Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2013, 08:49 AM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hey Bruce - sounds great and is on my shopping list! Send me $400 and give me a shot at beating best ROI. Note: all investments contain risk. Not FDIC insured. Etc etc...
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2013, 03:02 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
Used the 760 yesterday for 300 miles of mixed 2 lane and freeway roads. This is an incredible leap forward in GPS design! Everything is better than my 2 year old Nuvi. Speech synthesis is great, spoken directions make sense, hazard warnings like Sharp Curve Ahead are spot on, even speed limit change warnings are accurate. Voice control works great, "Hey Lola, take me to the closest Dairy Queen and order a large Blizzard for me". Well, not quite but you get the idea. The "What's Ahead" display is a great feature. I'm having some trouble creating a custom display in there, but its probably my fat fingers. Volume and clarity of sound are greatly improved over previous models, and having hands free control of volume is very useful (and safe). Altogether the best 400 bucks I ever spent.
Sounds like a winner, Bruce. I can't wait till mid-September when we get to use ours on an actual RV road trip. So far we have only tested it in the car, and we LOVE it. I really like the blue-tooth cellphone pairing capability for hands free calling.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:19 PM   #45

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
1,100 miles on the 760. Best feature yet: The word Recalculating appears to have been eliminated from Garmin's vocabulary! Following a route, decide to deviate to a rest area, gas station etc. The 760 recognizes you are off the route but just quietly gives directions to get back on.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:46 PM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
1,100 miles on the 760. Best feature yet: The word Recalculating appears to have been eliminated from Garmin's vocabulary! Following a route, decide to deviate to a rest area, gas station etc. The 760 recognizes you are off the route but just quietly gives directions to get back on.

x2!!!! I will NOT miss that "recalculating, recalculating ....."
Old 09-01-2013, 09:24 AM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
The very first time using my RV760 I changed the intended route the GPS has chosen and was expecting that annoying "recalculating".

Wow, was I ever a happy camper when she kept her trap shut. I thought maybe it was a minor mistake but a mile or two later I took a different ramp to get on the freeway, one that was much easier and it was, "OK, I'll go with the flow and just give you new instructions."

I like that!

Now I wish that Garmin would update the firmware on my older Nuvi 465LMT unit to do the same.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #48

Just not happy with this device so am unloading. I don't like the way it routes. See my add. I got it on sale price too!
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:14 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Just not happy with this device so am unloading. I don't like the way it routes. See my add. I got it on sale price too!
WHAT?? What does "I don't like the way it routes" mean? Not to mention "I got in on sale price"?

Need some more detail as to what you don't like about it and where in the world did you get a "sale price"?

Like mine! NO complaints, just work arounds to satisfy me.
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:56 AM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
x2!!!! I will NOT miss that "recalculating, recalculating ....."
I dunno. I kinda miss the fact that you are never lost but just off route recalculating!
Old 09-03-2013, 08:26 AM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
99% of the time the recalculating was just plain annoying. We knew we were off route either getting gas or a rest stop or a meal or well you get the idea. The other 1% is was a difficult area where it was hard to figure out which lane to really get into to take which of the 3 to 5 roads branching off to take so at that point we were watching the GPS anyway to verify the right road.
For a trip we look at different routes and pick the way we want to go. As in when going from CA to MI should it be the northern route or the southern route so we decide which way. We look at the major roads and decide if we see anything we want to stop at on the way or while on the way if we see something we want to look at we stop like the last trip we stopped off to see Herbert Hoover's birthplace and picked up another cancellation stamp for the national parks book. We already have an idea on the major parts of the route before we take off so yea that recalculating is/was really annoying. The GPS is a minor guide to keep us in the right direction. We actually keep the GPS on mute most of the time anyway since we listen to books, CB or music or just talking.

So no I will NOT miss the "recalculating".
Old 09-03-2013, 09:28 AM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Just a "minor" clarification for those people who don't read the entire thread, the RV760-LMT unit eliminated the annoying "recalculating".

WRT routing, that's more of a personal preference which you can change on the fly without difficulty.

Personally, I think the RV760-LMT is one of the best GPS devices that Garmin has ever made so far. It is certainly 1000% better than the Garmin Nuvi 465-LMT I had previously.

The Voice Command, Trip Planner, APPS capability, large clear screen, clear sound and lane assist are just some of the few that separate the RV760 from the rest in the marketplace today.

For those people who own the Garmin RV760-LMT GPS, I would suggest joining a newly formed Yahoo Group just for the RV760. Follow this link to join.

Yahoo! Groups

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by stik View Post
WHAT?? What does "I don't like the way it routes" mean? Not to mention "I got in on sale price"?

Need some more detail as to what you don't like about it and where in the world did you get a "sale price"?

Like mine! NO complaints, just work arounds to satisfy me.
I managed to get mine at the 200 price when they screwed up. WRT routing, the RV760 routes you like a truck. I wanted to go to a KOA. The 760 wanted to route me about an hour extra all around to stay on truck routes when the direct route is perfectly fine. I compared a 2595 and the 760 today again going back to the same KOA. 2595 routed me the way it should have, directly to the campground. the 760 wanted to route me all over the place, way out of my way. I am not a truck, I am an RV. I don't believe there is any special RV routing whatsoever with the 760LMT. That being said, mine is still available for sale if someone wants it. I prefer a face to face deal near Philly but can mail it.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #54

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
I managed to get mine at the 200 price when they screwed up. WRT routing, the RV760 routes you like a truck. I wanted to go to a KOA. The 760 wanted to route me about an hour extra all around to stay on truck routes when the direct route is perfectly fine. I compared a 2595 and the 760 today again going back to the same KOA. 2595 routed me the way it should have, directly to the campground. the 760 wanted to route me all over the place, way out of my way. I am not a truck, I am an RV. I don't believe there is any special RV routing whatsoever with the 760LMT. That being said, mine is still available for sale if someone wants it. I prefer a face to face deal near Philly but can mail it.
My RV760 sometimes tries to route me in funny ways. When it does, I go into the settings and see if the navigation is set for fastest route or shortest route and change it to fit my needs. Have you checked this setting? When I change mine, it has corrected the route to my liking. Also, disable all the avoidances. This may help you. For instance, if your Garmin is set to avoid U-turns, it will take you out of your way so your destination is always on your right side.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:02 AM   #55

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i got me one in mid july
it is imo great compared to the old busted garmin ique3600
i like how it links to my smart phone and rv radio and weather links

so far only used it for shrt trips
but i am learning
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennersonf View Post
My RV760 sometimes tries to route me in funny ways. When it does, I go into the settings and see if the navigation is set for fastest route or shortest route and change it to fit my needs. Have you checked this setting? When I change mine, it has corrected the route to my liking. Also, disable all the avoidances. This may help you. For instance, if your Garmin is set to avoid U-turns, it will take you out of your way so your destination is always on your right side.
Turned off all the avoidance's, no change. Changed from quickest to shortest. It changed it, but still not how it could have routed it. Well, I am still selling it for not much than I paid and I didn't pay full price. I don't like it, but someone else may be more than happy with it.