Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2013, 03:33 PM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
From KVH tracvision to Wingard Trav'ler??

Has anyone made this switch, and if so is it a DIY type of project? Any tips, procedure help, ideas? or do i need to take it to a sat shop, we have one of the best just up the road, but I suspect they get paid for thier work....lol

I don't need the HD capabilities, but may switch in the future. I am just tired of fighting the KVH dome, it seems like it takes forever to pick a sat, is very finicky and kind of a PITA. It is an 05 system, so maybe it just needs an update/upgrade. But if I upgrade to a newer dome I suspect that is about the same price as just going with the travler, and I would be set for HD if I decided to go that route. We don't full time so justifing the cost is rough, but justifing the coach is too and we aint getting rid of it...lol

thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2013, 03:36 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What model is your kvh? You can now get the updates free for most models and do the upgrade yourself. It fixes most of my problems.
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:41 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I made the switch when one of the boards went out for the 2nd time in the KVH. I had the sat guy do the change over. Took him about 2 hours total. Cost with Trav'ler just under $1600.00.

I went with DISH and the 725 DVR.

Have not run the HDMI cable yet for HD. Will do that when I replace the current TV.

So much quicker now in finding DISH's 3 satellites. Push one button and the Trav'ler does the rest. Much better reception too with the bigger dish. No drop out in the rain so far.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:26 PM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
Not sure what model number, where is that listed? It was installed by Newmar in 04/05 when the coach was built.

where can i find the model without getting on top, and where could I get the free upgrades?
Old 01-01-2013, 06:30 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You may be able to use the software to find the model, but most likely you will have to read the label on the dish itself.

You will need a laptop with a serial connection (or usb to serial) and a DB9 serial cable to upgrade.

The software is found here:

KVH Flash Update Wizard
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:13 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
I have a 2006 yr model R4 KVH which at the time was the fairly new model from KVH. R4 Stationary and R5 In-Motion. My KVH continues to work perfectly after a software upgrade in about 2008 which was required because of some changes made by Dish Net. I do not get HD with my model. KVH R4 & R5 can be upgraded for HD Dish Net service, don't know about Direct service. However, KVH SN's below something like 0605xxxxx require a hardware part replacement, apx. $500 plus the software upgrade. The 0605xxxx SN's and above started in 2006. My SN needed the $500 part and I felt it wasn't worth it since I also use a portable HD Dish satellite most of the time.

Since your model is a 2005 if it came with the MH, most likely you'll need the $ part plus the software upgrade. Call KVH to verify. If my KVH were to break, and it will, I will not repair it or replace it with any current Dome type on the market today. I would go with the Winegard Traveler. The reason is, I want an LNB for each satellite as I don't care for the satellite dish having to seek a differen't satellite when I change channels. No big deal, just a prefference.
I think a current software upgrade alone may help eliminate most of your current frustrations but if you do it yourself you'll need cables and a laptop as mentioned and software info. KVH used to help you with this for fun and free. No more.

If you can swing it go HD, you'll love it. That Mountain Aire deserves it.

Pat
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:14 PM   #7

Looking to get the new Trav Ler for my new Itasca 27N Had the KVH on my last motorhome and liked the appearance of the dome and the no worry about it being left up. However sounds like the Trav Ler is the way to go to be set for the future of Satellite TV and any changes that come.

Gary
DmcGman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:31 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thought this might be of some interest to the OP. I have no interest in the company. Just searching for information because I want to dump my kvh also.

4 minute installation video.
Larry and Suzette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #9

I bought the large mounting plate from Winegard to put on the roof first, sealed it all down real good, then the Travler mounts to it with pre-drilled holes. It made a nice and secure mounting.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:39 PM   #10

Hold off on the traveler for a bit. I have been struggling for over a month to get mine fixed. Still waiting to see how Winegard handles this problem
Old 06-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Hold off on the traveler for a bit. I have been struggling for over a month to get mine fixed. Still waiting to see how Winegard handles this problem
What exactly is wrong with it? I had a bent dish and/or arm on mine. Once replaced, which they did rather quickly, the system works perfectly.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:59 PM   #12

I am guessing with every product you have issues. I to have an old KVH Dome that doe snot work very well. I am currently going through replacing my old CRT TV's. I read someone had to pay $500 for a part on the R4/R5 TracVision (2005-2006 Models) and a software upgrade.

Makes more sense to upgrade the SAT and get HD at that cost. Are there any other solutions to SAT Dishes/Domes?