Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2013, 01:49 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Garmin RV 760LMT

Anyone tried out this navigation system? Is it worth $400? Don't mind the typo, I meant Garmin
Donrosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #2

Hard for me to spend that much money when I have an iPhone 5 that has great navigation FOR FREE. The new google maps is AWESOME. Yes, it doesnt have routes specifically for semi trucks, but it has fantastic route selection, interface, earth images and traffic for-----FREE. The new google maps will also let you download maps for a local vicinity to be used "offline".

IMHO the traditional garmin/tom tom/magellan technology is long past dead.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #3

Yes my wife uses the I-Phone. Does a great job,
But we still use a paper tales too. Our 2013 Journey has one also,
but we have started using ir for just the map.
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I just received my 760LMT mid July. So far I like it but several routes are longer in RV mode compared to auto mode.

For example, from my home in Overland Park, KS to my Lake Home at Lake of the Ozarks, RV mode wants to take me to I-70 versus car mode on Highway 50. I-70 is about 8 miles north of Highway 50 in Kansas City, but Highway 50 is about 18 miles south of I-70 on Highway 65 to follow the Garmin routing in RV mode, so it is about 26 miles out of the way for no reason.

Just returned from SD and it performed flawlessly but 95% of the routing is Interstate were I went.

I also have an iPhone 5, my maps don't work when you don't have a signal so I prefer to have a GPS stand alone device with me for those times. In addition, the height restrictions available on the Garmin is nice as well as the large display.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:34 PM   #5

I don't believe your iPhone will prevent you from hitting a low overpass or route you around a bridge that you are too heavy for. The Garmin RV 760 LMT will allow you to insert the dimensions and weight of your rig and will route you safely. I have had several occasions where I have had to panic stop because of an overpass less than 12 ft clearance and have had to disconnect the toad and back all the back down a road because I was too heavy for a bridge.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:41 PM   #6

Carolina Campers
Using an iPhone is good, you will find having a GPS is also a must, unless you only travel in heavily populated cities.

Places you need a GPS includes back roads in NC, SC, FL, TN, OK, GA, TX, VA.... Or almost anywhere
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We have 2 "smartphones" with google maps. We also have a Garmin 760LMT, we would not travel without the GPS. We have had too many times of the cell phone losing the signal at the drop of a hat. Besides we can look things up on the phones, make calls and still have the GPS showing the route with no interruptions.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:21 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
the gps's on any smart phone are nice provided you have cell service in that area. i use waze when in my toad or personal car which BTW is an awesome free navigtion package, but i use the 760 in the MH for the low clearances and RV routing.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #9

I have the new Garmin RV760LTM, and performs great. Warned of upcoming steep grades and when approaching Minneapolis warned of trafiic construction and offered a alternative route. Wouldn't travel without it.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #10

I have a 465T Garmin, which gives me the option to switch between Auto and
Truck. In the truck version, it will give me the MH height warnings, width and etc. It will also avoid roads which are not recommended for truck roads. This unit is a number of years old. the 460LMT is similar but much more geared towards RV and camping use. I would love to have one instead but feel it is somewhat overpriced. Probably so because it is new. With some time and competition the price will come down, - and my time will come, LOL.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:37 PM   #11

I've been using mine since I left Texas a little over a week ago and am now at Glacier Natl Park in Montana.
It has been a lifesaver and has worked flawlessly. Warns you of sharp curves, steep grades, etc.
And the voice command lets you find destinations verbally as you drive.
On a scale of 1 - 10, I'd give it a 10.5........
Old 08-11-2013, 06:31 AM   #12

Have to convice the better half that I need one, LOL.

Enjoy Glacier Ntl Park,
Old 08-11-2013, 06:36 AM   #13

The RV GPS reroutes because of limitations it recognizes that your auto would easily take or navigate around - whatever they are. At times, I guess, these limitations taken would not seem to be acceptable to some people. So, don't let it upset you, look at the general advantages of such a system.

For what it's worth,
Old 08-15-2013, 07:12 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

We tried our RV 760LMT out today for the first time. It's a great unit! Much preferred to the Rand-McNally 7710 that we bought a year or so ago.