYTHING, EVERY TIME. And the logs it produces, the tons and tons of logs, don't say anything useful. So in MHO this new one is a mess and I've just about pegged my fun meter with it...

What's y'all experience been? Maybe I've got something set wrong, but I don't think so!

I seriously thinking of ejecting it from my system and falling back to the WinXP firewall, the Google pop-up blocker, then using one of the free AV products like Grisoft.

My web surfing and general internet habits are simple... banking, occassional shopping, news and so forth, plus eMail... NOTHING fancy!

Thoughts?

Old 11-23-2007, 07:46 AM   #3

Nevermind... Got it done.

As far as I can tell the intital installation was totally corrupted. Couldn't uninstall it, couldn't fix it, couldn't do anything with it.

And man oh man, what a pain uninstalling it was. Tried to get a new copy of the executables for the Internet Security Suite from CA. Couldn't... Their automated system kept telling me I was already registered and had a copy! Maddening, especially considering what a lousy program it is... Anything that screwed up should have an EASY way to do an uninstall. But it didn't, had to have a friend of mine download a copy under his name, then give me the copy...

Then I had to overwrite the initial installation with the new installation.

That took about two hours to get right. Then I tried to uninstall it... It balked and I wound up having to uninstall one component at a time... (Anti-Spyware, then Anti-Spam, then Anti-Virus, then the firewall), and it took FOREVER. A person with no patience couldn't do it. Using ADD/REMOVE programs gets you a screen saying it's uninstalling, but it doesn't DO ANYTHING for over a half an hour. Then it suddenly wakes up and does the uninstall. It was the same way for every component... IT'S JUST A LOUSY PIECE OF SOFTWARE...

Anyway, after over a half a days work it's OFF MY SYSTEM, my system's working perfect again, and there will NEVER, EVER be anything from CA on my system again.

I learned my lesson...

Old 11-23-2007, 09:01 AM   #4

If you don't have it already here is a link to the Grisoft website where you can pick up the free version of AVG. There is a paid version available as well if you are so inclined but it should not be necessary.
AVG
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 12:05 PM   #5

Bill,

Once I made up my mind to get rid of CA I downloaded a copy of Free AVG in response to another of your posts.

Thanks for the info. It installed, and runs, like a charm.

Old 11-23-2007, 12:48 PM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I downloaded a copy of Free AVG in response to another of your posts.

Thanks for the info. It installed, and runs, like a charm. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use the free AVG, and it's far better than all the Norton stuff I had.

Norton's gone.
Computer runs better.
I'm happier.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 03:03 PM   #7

I have been using AVG for years (maybe since 2002 when we got our Datastorm) and I have never had a moments problems. I have only done something stupid twice and AVG picked up the problem right away and saved me from myself.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:06 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Like Bill said, AVG is a great Anti-Virus. I have had both the paid and free and I can't tell the difference,Its that good!
If you would like a cocktail of free programs that work well together,Try these. AVG free, Ad-Aware 2007, Spybot S&G, Zone Alarm firewall, And they will work with each other and not conflict each other. I have been using this for quite awhile now with great success. All have versions that are windows XP and Vista Compatible! One other thing I do run is the monthly Malicious software removal tool put out by Microsoft once a month. Those of you that have Vista don't see this as it is done automatically in the background. As long as there is nothing wrong you wouldn't even know it was there. For those of us using XP it is a download and it comes out every month on the 11th. You may also download it and do a scan if there is any problems and you need the help! There are I beleave paid versions of these programs and you can go whatever way you want.For the free versions a couple of them have to be updated manually, I got around part of this by joining C-Net. It sends a e-mail when there are program updates and you can set-up for virus updates as well, All free!! I love Free!!
Merry Christmas and a great New Year!!!
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote