Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2013, 01:03 PM   #1

Garmin Dezl 760 vs Garmin RV 760

I know the Dezl unit has been out there a while but the RV unit is fairly new. Just wanted to know if anyone has had experience with one or both. I will buy one but I want to know the differences in software (trucker vs RV) The natural thing would be the RV unit but I hate to find out after that the trucker unit would work better for my use.

joe
joeplazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #2

The Dezl 560/760 also have RV mode MY older 560 has 4 modes actually. But some seem to claim it only has three modes. Go figure. Anyhow, how many modes does the RV760 have?
Old 06-27-2013, 01:22 PM   #3

Since the RV 760 hasn't been released yet, I doubt you will get many answers.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:43 PM   #4

I see that the RV unit is available July 15th 2013 and the Dezl won't ship until July 9th 2013 as they are back ordered through GPS City here in Canada. Well,,, I like that fact that the Dezl has got an RV mode and since I would be looking for truck stops and rest areas mostly it might be the right match. I don't use many campgrounds as we race motocross and its usaully one track to the next. I have been using my Zumo 660 but of course I can' set vehicle perimeters with it. Great for the auto or bike,,, not so much for the RV.

joe
Old 06-27-2013, 05:53 PM   #5

Here's a reply I got on the same question to GPS City -

The Garmin Dezl 760LMT will have features more relevant to commercial trucking.
Trucking-friendly (provides specialized routing to support truck-related restrictions).

The Garmin RV 760LMT will have features more relevant to Recreational Vehicles.
Specialized RV routing supports RV-related restrictions in both the U.S. and Canada (customizable by height, weight, length, width)
Shows America's RV parks and service locations
Displays elevation grade of current roads while driving
Includes RV specific features such as state border notices, speed limit changes, sunrises/sunsets and mile marker info.

Garmin RV 760LMT Comparison Table
Old 06-27-2013, 08:39 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks, Joe. Nice comparison piece.

Bought the dezl 760LMT in December, 2013 when it first hit and have really enjoyed it. Great GPS. Would be torn what to do about selling it to get the RV model and losing on what we bought with the dezl already -- but definitely would be attracted to the RV model.

Wonder if Garmin will do anything for dezl owners who want to switch to the RV model? Probably not but it might be worth an inquiry to Garmin.

Deek
FMCA #363986 / What an Incredible Hoot!
2022 Newmar New Aire 3541 / Freightliner with DriveTech / 2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited Eco-diesel / NHSO
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:49 AM   #7

I wonder if you will be able to add the RV software to the Dezl?? That would be the best deal. Then you would have all the camp ground features with the truck stops and rest areas.

Still not sure which one to order,,,???

joe
Old 06-28-2013, 05:10 PM   #8

Ordered the RV 760 today. Hope it's the right move,,, LOL
Old 06-28-2013, 05:21 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ordered the RV760 as well. Hopefully it will be here for the start of our trip at the end of July.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
Ordered the RV760 as well. Hopefully it will be here for the start of our trip at the end of July.

LOL,,, and for our trip July 21 for us,,,, Good Luck!!
Old 06-29-2013, 05:45 AM   #11

Garmin RV 760LMT Comparison Table

Here's a good comparison chart I found.

joe
Old 07-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #12

Just seen on another post that the Dezl allows you to "equip" your truck with propane as to keep you off non propane routes,,, claims are the RV does not allow this feature,,, go figure??
Old 07-05-2013, 08:56 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
RV Trip Wizard
I purchased the DEZL in December and as stated by others it has Truck, RV and Auto modes. I use the RV mode but it still uses all the truck features, tells of road hazards, hills, sharp turns, etc.

When I saw that Garmin was going to introduce the RV I queried Garmin about either swapping or reprogramming the DEZL to the RV. They offered to trade the units for $240. I called to inquire and the tech told me that the units are VERY similar and he explained the differences...the DEZL actually has more features than the RV. He asked what specifically I was looking for in the RV that the DEZL has so I discussed with him the routing (RV vs Truck), he told me they were the same, so I asked about campground listings...he told me the main difference of simplicity, the RV allows access to campground directly from the "Where To" menu, the DEZL requires a couple of clicks (select LODGING first, then Campgrounds). Bottom line, I decided not the change and saved the $240 upgrade fee.

I also downloaded one of the Campground POI files from POI factory which has LOTS of campgrounds.

I am very happy with my DEZL, its a great GPS.
0nTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
OnTheRoad -

Good post. Thanks for updating us. All you say sounds good to me. I am in same category -- own the dezl 760LMT and love it, but wonder what we're missing with the RV model. You answered that IMO.

But I have a question for you -- what is "POI Factory"???

Deek
FMCA #363986 / What an Incredible Hoot!
2022 Newmar New Aire 3541 / Freightliner with DriveTech / 2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited Eco-diesel / NHSO
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote