Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2009, 04:48 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have loved using my laptop with Streets & Trips w/gps module in the rig. However, DW gave me a Garmin 260WT for Christmas so I had to gracefully accept it (my young tech-savvy nephew talked her into buying the thing). Perhaps I will grow to like it but was not terribly impressed on first use.

It seems difficult to locate 'via' points along a route when you want to tell it to avoid certain points or to follow a more desirable route. Also, on our trip from Myrtle Beach to home, it could not locate many miles of route 220 (future I-73) even though that portion of the roadway has been open for about one year. Just for fun, I asked it to locate a couple of stores in Roanoke that have been open for at least one year, and it could not locate them.

I checked the Garmin website for map upgrades but there are none for this device. I was surprised at that since I would think their newest models would be more up to date.

Also, I cannot find any info. in the manual or online about any ability to download routes to the Garmin. I would love to be able to create a trip in S & T and download it to the device. Can that be done?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2009, 04:48 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have loved using my laptop with Streets & Trips w/gps module in the rig. However, DW gave me a Garmin 260WT for Christmas so I had to gracefully accept it (my young tech-savvy nephew talked her into buying the thing). Perhaps I will grow to like it but was not terribly impressed on first use.

It seems difficult to locate 'via' points along a route when you want to tell it to avoid certain points or to follow a more desirable route. Also, on our trip from Myrtle Beach to home, it could not locate many miles of route 220 (future I-73) even though that portion of the roadway has been open for about one year. Just for fun, I asked it to locate a couple of stores in Roanoke that have been open for at least one year, and it could not locate them.

I checked the Garmin website for map upgrades but there are none for this device. I was surprised at that since I would think their newest models would be more up to date.

Also, I cannot find any info. in the manual or online about any ability to download routes to the Garmin. I would love to be able to create a trip in S & T and download it to the device. Can that be done?
Old 01-02-2009, 05:36 AM   #3

Yes, these are all drawbacks to most GPS units. Data can be 1-3 years out of date depending upon the service providers ability to update their records. Garmin does not do any of this, they just buy the POI information.
As to downloading routes, you will need to use the included MapSource mapping software, create your route their and then download that to the Garmin.
You can also add via points by setting a start to end route and then selecting POI's or intersections, etc as a new destination. There should be an advanced button which allows you to insert this point into the route.
I have found that none of the GPS units have much value if you are traveling around a town you already know but when you take a trip you will find that it is a valuable piece of hardware that is much more convenient and secure then having to haul your laptop around.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:39 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
I have a Nuvi and while I don't use it much it does work well for me. I too bought it new and was surprised to find that when I went to register the device at the Garmin website that I got a message that the map SW in it was outdated and could not be registered as is. I provided some information and Garmin sent me the latest map upgrade, on CD, for free. I updated the SW and registered OK.

There are areas of recent construction that are not properly conveyed on this device, but it would probably take another SW load to catch up. Compared to carrying around a laptop in my car, it works just fine. I think you will become accustomed to using it.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:18 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I use MS S&T and just bought the 2009 version.

I also use a Garmin Nuvi 255W (with 2009 maps) and an older TomTom 510.

I've been using MS S&T in the motorhome. My son usually travels with us and keeps an eye on the laptop. I find it way to distracting when driving. My wife is not very interested.

On our November trip to FL for the winter it was only my wife and I in the motorhome.

Every evening I would plan a route on the laptop with MS S&T. Since I like the back roads I made some notes with nothing but towns and cities that I wanted to travel through. For a days driving the list would consist of 5 or 6 towns spaced 50-100 miles apart.

I then entered these towns into my Garmin 255W. I did not run the laptop while driving. When I reached on of my towns I would tell the 255W to Go To the nest town. Worked well.

I know after I plan my daily route that I can set waypoints or vias but my method was easy with no knowledge of how the 255W operates.

-Tom

Crossing the bridge to St. George Island, FL. Note the motorhome icon. I downloaded the icon from Garmin's website.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:39 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
There was no MapSource mapping software included with my 255W, unless I missed it on the included CD.

I think MapSource is included with handheld Garmin GPS units. Are you certain it is included with the Nuvi series of GPSs??

POIs can be easily installed with Garmin's POI Loader softer. POIs are available at poi-factory.

-Tom

Old 01-02-2009, 06:55 AM   #7

I have a 1.5 - 2 year old Nuvi 200 and just paid $69.99 or something like that to upgrade the map. Its biggest problem is finding satellites...I did download a bunch of POIs from the poifactory.com - you can look at the data in the files before you import it - I found that some files just didn't have enough information to be helpful.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:49 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
If you have never updated your 200's operating software you should do so from Garmin's website.

http://www8.garmin.com/product...ter/howtoinstall.jsp

The latest update allows the older versions to find the satellite's quicker.

After you install the update the software list the updates and what has changed in that update.

I updated 3 with in the last month.

-Tom

Old 01-04-2009, 05:27 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Neither my GVN 53 nor my Nuvi 250W came with Mapsource software. Each has a version of City Navigator loaded internally and they accept updates via an SD card. Garmin sells maps for these models on SD cards or in some cases as downloadable files that can be installed on the GPS using Garmin update software and a USB cable.

Any new Nuvi should come with 2009 City Navigator maps or be upgradeable to 2009 for free if you request an update after purchase. Otherwise you have to buy the upgrade. What version of maps is already on your 260WT?

I agree the Nuvis are somewhat less flexible on routing, Vias, etc. than previous Garmins (e.g. Street Pilot) and laptop-based systems, but they are simple to operate. Our Nuvi is the first GPS we've ever had that my wife will use - in fact she is enthusiastic about it.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 07:56 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
I use DeLorme StreetAtlas on my PC, and create routes to download to my Garmin StreetPilot. I can do all the routing with via's, stops, POI's, etc and then quickly and easily download to my Garmin by simply selecting a tab on the StreetAtlas menu.
RedT is offline   Reply With Quote