Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2013, 10:16 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
RV Trip Wizard
Deek,

POI Factory (POI Factory | new & interesting places for your GPS) is a a website where individuals can create and download POI (Point of Interest) files which can then be loaded into your GPS. There are thousands of different files to choose from, many oriented towards RE'ers.
0nTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeplazek View Post
I wonder if you will be able to add the RV software to the Dezl?? That would be the best deal. Then you would have all the camp ground features with the truck stops and rest areas.

Joe, I did ask just that very question yesterday and Garmin customer support encouraged others to contact Garmin and ask for that option as well. See my post in another thread http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/garmi...ml#post1639630

If there's enough interest, maybe we Dezl owners can make it happen!

Michelle
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:41 AM   #17
laj

I would sure be interested in adding it to mine. it would make a great unit into the ultimate.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:42 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
OnTheRoad --

Thanks very much for the link to POI Factory! Great resource.

Joe --

If you get more info on Garmin making available the RV download for those of us who have already purchased the dezl 760, please be sure to post on this thread so that we have instructions on how to make it happen. If you think we need to be in touch directly with Garmin to get this accomplished, let us know -- I, for one, will be glad to email or write them.

Thanks!

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:18 PM   #19

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nTheRoad View Post
I purchased the DEZL in December and as stated by others it has Truck, RV and Auto modes. I use the RV mode but it still uses all the truck features, tells of road hazards, hills, sharp turns, etc.

When I saw that Garmin was going to introduce the RV I queried Garmin about either swapping or reprogramming the DEZL to the RV. They offered to trade the units for $240. I called to inquire and the tech told me that the units are VERY similar and he explained the differences...the DEZL actually has more features than the RV. He asked what specifically I was looking for in the RV that the DEZL has so I discussed with him the routing (RV vs Truck), he told me they were the same, so I asked about campground listings...he told me the main difference of simplicity, the RV allows access to campground directly from the "Where To" menu, the DEZL requires a couple of clicks (select LODGING first, then Campgrounds). Bottom line, I decided not the change and saved the $240 upgrade fee.

I also downloaded one of the Campground POI files from POI factory which has LOTS of campgrounds.

I am very happy with my DEZL, its a great GPS.
:: I use the RV mode but it still uses all the truck features, tells of road hazards, hills, sharp turns, """

So if you program propane hazard in truck mode and you are running in Rv mode will it still tell you if there is a propane hazard and re-route you in rv mode ?

thank's
mike
mikebrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:00 AM   #20

Evergreen Owners Club
I just spoke with Garmin and with the dezl 760 it will warn you about hazards "propane " in truck mode but not Rv mode " so they say " . they said you can switch back and forth between mode's if you have to ..
I was hoping that it would still warn in Rv mode , If someone has the dezl 760 and it does warn in Rv mode please post.

Thank you
mike
mikebrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:02 AM   #21

Got my RV760 in July and have only made about 3 trips so far but I have to say "very impressed". Garmin really did a nice job with this one. I thought the ability to make up a RV profile (when I tow I am just under 75ft long) to keep me off roads and streets that would not allow me there was the selling feature. I found the feature I like the most are the audible and visual alerts to upcoming events, Speed Zones, Curves, Bridge Weight Limits, Auto Accidents, etc,,

If this unit save me one traffic violation it was worth every penny!!

joe
joeplazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeplazek View Post
I know the Dezl unit has been out there a while but the RV unit is fairly new. Just wanted to know if anyone has had experience with one or both. I will buy one but I want to know the differences in software (trucker vs RV) The natural thing would be the RV unit but I hate to find out after that the trucker unit would work better for my use.

joe
I have look at both and bought the Dezl ; it seems to include all functions of the RV 760 and has the extra functions of the Truck, like carrying hazardous fuels like propane.
I am not pleased though with the small numbers of campgrounds included, many large campgrounds are not listed on both models(same list)
Mike
MikeBangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:12 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBangelo View Post
I have look at both and bought the Dezl ; it seems to include all functions of the RV 760 and has the extra functions of the Truck, like carrying hazardous fuels like propane.
I am not pleased though with the small numbers of campgrounds included, many large campgrounds are not listed on both models(same list)
Mike
A lot of people use sites like this one POI Factory | new & interesting places for your GPS and then install POI's that they want.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:19 AM   #24

Hey All,
I'm new to the whole GPS thing so please bear with me. First to be sure I understand: the speed limit change feature gives you a verbal warning of an upcoming change in the speed limit in time for you to slow down--is this correct? (I understand that these warnings may not be absolutely current and may not cover construction etc.)
Second does anyone know of a less expensive model that has the speed change warning feature as I am much more interested in this than in all the other RV or trucking features.
Thanks
ROADOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:52 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROADOG View Post
Hey All,
I'm new to the whole GPS thing so please bear with me. First to be sure I understand: the speed limit change feature gives you a verbal warning of an upcoming change in the speed limit in time for you to slow down--is this correct? (I understand that these warnings may not be absolutely current and may not cover construction etc.)
Second does anyone know of a less expensive model that has the speed change warning feature as I am much more interested in this than in all the other RV or trucking features.
Thanks
Have not heard of another. But it is a great feature that I use every mile. I had the sharp curve warning on also but Garmins idea of a sharp curve and mine differed,,, LOL Had to shut that alert off!!

joe
Old 10-22-2013, 05:40 PM   #26

I think the 760LMT, Dezl or RV, is marvellous. We just came back from the Oregon coast and I thought I was on an airplane with fasten your seatbelt tone going off all the time. Warning of speed changes, sharp curves, traffic congestion....it was hilarious.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #27

I have used both units on the same route and am not exactly thrilled with the routing from either unit. The route is 81 - 70- 695 - 95 - US1. I even had the Dezl unit profile with explosives but it still tried to route me into Baltimore and through the tunnel because the route is more direct. I like the Dezl unit because of the dashboards. I tried to just use my car GPS but it is too far to see in the RV. Both units (Dezl in RV mode), tried to route me all over the place to the KOA. The KOA was only a couple miles off my route but due to truck restrictions, it didn't want to go down a certain road and added about 30 minutes to the destination. The road is approved for RV's though. I like a GPS for knowing where I am at, when I am getting there and such but I will not rely on the Dezl 760 to route me the way I really want to go.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:22 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
I have used both units on the same route and am not exactly thrilled with the routing from either unit. The route is 81 - 70- 695 - 95 - US1. I even had the Dezl unit profile with explosives but it still tried to route me into Baltimore and through the tunnel because the route is more direct. I like the Dezl unit because of the dashboards. I tried to just use my car GPS but it is too far to see in the RV. Both units (Dezl in RV mode), tried to route me all over the place to the KOA. The KOA was only a couple miles off my route but due to truck restrictions, it didn't want to go down a certain road and added about 30 minutes to the destination. The road is approved for RV's though. I like a GPS for knowing where I am at, when I am getting there and such but I will not rely on the Dezl 760 to route me the way I really want to go.
Exactly right. I have found the same thing. I always map my route out before I go then check the route on the Garmin to see how it differs. If I don't like what route its using I do not engage directions until I am close to my destination. Then it seems to work fine.

joe