Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2010, 12:26 PM   #1

forgot to lower tv antenna

I forgot to lower my winegard sensor antenna prior to traveling. It will not crank up nor can it be raised manually via the roof. It is just lying flat on the roof. Surely, some members must have experienced this dilemma. If so, would appreciate some help on how to restore its function.
rampage is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2010, 01:35 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
A lot of sites sell replacement parts since this is pretty common.

A hint I got from someone here: Hang your ignition key from the winder when you put it up. I do that all the time.
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:47 PM   #3

Thanks. I'm now aware that I must do something like you suggest. However, I wonder if someone out there may know if this can be fixed without any new parts. For example, removing the two pins holding the antenna in place and putting it in the up position.
rampage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:53 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like you need it up now. Chances are you can pull it up from the outside and if so, tie wrap the two tubes together and it'll stay up. I'd bet you can still rotate it from inside
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:15 PM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yep! I have a key ring that is just big enough to slide over that handle. It goes up there whether I put the antenna up or down.

Sounds like something got bent. I have seen parts in some campgrounds, but most likely you will need a trip to an RV dealer or store.

Good luck.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:48 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Well ours want go up now cause the wife decided to help getting ready to pull out and didn't line up arrows it came down but want go up?
DBOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:58 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You likely stripped the gears.. As others have said. Easy fix. any RV store has the parts.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:23 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
A couple of new parts($20) and about 20 minutes. Don't ask how I know this. If you are already camping I think you can just go up on the coach and pull the stripped gear and shaft then use a bunge cord to hold it up.
Texun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:52 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
You likely stripped the gears.. As others have said. Easy fix. any RV store has the parts.
Fix the problem forever. Rip that phony-baloney batwing off the roof and get an inexpensive, proven, time tested replacement.

Buy (or go to the dump) and install a wire coat hanger!

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:40 PM   #10

On my old rig that happened and I took it apart and put it back together and it worked. No sure what I did but it worked. Next time I did it ( must of been someone else driving) I had to get parts from a RV Store.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:41 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Many times I get decent off the air reception with the bat wing laying flat
Old 08-24-2010, 09:11 PM   #12

Just to add to the list of people who have driven with the antenna up. I drove from Banff to Jasper in Alberta CA. it is about 180 miles and 70 mph. When I got to the campground the owner asked if I always drove with it up? Heres your sign. It still worked perfectly as new.
Essex-Spensive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:32 AM   #13

I have a clothspin that goes on the steering wheel when the antenna goes up and back on the crank when it comes down. I also have one for the coffee pot and printer.When all the pins are off the wheel it is good to go.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:01 AM   #14

I drove out of the campground with the antenna up on the 5'er I was towing. Wondered why I noticed the overhead electric line swaying in the side mirror. Campground lady chased me down carrying my batwing head and none too pleased. What was she upset about? Her wire was fine. My antenna was not. The arm still cranked up and down fine minus the head. Since I broke the mount points off the head, I had to buy a new one.