Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2016, 06:21 PM   #1

Garmin Dash Cam 20 and Mac Computer

I was really excited to get my Garmin Dash Cam 20 for Christmas. We are leaving in a few days for a 2 1/2 month trip to Florida and I thought I could import the video into iMovie to add to the videos I want to make about our trip. I love making videos but I am not really tech savvy when it comes to more complicated tasks. Does anyone have an easy solution to converting the avi fies from Garmin to a format that iMovie will accept. As a side note, so far I am not impressed with the quality of the video. This was not a cheap dash cam and I expected more. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
mrebele is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2016, 06:57 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I've not tried it, and am not a Mac person, but take a look at the free version of this:
https://www.macxdvd.com/mac-dvd-vide...-to-imovie.htm

It appears that your Garmin records in AVI format, and this should convert it.

Also, here's an article that mentions using VLC Media Player to view AVI files on your Mac. I have used this, and it's free. You may need to add a codec to it, if it won't play them initially, but just google "AVI Codec for VLC on a Mac", and you should find a free one.

https://dashcamtalk.com/garmin-dash-..._Files_and_Mac

Hope this helps.
RCCFleetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 07:17 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Garmin Dash Cam 20 and Mac Computer

I know Garmin has an app to view the videos, but you probably already know about that.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:34 PM   #4

I have tried a few of the video converters and the easiet was iskysoft but with all of them, I can view the video on my mac but I can't figure out how to import it into iMovie. Nothing seems to work. When they talk about codec, I am completely lost but I see that term mentioned all the time. They need "Video Converters of Dummies" then maybe I'll be able to figure it out.I've been trying to do this for3 hours so far. Keep the tips coming because sooner or later, something will work. Thanks again.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:13 AM   #5

If you have a Mac, try 'importing' the movie file using iTunes. I've had really good luck doing it that way.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:12 AM   #6

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll keep them in mind. Right after my response last night, I got a call from my daughter, who lives nearby, with the news that her house was on fire but all were out safe. It was a total loss and has made us rethink our vacation. We are postponing it for now while we all work through what has to be done. I will revisit this when I can but time is not as important right now. Some things are much more important then vacation. Thanks everyone.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:47 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrebele View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll keep them in mind. Right after my response last night, I got a call from my daughter, who lives nearby, with the news that her house was on fire but all were out safe. It was a total loss and has made us rethink our vacation. We are postponing it for now while we all work through what has to be done. I will revisit this when I can but time is not as important right now. Some things are much more important then vacation. Thanks everyone.
Best of luck with your daughter. I know what I would do. I would be there helping her. The MH can be quite handy in situations like this.
billdreamlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 08:43 PM   #8

I wanted to update this post with some good news. We have been able to work things out with our daughter and her family to the point that we will be able to take off for Florida only 2 days late. The other good news is that I eventually found a solution that seems to work for Garmin Dash Cam 20 and iMovie. I purchased a license to Wondershare video converter and it works very well. Now I can't wait to set out on our adventure and document it on iMovie. Thank you everyone for the suggestions that eventually led me to a solution.

Tags
computer, dash