Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2021, 08:43 PM   #1

Furrion Rear View Camera not Working

Hi folks..I have a 26 ft 2018 Jayco Eagle HT FW mated to a 2008 GMC 2500 Duramax truck. My Furrion rear view camera works great on it. Factory power source are the trailer lights. I have since purchased a new 2021 GMC 2500 Duramax truck, and pulling the same trailer. When I connected the camera with the new truck, my monitor in the truck shows “no source”. Can’t figure out why. Everything is connected the same as with the 2008 truck..any ideas?
Whammon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2021, 10:38 AM   #2

Are the trailer lights coming on?
Old 03-22-2021, 01:23 PM   #3

Yes there is power to both the camera and monitor. Both are set up same distance apart as was on the 2008 truck
Old 03-23-2021, 08:43 AM   #4

FYI..got the answer I was looking for. Called Furrion..this is a known issue with 2021 GMC trucks. The new trucks are sending a modified 12v supply to the lights on the trailer. If the camera gets it power from the trailer lights, theres not enough amperage to operate the camera. The monitor will continue to show no signal. Furrion engineers are working on a fix. No timeline as yet. Customers will need to get on an email list with Furrion to be notified once a workaround has been engineered.
Old 07-23-2021, 06:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammon2 View Post
FYI..got the answer I was looking for. Called Furrion..this is a known issue with 2021 GMC trucks. The new trucks are sending a modified 12v supply to the lights on the trailer. If the camera gets it power from the trailer lights, theres not enough amperage to operate the camera. The monitor will continue to show no signal. Furrion engineers are working on a fix. No timeline as yet. Customers will need to get on an email list with Furrion to be notified once a workaround has been engineered.
Were you ever able to make your camera system work? I ask because yesterday I had the nasty surprise of finding out my vision S system doesn't work with my brand new 2021 Sierra 1500. E-trailer is selling two different adapters from Furrion that are supposed to solve the problem. But...both have notes that say "won't work with 2021 vehicles". Their user reviews indicate good results with 2019 and 2020 Silverados and Sierras, and I would have guessed my 2021 would be the same?

The solutions that have me rewire the cameras or tinker with the truck wiring are non-starters for me. I love the idea of the plug in adapters and can't grasp why they would work on a 19 or 20 but not a 21?
DRAGN83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 07:58 AM   #6

Going to follow this thread.

I still for the life of me cannot understand why the trailer manufacturers do not grab power from the 12 volt pin off the 7-pin connector as opposed to trailer light circuit. GM makes a large part of the tow vehicles in the US, and they have had automatic light circuits but over 20 years. Having to bypass that system to use a rear view camera function seems counter to good sense.

The best method might have been to use the 12 volt battery onboard the travel trailer.

Either of the two methods I would have chosen if I was designing the rear view camera circuit would have avoided the issues of GM using a pulse voltage to the taillights that is not compatible with the camera. Of course, who would have ever thought GM would choose such an odd technology?

Tags
camera, rear