Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2014, 08:28 AM   #1

Garmin RV 760

I just purchased a Garmin 760 & used it for the last couple of weeks.
Almost every time I set a destination from the list that is programmed in the unit such as a truck stop or RV park it routes me to the correct exit but most of the time the directions are in correct, the destination is on the opposite side of the highway or on the other side of the street. I tried while actually sitting in a Pilot routing me to the nearest truck stop & the Garmin would tell me to cross the highway, first time I used it I was heading for a Walmart & the. Garmin had me in the right lane going south & I was looking at the Walmart on the opposite side of the highway.
Anybody else experienced this?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2014, 08:39 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I have the 3590LMT and I use it for both the car and RV. I have found that when I use the RV routing I really get some off the wall routes . I just use the car routing. I would suggest that a call to Garmin might be the best way to get the problem resolved Support | Garmin. If it works out and you get it resolved please post the solution on the blog here.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtovo View Post
Almost every time I set a destination from the list that is programmed in the unit such as a truck stop or RV park it routes me to the correct exit but most of the time the directions are in correct, the destination is on the opposite side of the highway or on the other side of the street. I tried while actually sitting in a Pilot routing me to the nearest truck stop & the Garmin would tell me to cross the highway, first time I used it I was heading for a Walmart & the. Garmin had me in the right lane going south & I was looking at the Walmart on the opposite side of the highway.
I will be getting mine on Monday but you need to go over to https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Garmin760/info and join. Good info and get some help if needed. I belong to the Country Coach forum there and now the Garmin forum.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:36 AM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to ROMANICHEL
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtovo View Post
It happened to me also but mostly with Wal-Mart location, download the POI for Wal-Mart and many other Cosco, Cracker Barel ..... and use the POI as searching base, works great for me. :thumbup:
Old 04-13-2014, 09:45 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
We've used our DEZL 760 for lots of miles, both in the car and RV across country and back. Have not had that problem crop up. It did want to change our route mid road one time and thru us for a loop and we decided to not follow the new advice and we ended up in a REALLY bad traffic jam from an accident. The Garmin had tried to route us around it on a better route and we did not listen to it. Not that we will just blindly listen to it but we should have known something was up since it was in the middle of Los Angeles and it never at the last minute changes an exit and route like that.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:00 AM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to ROMANICHEL
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
We've used our DEZL 760 for lots of miles, both in the car and RV across country and back. Have not had that problem crop up. It did want to change our route mid road one time and thru us for a loop and we decided to not follow the new advice and we ended up in a REALLY bad traffic jam from an accident. The Garmin had tried to route us around it on a better route and we did not listen to it. Not that we will just blindly listen to it but we should have known something was up since it was in the middle of Los Angeles and it never at the last minute changes an exit and route like that.
Like your comments PyrateSilly : The only time on got into trouble is when I ignored Garmin direction and tried to follow my own instinct.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:52 PM   #7

Have you upgraded the maps? They usually come with an older set of maps. Upgrade and try again.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:29 PM   #8

I've got the Dezl 760 and have seldom had this problem. I downloaded several POI sets from the POI Factory. I use the Walmart POI I downloaded as it is faster for me to find the Walmart I'm looking for than trying to use the Garmin data set. I also downloaded the Campgrounds POI file and use it almost all the time since it seems to have more campgrounds than the Garmin set. One nice feature with the POI Factory POI's is that they seem to be updated more frequently than the Garmin.

If you are unfamiliar with downloading POI's to the Garmin, the POI Factory site has good information.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:49 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have put about 11,000 miles on ours including a 9,000 mile trip out west last summer. It can make mistakes. In Seattle it wanted us to turn left when I could see ahead the on-ramp was on the right. Also a few others like that. And it wouldn't let us enter Yellowstone from the east as OTR trucks are not permitted in the park except for delivery, so it tried to route us to the south entrance, much out of our way. Sometimes you have to use common sense.

And in some Oklahoma town it tried to take us to a Wal-Mart that relocated 3 miles away at least a year earlier.

I still haven't figured out when and why, and how it will give traffic reports. How does it get current traffic info?
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:59 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I got my 760 dezle for our 5,500 mile current trip. I've learned a lot about setting it up. You can be a truck, an RV, or an automobile. And the shortest route verses the fastest will give you entirely different results (like taking me on frontage roads today in Dallas, Texas). If you take some time with it, it's great!
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote